ตารางวาSome Bks Say 2 Sq Meters. Or 4 Sq Meters.

OldChinaHam

Hi,

I have a question about surface area and units in Thai.

I have one book which states this is 4 square meters

Then, Google translate states Square two-meters

It seems like Google might mean "area of two meters by two meters"

But then in the back of my mind I am thinking,

Is this just an expression of the size of a tatami mat or something?

What is this DtaaRaangWaa and what is its Origin?

What is the correct surface area of one DtaaRaangWaa?

It is so easy for dictionaries to sometimes express the wrong units and measurements because the compilers of these things are not familiar with working with different systems of measurements of the physical world. This is the bailiwick of physicists.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Just to add an historical note, วา means to stretch out one's arms. The original measurement was based upon the distance from fingertip to fingertip with outstretched arms.

So, I guess this is not based on the measurement of a Tatami.

In that case, do you know if there is another Thai word which is based on the surface area of a Tatami mat, which would be about 3 x 6 feet. Isn't there another traditional Thai measurement of surface area that is based on the Tatami mat, or two tatami mats? I think the Chinese "ping" equivalent might have been used for example at one time in Tha, which is 36 square feet, 6 x 6 feet. Tks.

In that case, do you know if there is another Thai word which is based on the surface area of a Tatami mat

I rather doubt there is. Traditional Thai houses weren't carpeted with mats in the same way that Japanese ones were (and in many cases, still are).

Just to add an historical note, วา means to stretch out one's arms. The original measurement was based upon the distance from fingertip to fingertip with outstretched arms.

I think of it as 4 ศอก Where ศอก is from elbow to middle finger and checked it out. holding your arms out horizontally and bending the elbows to bring the hands together on the chest the middle fingers meet. So another definition of ศอก; the distance from the breast bone to the elbow, isn't that interesting?