Tourists... ?

robertthebruce

"and bought another" - good luck with that. cheesy.gif

And another of your many times repeated statements that buying property on Phuket is doomed to failure is shot down in flames. PatongPhil obviously didn't suffer any distress with his previous property, and seems happy to have bought another.

Also, Valentine's business here isn't really impacted by tourist demographics, but resident expats who have purchased property and are undertaking property improvements (though of course everyone who's a resident expat here was initially a tourist), and as he said, a significant number of these for the past few years have been Russian.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Jimi007

So, that only leaves the question that most "long termers" happen to be asking themselves now - when are they moving, and where are they moving to? smile.pngsmile.png

Speaking to some guys that have been here quite a while, the feeling I'm getting is, "not if, just when." smile.png

Of course, the question remains, where? smile.png

Follow in my footsteps to what we call our Northern paradise. Chiang mai and Chang rai.wai2.gif

Why are you still posting on the Phuket forum?

And another of your many times repeated statements that buying property on Phuket is doomed to failure is shot down in flames. PatongPhil obviously didn't suffer any distress with his previous property, and seems happy to have bought another.

Also, Valentine's business here isn't really impacted by tourist demographics, but resident expats who have purchased property and are undertaking property improvements (though of course everyone who's a resident expat here was initially a tourist), and as he said, a significant number of these for the past few years have been Russian.

"buying property on Phuket is doomed to failure is shot down in flames" - I have never stated "doomed to failure." Each to their own, but I don't "buy" something that i can never "own." For me, it really is that simple.

Follow in my footsteps to what we call our Northern paradise. Chiang mai and Chang rai.wai2.gif

Why are you still posting on the Phuket forum?

All forum members are entitled to post in the Phuket or any forum. It's not a Phuket closed shop.

//edit - And another inflammatory post removed.

• Like 1

"buying property on Phuket is doomed to failure is shot down in flames" - I have never stated "doomed to failure." Each to their own, but I don't "buy" something that i can never "own." For me, it really is that simple.

"Shot down in flames" was meant to be rhetorical rather than a direct quotation. However, PatongPhil and his family own his property, in the same way that any married couple 'own' a property that is in joint names anywhere in the world. A farang husband might not be able to have his name on Thai land deeds, but he is entitled to half of the joint assets in the event of divorce. Apologies for straying into another topic.

"Shot down in flames" was meant to be rhetorical rather than a direct quotation. However, PatongPhil and his family own his property, in the same way that any married couple 'own' a property that is in joint names anywhere in the world. A farang husband might not be able to have his name on Thai land deeds, but he is entitled to half of the joint assets in the event of divorce. Apologies for straying into another topic.

I completely agree with you pag. I was thinking along the same lines that in most of our home countries a married man can easily lose 'his' home in a divorce settlement. I agree not really worth a single man with no ties here in Thailand buying property. But it makes a lot of sense for married men with Thai wife and family.

• Like 2

I completely agree with you pag. I was thinking along the same lines that in most of our home countries a married man can easily lose 'his' home in a divorce settlement. I agree not really worth a single man with no ties here in Thailand buying property. But it makes a lot of sense for married men with Thai wife and family.

ok; scenario,

Man comes to phuket,( Chiang Mai, Surin, Nakon Nowhere) has a good job, finds a good girl, marries and they buy land ( in his wife's name) house is in his, she dies

ok, he gets the whole thing but has 1 year to sell ( because a Farang can not own land) and what happens if he cant??

Buying land, building a house and raising a daughter was the best thing i did in Phuket, (1999) selling the land and house was the second best (2009) :-)

Edited by phuketrichard

ok; scenario,

Man comes to phuket,( Chiang Mai, Surin, Nakon Nowhere) has a good job, finds a good girl, marries and they buy land ( in his wife's name) house is in his, she dies

ok, he gets the whole thing but has 1 year to sell ( because a Farang can not own land) and what happens if he cant??

Buying land, building a house and raising a daughter was the best thing i did in Phuket, (1999) selling the land and house was the second best (2009) :-)

"they buy land ( in his wife's name) house is in his" - this is the part that makes me laugh. "The house is in his name" - but it sits on land that only a Thai can own. :) :)

Houses are not portable. :) :)

I understood that sharing 50/50 comes in effect only after 3 years of marriage if there is no prenup.

I understood that sharing 50/50 comes in effect only after 3 years of marriage if there is no prenup.

