Tony Blair: People must solve their own internal conflicts

webfact

Tony Blair: People must solve their own internal conflicts
By English News

1378113511700.jpg

BANGKOK, Sept 2 – Former British prime minister Tony Blair said today that internal problems must be solved by the people of the country and the government must maintain its relationship with the minority.

In a speech on “Uniting for the Future, Learning from Each Others’ Experiences,” at Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Political Science, he said the Thai people must collaborate together in passing through past experiences and follow the rule of law.

He said Thailand has economically expanded in the last few decades with outstanding tourism.

Reconciliation is not to change opinions of people in terms of their past experiences but to change people who look towards the future, he said, adding that the peace process in Northern Ireland originated from various experiences. Reconciliation was about sharing, not separating.

“In uniting to solve problems, people must feel that they have to share the future rather than feel bitter with the past. We can analyse the past to move towards the future. It is most difficult to accept dissatisfaction which hinders attempts to continue to the future,” he said.

Mr Blair said the major principle of reconciliation is to set a fair and practical framework for the future and discussions on the roots of conflicts while power must be equally shared without restriction for participation.

In the past, conflicts mostly involved issues like the constitution or seizure of power and it is necessary to create balance based on genuine democracy, he said, explaining that genuine democracy was not merely about casting ballots for the majority to take power.

It is about relationship between the majority and the minority to eliminate the feeling of discrimination among the minority, he said.

“The reconciliation process is not easy but do not surrender. It’s the future of the country. No matter how hard it is, it’s necessary to do and everybody must participate. The leader must be accepted by all sides. Reconciliation will materialise with a strong political will,” he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-09-02

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Former British prime minister Tony Blair said today that internal problems must be solved by the people of the country" - unless that country is Syria eh Tone? What a vile hypocrite he is.

Thanks, I came to say something similar but was having trouble choosing words that wouldn't get me banned...

• Like 1

he said, explaining that genuine democracy was not merely about casting ballots for the majority to take power.

Obviously has no idea how 'voting' works here...it all depends how much you got paid to vote really Tone whistling.gif

Edited by Neilly
  • Like 1

"He said Thailand has economically expanded in the last few decades with outstanding tourism"

Guess he did not here that Thailand is now in recession

and tourism thrives on scams, ripoffs and mafia controlled zones

Hope Yingluck gives him a discount on rice at the airport as he leaves

"He said Thailand has economically expanded in the last few decades with outstanding tourism"

Well the tourism has recovered unlike during the period under the previous administration where it collapsed. They didn't care.

We have record numbers visiting Samui for example and hotels in Bangkok have customers again.

Good governance. Good business.

"Blair said Thailand has economically expanded in the last few decades with outstanding tourism". Apparently Blair gets it.

According to the Thai government tourism is a small fraction of Thailand's economy and does not sway Thailand's statistics.

LOL. Not laughing. LOL is the "Land of Lies".

"Thai people must collaborate together in passing through past experiences and follow the rule of law" so doesnt that mean bring Taksin back to Thailand and lock him up

Who is this Taksin you are on about anyway?

No need for any beams dude, ignorance is bliss and your'e already there.

So why not find a new victim like one who's name you can spell?

Edited by Calimotty

And my opinion of the UK is not affected in the slightest by the last (last) time I visited the uk, when, at Heathrow, an Indian guy took me aside and questioned me, and inspected my gear, asking if I planned to overstay and remain in Great Britain. I replied not in any way.

How do you know he was Indian? Did he show you his passport?

Same thing happened to me only the officer was a rude African (accent) who demanded to know- 'where you come from' I was tempted to ask him the same thing and to add he should have said where are you coming from sir. The way the UK is though these days I might have been arrested for racial abuse if I had, what a dump the UK and in particular London has become, largely thanks to Blair.

• Like 1

Wow. what is this, a gathering point for the Tony Blair haters?  

The man did some good for the UK and he helped get past the deadlock in 2004 in Northern Ireland. Some of that experience is applicable  to Thailand.

As  Middle East Peace Envoy, he  is privy to a great many political issues that devide people. Again, he can share his experience on bridging differences.

Reading some of the comments it appears that some supporters of the Scargill insurrectionist movement are still bitter that Blair didn't  dismantle the Thatcher era   reforms that challenged the blackmail of some big unions. Well boohoo.

Others  offer up the useless blame immigrants line because they need someone to blame. Boo hoo again.

The UK wouldn't need those immigrants, if a great many UK nationals were not so  bloody lazy living it up on the dole.

He's as much.use as Ian Paisley would be

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The man did some good for the UK and he helped get past the deadlock in 2004 in Northern Ireland. Some of that experience is applicable to Thailand.

As Middle East Peace Envoy, he is privy to a great many political issues that devide people. Again, he can share his experience on bridging differences.

Reading some of the comments it appears that some supporters of the Scargill insurrectionist movement are still bitter that Blair didn't dismantle the Thatcher era reforms that challenged the blackmail of some big unions. Well boohoo.

Others offer up the useless blame immigrants line because they need someone to blame. Boo hoo again.

The UK wouldn't need those immigrants, if a great many UK nationals were not so bloody lazy living it up on the dole.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Well the tourism has recovered unlike during the period under the previous administration where it collapsed. They didn't care.

We have record numbers visiting Samui for example and hotels in Bangkok have customers again.

Good governance. Good business.

Neither good governance nor business.

Better economy abroad now allowing people to travel more.

The man did some good for the UK and he helped get past the deadlock in 2004 in Northern Ireland. Some of that experience is applicable to Thailand.

As Middle East Peace Envoy, he is privy to a great many political issues that devide people. Again, he can share his experience on bridging differences.

Reading some of the comments it appears that some supporters of the Scargill insurrectionist movement are still bitter that Blair didn't dismantle the Thatcher era reforms that challenged the blackmail of some big unions. Well boohoo.

Others offer up the useless blame immigrants line because they need someone to blame. Boo hoo again.

The UK wouldn't need those immigrants, if a great many UK nationals were not so bloody lazy living it up on the dole.

At least Tony gets a clearer view of the world these days now his head is no longer stuck down the back of George Dubya's trousers.

• Like 2

Better late than never Tony to realize that. Its easy with hindsight to look back at history and get it right now but Saddam did keep the lid on Iraq and he was never involved with Al qeada, this was just a revenge hit for the 9/11 disasters. Is Iraq really a better place today? Would Syria be a better place if we went and tried to sort it out? When you invade to liberate you do free the country, only the countrry's nationals can do that and looking at the situation that is going on there who are the freedom fighters? At best rag tag coalition of who knows what. The whole place is frawt with danger.

As far as Thailand is concerned I expect his speech will be forgotten in a few days, just like the badminton girl champion was.