Thailand: Alcohol excise taxes raised

webfact

Yes, I agree. Better to have an increase in VAT to try to capture some of the black money rather than the crazy no-tax system in place now ( so long as food and some essentials exempt)

Federal income tax, state income tax, real estate tax, gas tax, state tax on everything from groceries to a new car, county tax, local tax. add all that together and more than 50% of what I earned was eaten up by taxes. Here, even 12% VAT tax is acceptable and so is a small tax increase on alcohol. Still beats how much I was paying in the states. I would prefer it did nto go up but, still, I can live with it.

You can get a fantastic bottle of Chardonnay in the USA for about seven bucks. Something you will NEVER see here.

Pros and cons in both places. My overall tax rate in the US was less than 20%. Sure, some things there are more, but IMHO, some are really good value for your money. Things are definitely getting more expensive here. And I do miss cheap wine!!! 5555555

20%? is that federal tax alone? or is that state and federal and sales tax and real estate tax and local taxes (country/town) etc, etc. several years ago, I kept a careful record of every cent I spent on taxes of one sort or the other (including gasoline tax per gallon) and all combined, was over 50% of my income taken away by one tax or another. I probably go through 3 boxes of beer a month here so, 3 baht per bottle won't effect my life any. though, I do know people that go through 3 or more boxes a week of beer. I can see the complianing a lot.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic