Authorities plan turning Bangkok's Klong Prem prison into transport hub

webfact

Authorities Plan Turning Prison Into Transport Hub
By Khaosod Online

thub.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Finance Transport Kittirat na Ranong has announced a plan to develop a prison in northern Bangkok into a bustling transport complex.

According to the plan, Klong Prem Central Prison would become a hub for the planned monorail train routes linking Khae Rai district with Lam Salee. The lines will be laid along Ngarmwongwan Road to Kaset Nawamin Road at the length of 21.9 kilometre.

The project is expected to cost 45 billion baht, Prachachart has reported.

As for the hub, it would include commercial assets such retail shops, a community mall, hotels, and serviced apartments, Mr. Kittirat said. Klong Prem Prison is sitting on an area of 5 million square metre.

The Finance Minister, who also serves the Deputy Prime Minister, expects to rezone the areas. The vicinity around Ngarmwongwan Road will become residential zone instead of the current governmental offices district.

Governor of the Mass Rapid Transit Authority (MRTA), Mr. Yongsit Rojsrikul, said that he wishes to create Transit Oriented Development, to develop the area at the train stations to increase profit for MRTA.

The new monorail line will link to other lines under construction, e.g. Pink Line (Khae Rai - Meenburi), Red Line (Bangsue-Rangsit), Green Line (Mo Chit - Saphan Mai), Orange Line (Taling Chan - Meenburi), Yellow Line (Ladprao - Samrong).

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM09ESTNOamcyT0E9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-09-04

It is expected that within one year of opening there will be more hub caps here than anywhere else in the world which is bound to attract thousands of "hub" afficienados who will want to see the museum and walk lazily down Hub Street which will be based on Walking Street with lots of Michelin girls scantily glad in tyres who stroll past offering to give you 30 psi for a considerationgiggle.gif

• Like 1

thats the second hub idea today from Authorities.,,, thats just 2 in a day though.

Authorities, you useless scum, you could do better than that, you are damaging Thailand's only credible reputation the H..hub, apart off course from the S.. hub. Surely 5 hub ideas a day should be possible!

I think a hub committee needs to be set up and hub study trips are an urgent necessity. Yingluck will be your pretty travel guide..

Seems like there maybe a spot for the reds in this plan. What are those buildings with the bright red roofs for?

The article didn't say anything about where they plan to build a new prison to transfer all of the inmates too, or how

much that might cost, or how long it would take, before the grounds could be turned over to the transport hub developers.

Sounds like this could be the 10 to 15 year plan. I think that they should take a good hard look at creating a "Ministry of Hubs"

to do some more in depth planning for these type of (Hub) projects.!!!!

And the prisoners................?

Good old Kittirat - hub of half-cocked schemes.

I thought for a moment that he was suggesting moving Morchit bus station to Klong Prem. They haven't yet come up with a new location for Morchit but I'm sure it will be just as inaccessible to overhead or underground trains.

• Like 1

And the prisoners................?

Good old Kittirat - hub of half-cocked schemes.

I thought for a moment that he was suggesting moving Morchit bus station to Klong Prem. They haven't yet come up with a new location for Morchit but I'm sure it will be just as inaccessible to overhead or underground trains.

People who have nothing to say except insults should crawl under the slimy rock from whence they came.

• Like 1

My initial thought upon reading the title of this article was that this was a jibe into how notoriously goods like cellphones and various amenities are easily transported in and out of Klong Prem Prison if you have the money.

Governments always like new projects so that budgets can be allocated and bureaucractic pockets filled courtesy of pre-arranged bidding "tea money".

Moving prisons away from surrounding communities to remote areas sounds good though. With the numerous uninhabited islands around the coasts of Thailand maybe a new prison styled after Alcatraz to discourage breakouts perhaps? Knowing the ingenenuity of Thai's we'll probably see phones thrown from boats or jetski's in the future!

just get on with it and build the station and depot instead of wasting public money on more shopping malls, serviced apartments etc.bloody scandalous.

facepalm.gif I didnt know Governments built Department stores and Shopping malls

They do here! Its more fun than building universities and schools.

• Like 1