how to chose mangosteen?

mamba yuck

While at Makro one day, a gaggle of women were bagging cheap mangosteens. I bellied up and inquired......'how do you know which ones are good (in Thai)?'

One nice lady handed me a bag to place over my fingers, then told me to give the mangosteens a squeeze. If there is a bit of give (not too much) in the flesh, then they're ready to eat. I picked 3 kilos.......and she was right. The optional bag over your hand is to protect from the flesh staining your fingers.

• Like 1

While at Makro one day, a gaggle of women were bagging cheap mangosteens. I bellied up and inquired......'how do you know which ones are good (in Thai)?'

One nice lady handed me a bag to place over my fingers, then told me to give the mangosteens a squeeze. If there is a bit of give (not too much) in the flesh, then they're ready to eat. I picked 3 kilos.......and she was right. The optional bag over your hand is to protect from the flesh staining your fingers.

yes have noticed this squeezing bit, but wasnt sure what to squeeze for. thanks. maybe i still let the owner do it. seems too much hassle. was hoping for a more visual approach. have one already, if the top leaf-stem like attach things are all faded gray just walk away. havent figured the yellow sap like significance.

Edited by mamba yuck

You have to sqeeze them! If they give a little, then all is well. If they are hard like a rock, forget it, total crap. The yellow stuff, I haven't totally figured out yet. Sometimes it is inside a little, sometimes a lot, sometimes not at all. I ditch the inside parts that have yellow on them.

If you buy pre-packaged, like at Rimping, who I love ...they however, will always put some bad ones (hard ones) in with good ones, so you are better off, just picking your own. Maybe shop owners do the same ...if they do, they know they are doing it, so don't go there, or just pick your own.

• Like 1

yes have noticed this squeezing bit, but wasnt sure what to squeeze for. thanks. maybe i still let the owner do it. seems too much hassle. was hoping for a more visual approach. have one already, if the top leaf-stem like attach things are all faded gray just walk away. havent figured the yellow sap like significance.

A faded grey top is definitely a sign of an aged fruit past it's prime.

Also 'the yellow sap like significance' ... yellow or white ... both signals to avoid.

The visual approach is workable, but that is only selective up to a point.

After that, the squeeze test is best applied.

Like always, beware of the fruit that has been recently or two often squeezed ... best left for the next customer.

Good luck with the Mangosteen hunting.

• Like 1

so am going to squeeze all my mangosteen before opening them and compare the outcomes with the squeeze. very soon i'll be an expert.

first one i tried was rock hard till i squeezed in the right place, inside was a perfect firm white. this assessment process is going to take some time to master. not to worry, i like mangosteen, ate a kilograms worth in less than the past 24 hrs..

Edited by mamba yuck

• 2 weeks later...

well after some pressing and observing, i can confirm that none of the so far selection methods are absolutely fool proof. all of the selection defects mentioned so far have also resulted in fruit that is edible. hard as in great difficulty in pressing the edge of a thai spoon through the cover and then when inside fruit is as required. sure those with the defects mentioned do result in not good fruit but it isnt absolutely certain that the fruit is defective. so you may be passing over good fruit as well as the not good.

notice too that when you let the store owner do the selection, he/she wont discard the failed press fruit but will return it to the pile.tongue.pngblink.png

Edited by mamba yuck

• 3 weeks later...

I enrolled to cooking class in Bangkok and they taught us this one. This was the first time I had mangosteen and I was regretting that I didn't buy a lot because I found out how delicious mangosteen taste. I rarely eat mangosteen here because it's expensive, that's why I was so surprised how cheap the fruit is there in Thailand.