Which new TV to buy

Squigy

One interesting point, if you even want to access UK, US or another countries TV, You cant change the region on LG from ASIA, on the many of the Samsung Smart TV s you can set the region as anywhere you like and download local software like BBC I-player of Netflix. You do need to have a little technical knowledge to set it up, but its not that hard.

One interesting point, if you even want to access UK, US or another countries TV, You cant change the region on LG from ASIA, on the many of the Samsung Smart TV s you can set the region as anywhere you like and download local software like BBC I-player of Netflix. You do need to have a little technical knowledge to set it up, but its not that hard.

You don't need to change the region, you just need to change the format from Pal-BG to Pal- I.

I think you can probably forget 3D sets. 3D is already dead in the water.

Buy a reliable brand and don't allow a low price sway your choice. If price is important, then look for a model that doesn't have 3D. It's no good selecting a TV with all the bells and whistles if you rarely use those features.

My pick of the brands is Sharpe. Made in Japan with a 3 year warranty. The risk however, is that the company isn't travelling too well financially and may not be around to honour a 3 year warranty.

I would never have an LG appliance in my house. Cheap crap.

Good deals around at the moment on LG 42LM6200 3D Smart TV. Was about 32,000 baht...now if you shop around it's available for as low as 19,500 baht. Great TV great spec

The bad: The somewhat expensive LM6700 showed light black levels and shadows, and its glossy screen reflects too much ambient light. It lacks an option to engage smoothing and evinced worse motion resolution than other 120Hz TVs.

Hardly a great review (6700 and 6200 essentially the same).

Plasma has better picture, LED uses less power and is cooler.

I have a plasma but it's next to an open window, so not a problem.

You have the window open whilst the air con's running?

Maybe that's why you need a lower air con setting.

Edited by uptheos

Plasma has better picture, LED uses less power and is cooler.

I have a plasma but it's next to an open window, so not a problem.

You have the window open whilst the air con's running?

I don't use air-con.

Humble apologies, I got the flags mixed up. wai.gif

OP never had a problem with my Panasonic, either here or back home.

Edited by uptheos

I have a TLC (China) and am very happy with it - they make TV's for many other companies

Having several 32" from a few years ago (cheap mass market sales in Big C and then Lotus) would recommend checking channel change time as ours are extremely slow (but guess that would not matter if using a cable/sat box). But on plus side they are still working OK.

I would say that for people watching sport or fast moving pictures in a dark lit room then plasma panisonic tv is my choice, if its a bright lit room and you would like to save money on the electric bill the LED Samsung smart TV and it is the only one that you can change the region to any countries in its list for the smart hub.

regards

scotsman

Mine's set to New Zealand, and I don't use a VPN.

Just an additional issue to take into consideration if you or your wife watch Thai TV (Thai Soaps maybe!!) via free to air TV then the new TVs with built in digital tuners are just starting to appear in store here. I saw one in Tesco Lotus a couple weeks ago and by end this year I would expect to see them on most TVs sold here in Thailand. It maybe worth either waiting or getting a bargain now as I think they are madly trying to sell their stock before this happens. With the current TV you will need an external Set-top box to view this digital channels.

If you could wait a year, new 4K TVs will be the norm. A true step ahead from present generation full HDTVs

same as 3D content the camera's are not there. NTT's DoCoMo i leading there. you will not get content for 4K The cameras are way to low for 4k. so if you buy 4k or super HD you've got nothing super to watch.

Full HD will do for the next 3-5years , this is the average lifespan for a tv set anyway,so why join the next hype?

LG screen quality is currently judged as the poorest brand name on the market.

Samsung is among the highest.

3D pointless, nobody uses it for more than 1 movie.

SMART, a PC does it better and cheaper.

Hi mate. You and -tchooptip don't seem to be very impressed with smart tv. I'm doing my homework before I buy a new tv, and was wondering about smart and how good it works here in Thailand (although the country may not make any difference). Cripes, it's a jungle out there - I don't want to buy something that is going to be of no use, so if you could offer your opinion on smart, I'll be your slave for life. That is your next life, of course. Cheers.

• Like 1

I can only tell you what I have on my Samsung Smart TV is that when its connected to the internet and you change the smart hub to the UK you will get all the UK Apps like BBC iplayer, ITV iplayer. Channel 4, Channel 5 and netflix plus many more. Now I use a DNS service to enable me to use all this apps and watch HD TV programs. There is also skype and facebook, sports apps and news apps that work great so its up to you what you want from a TV.

Regards

Scotsman

• 1 month later...

I can only tell you what I have on my Samsung Smart TV is that when its connected to the internet and you change the smart hub to the UK you will get all the UK Apps like BBC iplayer, ITV iplayer. Channel 4, Channel 5 and netflix plus many more. Now I use a DNS service to enable me to use all this apps and watch HD TV programs. There is also skype and facebook, sports apps and news apps that work great so its up to you what you want from a TV.

Regards

Scotsman

Which model?