12th train derailment today: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...And another one.

We're almost to the point it doesn't need reporting anymore. We can just wake up in the morning and ask ourselves, 'I wonder how the derailment went today?'.

As sure as the sun will come up in the morning.

Maybe worthy of a permanent sub-forum on Thai Visa?

• Like 1

This is totally ridiculous - how the hell can our rail organisation be allowed to continue providing such dangerous services and NOTHING is being done about it!????

It may get to the point where the papers report only when a train gets through WITHOUT derailing... yay!

• Like 1

The Bangkok post is reporting 13 derailments now, but the Thai social media is reporting that an earlier repair train loaded with concrete supplies to fix the tracks after 7th derailment was over loaded by 3 times to 5 times the maximum weight load. This excessive weight load damaged over 300 km of tracks/ties/sleepers between Bangkok and Chang Mai. I could see it happening in Thailand too, it says in english load to this line on the side of train cars but they fill it to the top full of new concrete ties/sleepers thus exceeding the weight more than 5x just like the trucks on the roads do.

The Bangkok post is reporting 13 derailments now, but the Thai social media is reporting that an earlier repair train loaded with concrete supplies to fix the tracks after 7th derailment was over loaded by 3 times to 5 times the maximum weight load. This excessive weight load damaged over 300 km of tracks/ties/sleepers between Bangkok and Chang Mai. I could see it happening in Thailand too, it says in english load to this line on the side of train cars but they fill it to the top full of new concrete ties/sleepers thus exceeding the weight more than 5x just like the trucks on the roads do.

That's great news as we haven't heard of one for 4 days and I was concerned that Thailand had run out trains.

• Like 1

The 13th derailment occurred yesterday at Talad Phlu, Thonburi on the disconnected short line Maeklong Railway from Wong Wian Yai to Mahachai in Samut Sakhon. The train apparently "jumped off the tracks" after it was attacked by a dog. Average speed on this quaint relic is 30km/h.

post-9891-0-24318500-1378555851_thumb.jp..................post-9891-0-92896400-1378556246_thumb.jp

This is an interesting short line out to the Samut Songkram area separated by the Tha Chin river. A trip back in time.

Edited by ratcatcher
  • Like 1

I often use the railway when traveling to Chiang Mai, Udon Thani and Korat. I may have to start using the bus!

When did we last hear of a train accident where "the driver fled the scene". Trains, despite the problems they seem to be having at the moment, are certainly slower but, IMHO, safer. I don't do buses.

I often use the railway when traveling to Chiang Mai, Udon Thani and Korat. I may have to start using the bus!

When did we last hear of a train accident where "the driver fled the scene". Trains, despite the problems they seem to be having at the moment, are certainly slower but, IMHO, safer. I don't do buses.

I think the trains are trying to --"fled the scene" but not one yet has got very far.laugh.png

Note to self: Avoid Thai trains. coffee1.gif

But it should be almost-safe, from mid-September to end-October, on inactive-trains between Uttaradit & Chiang Mai ?

Unless the inactive trains are moved sideways, into another (off-rail) position, that is ! rolleyes.gif

Note that this section is the bit where the government won't be building a High-Speed line, under current plans, as part of the B2.2-trillion 50-year-debt upgrade. Whyever not ? wink.png

an accident happens and several dozen Farangs bitch and gloat bah.gif

12, 13 or 14 derailments since Jan 2013 totaling over 100 injured. 100s tons of Train coming off the tracks causing injury is very dangerous and not just the normal daily accident. If this happens in a city and not in a remote area 100s could die. The fact they are happening daily in some cases is beyond cause of great concern but total system failure. Bitch? gloat? I think not just discussing the obvious. 100s of tons of moving trains consistently derailing causing injury is unacceptable and not an accident at this rate of failure.

Edited by gosompoi
  • Like 1

Note to self: Avoid Thai trains. coffee1.gif

But it should be almost-safe, from mid-September to end-October, on inactive-trains between Uttaradit & Chiang Mai ?

Unless the inactive trains are moved sideways, into another (off-rail) position, that is ! rolleyes.gif

Note that this section is the bit where the government won't be building a High-Speed line, under current plans, as part of the B2.2-trillion 50-year-debt upgrade. Whyever not ? wink.png

Note that the SRT will operate buses between Uttaradit and Chiang Mai during the repair/closure period. What could go wrong?

• Like 1

Note that the SRT will operate buses between Uttaradit and Chiang Mai during the repair/closure period. What could go wrong?

I cannot imagine who is going to be buying tickets for this mixed "service". Assuming that everything runs relatively on-time, northbound passengers will need to transfer from their overnight sleeper train to a bus in Uttaradit at either three or four o'clock in the morning. blink.png

I am officially scared of all means of transportation in Thailand. Until this year at least I had the trains.

buses are not to proper specs and are top heavy

vans have madmen at the wheel

taxis will beat you for a nickel

motortaxis have you hanging on for dear life

now trains are tipping over.........w00t.gif

p.s. boats are known to crash/sink

Please, please do not forget the Tuk Tuk wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

I had heard they were closing the train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok down for 6 weeks. Really can't see where they figure on accomplishing much in 6 weeks.

an accident happens and several dozen Farangs bitch and gloat bah.gif

Another post pointing out the need for education in Thailand.

I am sure that the government never even checked what Thai Visa has to say about it. They just shut it down them selves. It only took 12 accidents and one bridge wash out for them to figure out that there was some thing wrong.

As for the gloaters hang the idiots.