Contribute ideas for the perfect high protein breakfast

tropo

Breakfast is problematic for many because most people feel they need to eat it but are not hungry upon waking.

It's quite easy to settle down to a high carb breakfast as most traditional breakfast foods are high in carbs. I like to ensure getting 40 - 50 grams of high quality protein for my first meal or at the very least 30 grams.

I'm a person who cannot settle down to the same food everyday. I need variety. I feel breakfast should also be a meal which is quick and easy to prepare as it's not really the time of day one would feel inclined to make a huge effort to prepare a meal.

I thought it would be interesting to hear various ideas.

As a first contribution, here was my breakfast today:

1. One medium baked potato in jacket. This was prepared the previous night and heated.

2. 3 small tomatoes stewed.

3. 6 fried eggs.

4. Half an avocado sprinkled with Italian salad dressing.

Preparation time around 10 minutes.

I look forward to hearing about your ideas for breakfast.

• Like 1

great idea this op.

I love breakfast and I love to change also.

at the moment I eat yoghurt with enough musli in it. mix it and take a shower first than it is softer. with 4 slices of toast with chicken filet or fried egg (without yolk)

preperation time: 10 minutes

or I ask the wife to make me rice porridge with the leftovers rice with fried egg and some spring onion.

preperation time 0 minutes ;-)

I like a small can of tuna , the one stored in brine , with some raw garlic and chilli and a squeezz of lime , a bit of cucumber sometimes . I just drain the brine and mix it all up in a metal bowl and serve with a slice of bread or on rivita or similar . I keep the ingredients in the bottom drawer of my desk at work . I have an early start and the food available on the way to work doesn't suit my attempts at blood sugar control . I don't bother with mayonaise .

Kippers and fried eggs would be splendid .

I rarely eat breakfast. Never have done since I was about 12 and managed to rebel from having gruel like porridge served up every morning. So I've never really had breakfast apart from coffee.

However, I do have fry-up brunch once a week or so and I starve myself the previous day in preparation. Make it myself. It's an event I do relish but if did it every day I'd be the size of a house.

4 rashers of bacon

2 beef sausages

1 fried egg

2 eggs scrambled

3 hash browns (or fried potatoes if I have some leftovers. Mashed spuds fried in butter - to die for!)

Fried mushrooms

1 Grilled tomato

1 Slice of fried bread

A few slices of black pudding (when I can get it)

Baked Beans (Heinz or Brooklands, can't stand the Thai stuff)

Bubble and Squeak (no meat, just whatever veges I can lay my hands on, mainly cabbage and carrots or whatever is in the fridge)

Topped with HP sauce and a bucket of salt and pepper

Toast and marmalade, and two cups of Tea

I can't eat for the rest of the day and well into the next day. Can't eat it on a golfing day as I'd be buggered after 3 holes.

But the other 6 days of the week I just have coffee until maybe mid afternoon when I'll have a snack (leftovers or a sandwich), and then a meal at say 6pm.

I like a small can of tuna , the one stored in brine , with some raw garlic and chilli and a squeezz of lime , a bit of cucumber sometimes . I just drain the brine and mix it all up in a metal bowl and serve with a slice of bread or on rivita or similar . I keep the ingredients in the bottom drawer of my desk at work . I have an early start and the food available on the way to work doesn't suit my attempts at blood sugar control . I don't bother with mayonaise .

Kippers and fried eggs would be splendid .

That's a decent high protein/low carb start for the day. Have you considered buying the canned red salmon instead of the tuna? I know it's a lot more expensive, but it's a lot tastier and more palatable IMO. You'd get your high protein with the added benefit of omega oils.

• Like 1

Speaking of smoked salmon, this is too good to be true,

with smoked salmon sandwich with boiled egg and this splendiforious sauce,

i like the mustard with horseradish and the red vinegar myself, and lotsa dill.

Be slow when slowly adding more oil so the sauce dont collapse

Ingredients

* Dijon mustard -- 1/4 cup

* White or red wine vinegar -- 1 tablespoon

* Sugar -- 1 tablespoon

* Salt and pepper -- a pinch of each

* Vegetable oil -- 1/2 cup

* Fresh dill, chopped -- 2-3 tablespoons

Method

1. Mix the mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper together well in a medium-sized bowl.

Slowly whisk in the oil.

2. Stir in the chopped dill, adjust seasoning and serve chilled.

Variations

* Try using other types of mustard, but avoid bright yellow mustards.

Swedish-style mustard is mild and sweet. Adjust the amount of vinegar and sugar as needed.

Edited by poanoi

I rarely eat breakfast. Never have done since I was about 12 and managed to rebel from having gruel like porridge served up every morning. So I've never really had breakfast apart from coffee.

However, I do have fry-up brunch once a week or so and I starve myself the previous day in preparation. Make it myself. It's an event I do relish but if did it every day I'd be the size of a house.

4 rashers of bacon

2 beef sausages

1 fried egg

2 eggs scrambled

3 hash browns (or fried potatoes if I have some leftovers. Mashed spuds fried in butter - to die for!)

Fried mushrooms

1 Grilled tomato

1 Slice of fried bread

Bubble and Squeak (no meat, just whatever veges I can lay my hands on, mainly cabbage and carrots or whatever is in the fridge)

I can't eat for the rest of the day and well into the next day. Can't eat it on a golfing day as I'd be buggered after 3 holes.

But the other 6 days of the week I just have coffee until maybe mid afternoon when I'll have a snack (leftovers or a sandwich), and then a meal at say 6pm.

That's an incredible amount of food. I don't think I could get through that. I always adjust the size of my meals so I don't feel bloated.

The only time I eat to excess is when I eat at the evening Hilton buffet on the very odd special occasion. The problem is that I get full too quickly as I haven't trained my stomach to handle a lot of food and that's the one time I would like to eat more.

4 rashers of bacon

2 beef sausages

1 fried egg

2 eggs scrambled

Fried mushrooms

1 Grilled tomato

1 Slice of fried bread

That's an incredible amount of food. I don't think I could get through that. I always adjust the size of my meals so I don't feel bloated.

The only time I eat to excess is when I eat at the evening Hilton buffet on the very odd special occasion. The problem is that I get full too quickly as I haven't trained my stomach to handle a lot of food and that's the one time I would like to eat more.

Yeah it's the Full Monty English Breakfast - only thing missing is the kidneys which I'm not overly fond of. I do confess to retiring to the couch for most of the day to watch the superbikes or MotoGP, all the time telling myself I'll never do that again.........until next week. whistling.gif

Doesn't seem to hurt me. 53yo, 75kg, and drive my NZ doctor nuts because I pass the annual insurance physical with flying colours even though I smoke like a train.thumbsup.gif

........That's an incredible amount of food. I don't think I could get through that. I always adjust the size of my meals so I don't feel bloated.

I've heard the Hilton buffet mentioned a few times. Is it really that good and worth trying?

I'm the same as you, don't often eat to excess but I can (and do) make exceptions for extra good food, especially when there is variety such as a buffet.

I eat six times a day including breakfast and all meals are high in complete protein. I have learned that it is actually not difficult to achieve while also fulfilling my desire for variety. It seems you are sort of after the same, variety and some quality stuff which contains enough protein.

What I do is I often use the same ingredients to get a protein fix such as chicken, lean beef, turkey, eggs, tuna or other fish, sometimes dairy.

For carbs oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes mainly and sometimes some real whole wheat stuff just for good luck.

And these can be prepared in a million ways so you never get bored.

For recipes I would suggest:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/recipes

Sent from one of my devices using the internet

........That's an incredible amount of food. I don't think I could get through that. I always adjust the size of my meals so I don't feel bloated.

I've heard the Hilton buffet mentioned a few times. Is it really that good and worth trying?

I'm the same as you, don't often eat to excess but I can (and do) make exceptions for extra good food, especially when there is variety such as a buffet.