I have heard some expats in this situation are putting the house/land in the kids name. (half Thai - half foreigner kid)

Is this BS, or is it possible?

In the US of A, it changes state to state. Half the guys I grew up with, who owned houses, lost the house due to divorce. The risk here is no different, unless you consider the cost of the home, which is usually much cheaper.

Edited by Shot
  • Like 1

I have heard some expats in this situation are putting the house/land in the kids name. (half Thai - half foreigner kid)

Is this BS, or is it possible?

If the kids are born here they are Thai citizens so of course they can do it but my understanding is the kids have to be of a certain age, not sure but I think 20.

Edited by Valentine

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/424285-can-land-be-put-in-the-name-of-my-daughter-who-is-3-years-old/

concerning a thai child owning land

but would love an response to my what if scenario...

My land i brought was put in a thai friends name,

i had a 30 year lease with my name on the back of the nor sor 3 paper,and the taam bien baan book ( which i used same as the yellow book)

All permits for building and approvals were in my name

Edited by phuketrichard

This OP really developing into a much broader topic (and for some, possibly quite illuminating also). Most 'tourists' who become resident expats, potentially with a Thai wife and either an existing or possible future family do so on the strength of their relationship. Whether the relationship can sustain itself is no different than the choices that people make all over the world, and of course every relationship is different.

Worth mentioning the subject of wills, both wife and husbands, particularly where there is land ownership and/or leases involved. Really important that it's clear cut that capital assets (property, cars, boats, or whatever) are defined in the will(s). In the event of land ownership in the name of the wife, and on her demise, one year for the husband to sell or transfer ownership to another Thai (either children of the marriage, or a Trustee such as a lawyer), with a new lease to the husband (30 years) for added security.

In the US of A, it changes state to state. Half the guys I grew up with, who owned houses, lost the house due to divorce. The risk here is no different, unless you consider the cost of the home, which is usually much cheaper.

I am guessing that a house in the American town where Shot grew up is currently worth a good deal less than a house in Phuket.

If he was a condo developer, and a farang, I'm surprised he's still alive, let alone, a few baht short in the wallet. smile.png:)

Actually it was pretty amusing to run into these guys all in the matter of an hour or two. I met them all over 7 years ago when I first moved to Rawai. So it was interesting listening to their view point on things, as most of them have been here for many decades!

Actually the guy I bought my truck from over 7 years ago said to me that Nai Harn has been very good to him. And it has, he has a killer house and land.

And it's in his name, is it? smile.png:)

It's none of my business, nor yours! I know he has never married a Thai though...

ok; scenario,

"they buy land ( in his wife's name) house is in his" - this is the part that makes me laugh. "The house is in his name" - but it sits on land that only a Thai can own. smile.pngsmile.png

Houses are not portable. smile.pngsmile.png

And land is even less "portable!"

I see mostly Chinese, Korean and Arabs at Ao Por.

NKM: Please stop the constant whining about the same issues. We all know the major problems in Phuket and how Phuket has been changing over the years, it's not news. Instead try to offer some real life solutions, without disclaimers aka several smileys.

NKM: Please stop the constant whining about the same issues. We all know the major problems in Phuket and how Phuket has been changing over the years, it's not news. Instead try to offer some real life solutions, without disclaimers aka several smileys.

Ao Por is a nice part of the Island. Have they cleared the collapsed power poles from the road up to the abandoned resort yet?

I'm not "whining" about the "same issues." Have you considered, it's these very "issues" that have directly caused the changes in the demographics of the tourists coming here, which is on topic for this thread.

If Phuket is offering higher prices for less service, it will continue to lose customers. Eg. 200 baht Phuket tuk-tuk versus 10 baht Pattaya baht bus.

Yes, the transport "issue" has been well documented on TV, and does not appear it's going to be fixed anytime soon, but just look at how many threads on the Phuket forum are either directly, or indirectly, related to transport here?

Sure, we all offer "real life solutions" to this issue, but the bottom line is, this issue has a major impact on a tourist's holiday here, and in my opinion, is one of several main reasons the western market is turning away from Phuket.

Other issues I would put forward, off the top of my head, are negative publicity from crimes, scams and extortions, in general - higher prices across the board, the impact of the GFC, a high baht to a low Euro/Pound/Dollar, failing infastructure in particular flooding and poor beach water quality.