Yeah, it's really good. If I'm going to eat to excess, that's the only place I'll go. I'm talking about the evening sessions from 6 pm until 10:30 pm, not the cheaper (and shorter) afternoon ones. It was 850 baht last time I went. Friday is a special seafood buffet for 100 baht more but I don't go for that one as I'm not a seafood lover.

I have to eat for 2 though, because my little wife can only handle a small plate or two and she's done.biggrin.png

I eat six times a day including breakfast and all meals are high in complete protein. I have learned that it is actually not difficult to achieve while also fulfilling my desire for variety. It seems you are sort of after the same, variety and some quality stuff which contains enough protein.

What I do is I often use the same ingredients to get a protein fix such as chicken, lean beef, turkey, eggs, tuna or other fish, sometimes dairy.

For carbs oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes mainly and sometimes some real whole wheat stuff just for good luck.

I do like meat (chicken, beef, turkey etc), but I seldom eat them for breakfast because I head off to the gym about 1.5 hours after it. The only protein I eat before gym is egg or milk protein. On other days when I don't train I'll eat the other protein foods for breakfast.

I'm in the process of getting my weight down to 90Kg, started at 110 sitting at 103 now after 6 weeks. My breakfast at work is a hard boiled egg, a pear and green tea. An hour or so later I will usually have a tin of sardines and snack on nuts through out the morning. Low carb low fat lunchs and dinners and the weight is coming down nicely. I will indulge on the weekend with something like eggs benedict or an english breakfast but sticking to the diet during the week seems to be working well.

My breakfast this morning, as it is most days, was a protein shake, made with milk (approx. 30g protein ) and an apple.

That is not much but if it works for you then go for it.

I was never really a big breakfast eater, but have been a bit more careful about calorie intake as I am still on a fat-loss diet. Still, even that paltry breakfast is about 350 calories.

16 oz protein shake here too. Soybean milk, coconut milk, protein powder, cocoa powder, oat bran and/or flaxseed meal, cinnamon.

And artificial sweetener. If I'm in a big hurry--rarely indeed--I'll have Greek yoghurt and strawberries.

Edited by JSixpack

Times ago even scientists were promoting cereals as breakfast. In the meantime the wind has changed. And so science.

Today a good breakfast e.g. would be a balanced combination eg proteins and carbos, veggies and fruits. Of course I'm not talking of 6 fried eggs but only one. No bread. Bread is only calories made from processed flour. No benefits at all, makes you only growing old as all processed food. So we will have our fried egg, eat it first because proteins will stay longer in your stomach and will not cause a high increase of insulin. Then eat your veggies, as avocado and some fresh fruits. In general avoid all kind of sugar and flavour enhencer as glutamate or maltodextrine. Between the meals should be 5 hours, only drinking water, no smoothies...Three meals a day is necessary. Last meal not later than 6 pm.

Dr. G.

6 eggs!!!!

Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup): carbs, protein, minerals, vegetables all rolled into one.

Yeah, only 5 eggs if they're jumbo size.biggrin.png

This is not everyday though, but don't worry, I do get my blood lipids checked once every 3 months. So far - so good.

4 rashers of bacon

2 beef sausages

1 fried egg

2 eggs scrambled

Fried mushrooms

1 Grilled tomato

1 Slice of fried bread

I went to the Hilton buffet on Sunday and could only eat one and half plates of food as I only eat small meals. Everyone else was packing in three or four plates!

Anyway for breakfast I have oats with honey, banana and rice milk and sometimes a boiled egg. I am always starving in the morning. If you don't eat a big meal at night and you eat early the night before you surely are going to be hungry in the morning.

I like your carbs choice that is exactly the same as mine oats, brown rice and sweet potato luv em.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

- 3 eggs, dry scrambled or hard boiled

- side of mustard leaf or spinach (about a cup after cooked) - steamed or sautéed in small amount of EV coconut oil

- a beef patty or steak, or a filet of fish, or a pork chop, or a few pieces of bacon

season with ground pepper and dash of sea salt

Satiates til lunch no prob.

Edited by tominbkk
  • Like 1