I truly believe it is the "issues" that you allude to that has caused the changing demograpics here. We know the TAT is targeting the Russians, Chinese and Indians, but I notice the TAT will not be promoting Phuket next year.

So, what effects does the changing demographics of tourists have on western expats here? Why should we care? Well, unfortunately, in the future, I can see some of the little luxuries we enjoy here, due to western tourists, disappearing. Eg. some foods, some activities, shows (Phuket Comedy) etc. - in general, less variety and choice.

A real life example for you is, recently, Big Bill moved to Pattaya - now many miss out on his pickles. (this was also on TV)

Am I "whining" about it, or posting my observations/predictions???? An example of one of my observations/predictions is I can see transport prices rising in the future, yet again, as the changing demographic of tourists are using coach buses, and it was reported the new airport bus is being well patronised.

Some may agree with me, some may disagree with me, others may just say I am "whining" about rising transport costs. :) However, isn't that what internet forums are all about?

The thread then digressed a little to land ownership by a foreigner. There is no "real life solution" for this. Under Thai Law, a foreigner can not own land, 100% in his/her name. It is black and white. It has also been well documented on TV. One may offer a better "structure" to minimise exposure to loss, but at the end of the day, a foreigner can't own land here and there are no "real life solutions" to that. I'm not "whining" about that, just simply stating a fact.

• Like 1

I'm not "whining" about the "same issues." Have you considered, it's these very "issues" that have directly caused the changes in the demographics of the tourists coming here, which is on topic for this thread.

If Phuket is offering higher prices for less service, it will continue to lose customers. Eg. 200 baht Phuket tuk-tuk versus 10 baht Pattaya baht bus.

Yes, the transport "issue" has been well documented on TV, and does not appear it's going to be fixed anytime soon, but just look at how many threads on the Phuket forum are either directly, or indirectly, related to transport here?

Sure, we all offer "real life solutions" to this issue, but the bottom line is, this issue has a major impact on a tourist's holiday here, and in my opinion, is one of several main reasons the western market is turning away from Phuket.

Other issues I would put forward, off the top of my head, are negative publicity from crimes, scams and extortions, in general - higher prices across the board, the impact of the GFC, a high baht to a low Euro/Pound/Dollar, failing infastructure in particular flooding and poor beach water quality.

I truly believe it is the "issues" that you allude to that has caused the changing demograpics here. We know the TAT is targeting the Russians, Chinese and Indians, but I notice the TAT will not be promoting Phuket next year.

So, what effects does the changing demographics of tourists have on western expats here? Why should we care? Well, unfortunately, in the future, I can see some of the little luxuries we enjoy here, due to western tourists, disappearing. Eg. some foods, some activities, shows (Phuket Comedy) etc. - in general, less variety and choice.

A real life example for you is, recently, Big Bill moved to Pattaya - now many miss out on his pickles. (this was also on TV)

Am I "whining" about it, or posting my observations/predictions???? An example of one of my observations/predictions is I can see transport prices rising in the future, yet again, as the changing demographic of tourists are using coach buses, and it was reported the new airport bus is being well patronised.

Some may agree with me, some may disagree with me, others may just say I am "whining" about rising transport costs. smile.png However, isn't that what internet forums are all about?

The thread then digressed a little to land ownership by a foreigner. There is no "real life solution" for this. Under Thai Law, a foreigner can not own land, 100% in his/her name. It is black and white. It has also been well documented on TV. One may offer a better "structure" to minimise exposure to loss, but at the end of the day, a foreigner can't own land here and there are no "real life solutions" to that. I'm not "whining" about that, just simply stating a fact.

Never thought I would say this about Ice Man but I actually agree with the points stated above.

This morning I did my 90 day report & being Monday I thought the place would be packed. Well it was packed outside around the garden with Burmese but upstairs only several foreigners so I was in & out in less than a minute.

NKM, it's not that we disagree with you, it's just that all your posts are a variation on a theme. They are getting old and stale.

You desperately need some new material, otherwise, you will just continue to point out the bleedin' obvious.

Perhaps the "influential people" on Phuket need to come up with some new material, instead of the same old BS that is killing the place.

Just one positive change for the island isn't too much to ask for, is it? :) :)

Some may agree with me, some may disagree with me, others may just say I am "whining" about rising transport costs. smile.png However, isn't that what internet forums are all about?

Never thought I would say this about Ice Man but I actually agree with the points stated above.

This morning I did my 90 day report & being Monday I thought the place would be packed. Well it was packed outside around the garden with Burmese but upstairs only several foreigners so I was in & out in less than a minute.

You only have to open your eyes and look around, as you have done this morning, to see how the demographis of Phuket are changing.

How these changes may, or may not, effect expats here is debatable.

In your case, the demographic change made you reporting quicker today. :)

You only have to open your eyes and look around, as you have done this morning, to see how the demographis of Phuket are changing.

How these changes may, or may not, effect expats here is debatable.

In your case, the demographic change made you reporting quicker today. smile.png

I actually point out something positive about your post & you retort with ridiculous statements as if you know how I think. You have to be kidding.

• Like 1

@ Valentine

No sure what you are banging on about.

I never said anything about knowing what you are thinking.

I simply commented on your observations today. What you observed today is yet another indicator of the demographics changing here. It's one that I never thought about.

It's a positive thing that reporting may be quicker here in the future, if the maintain the same level of staffing.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ Valentine

No sure what you are banging on about.

I never said anything about knowing what you are thinking.

I simply commented on your observations today. What you observed today is yet another indicator of the demographics changing here. It's one that I never thought about.

It's a positive thing that reporting may be quicker here in the future, if the maintain the same level of staffing.

I have just opened my eyes this morning & the demographic change has made my reporting quicker!! Really cannot follow your thought processes. I agreed with what you said earlier as I have had my eyes open since arriving here as a tourist. I still enjoy living here despite the massive changes I have seen some of which are positive, for me, & some not so positive. On a lighter note there used to be a lot of cute Italian babes on the beach during Italian month but now there are a lot of cute Russian babes about. It is only eye candy for me but that is OK.

NKM: I admit whining was not the best word to describe what I meant. Sorry about that.

You are correct on most of your observations, I would guess most of us see the problems the same way, but that is not the point. The problem is that you bring the Phuket issues to almost every discussion here is on TV. The load of issues suffocates everything else underneath it.

If you have not already, then start now making Phuket better, instead of just talking/writing about the problems here on TV. Start writing to Thai officials, create or participate in some volunteer groups, which tries to educate youth... or what suits you the best.

NKM: I admit whining was not the best word to describe what I meant. Sorry about that.

You are correct on most of your observations, I would guess most of us see the problems the same way, but that is not the point. The problem is that you bring the Phuket issues to almost every discussion here is on TV. The load of issues suffocates everything else underneath it.

If you have not already, then start now making Phuket better, instead of just talking/writing about the problems here on TV. Start writing to Thai officials, create or participate in some volunteer groups, which tries to educate youth... or what suits you the best.

I have just had a quick look at the main page of the Phuket Forum. Pinned topics aside - 10 out of the 23 threads running are to do with "issues" or "problems" or "negatives" on Phuket. In the news section, it was the Aldhouse trial (a murder trial) also a negtive incident. So, 11 out of 23 threads.

That was a snapshot of the Phuket Forum, just one minute ago.

Are you suggesting I only post on the other 12 topics, the mjority of which are requesting information?

If you look at those threads, you will see I also post there and have offered advice/information.

Based on this snapshot, statistically, for the Phuket forum, these "issues" make up nearly half of the threads. Most of them have many views and several posts.

So, in relation to "The problem is that you bring the Phuket issues to almost every discussion here is on TV" - maybe that's because those "issues" make up half of the threads. To post something not related to the OP on these threads, would be off topic, wouldn't it?

The next time when it's reported a tuk-tuk driver assaults another tourist and puts them in hospital, for example - what theme would you suggest my post on that thread have????

I call a spade a spade, and post my observations, and sometimes a prediction for the future. All of which are open to debate and criticism. I take nothing personally, it's all internet banter.

You will never read a post from me saying something ridiculous like, "Phuket is a sh*thole. Don't go there." However. you will read a post from like, "Phuket's got a long standing problem with transport which effects your freedom of movement on the island." In my opinion, that is a fact.

In relation to being proactive for change. Last week I emailed The Australian Embassy in relation to the Larry Cunningham incident and also the Immigration Officer's husband's hotel. As far as volunteer work, you need a work permit for volunteer work in Thailand, so, that's out of the question.

Once again, don't take my word for it. Do your own snapshot and look at the threads on the main Phuket Forum page for yourself. Nearly half are reports or comments on negative incidents here.

Anyway, what have you done to try to make Phuket a better place this week?