How much do Poipet try to charge nowadays? (Border run)

Doing a 90 day border run on my multi-entry Non-Imm next week.

Mastercard was just used for fraud, so is cancelled, so no Cambodian E-Visa.

Couldn't be bothered going to the bank to get a $20 note.

How much do the Cambodian officials try to get you to pay nowadays if in baht?? Years ago they used to try to demand 1000b.

Last time I went there around 1 year ago I had a $20 note and they pushed a piece of paper with 'Visa 800b or $20 + 100b' I politely said 'no, sorry' and sat down, passport back 5 mins later with Visa.

Anyway, has anyone been there lately and seen what they try to charge?

Thanks.

<Last time I went there around 1 year ago I had a $20 note and they pushed a piece of paper with 'Visa 800b or $20 + 100b' I politely said 'no, sorry' and sat down, passport back 5 mins later with Visa.> I gave 20 U.S dollars and the 100 baht with a polite smile, saved me the humiliation of having to sit there looking like a cheap Charlie waiting for my passport….. anyway, pretty sure it's 1000 baht. I do remember a scam they were doing a few years back involving taking your passport when you arrived in the shed,(Cambodian side) putting it on a table and then demanding 2-300 baht to give it back again, they caught me out the first time, but then the next time I just walked straight past the guy sitting at the table, ignoring him completely which seemed to have the desired affect.

Nothing to do with being a cheap charley. All about integrity, morals and honesty. After many years here I still have them, luckily enough. smile.png

Odd that what you would find humiliating, not giving in and paying cash to dishonest, criminal officials acting illegally, because they are dishonest, criminal officials and told you to do so, I would find the complete opposite. A dishonest, criminal official demanding you give him money for no other reason than he is a dishoinest, criminal official and he sees you as a patethic mark and you just give in with a bow and a yes, Sir.

No thanks. Much rather a 'No, thanks' then sit down and read a book for 5 mins in front of them, calm as anything.

Different fols I guess. :)

Edited by pilm
  • Like 1

^ so, in a situation (hypothetical) where paying under the table would save you a lot of money, possibly your freedom from incarceration, you'd still be firmly lodged aloft calmly reading your book upon this high horse you've ridden in on……. I don't know you personally, but, well, human nature and all that……..

Edited by lemonjelly

I gave 20 U.S dollars and the 100 baht with a polite smile, saved me the humiliation of having to sit there looking like a cheap Charlie waiting for my passport...

So the choice is to look cheap and save money or to just look like a prat who has paid over the odds?

If the choice was mine to make I think I'd take the cheap option too; out of principle as much as anything.

• Like 1

Very strange OP. The OP seems to think that he can pay them what HE thinks and not what they charge.

Why not just make a post that says: How much is a visa now at the border?

Visa at the border is officially US$20. Paid in UD$.

The thread title is the question:

How much do Poipet try to charge nowadays?

My esperiences are that they have in the past tried to charge 1000b (five years ago) and 800b (about 1 year ago.)

Still confused? huh.png

Edited by pilm

^ so, in a situation (hypothetical) where paying under the table would save you a lot of money, possibly your freedom from incarceration, you'd still be firmly lodged aloft calmly reading your book upon this high horse you've ridden in on……. I don't know you personally, but, well, human nature and all that……..

Completely different. In your hypothetical situation there is no offical set price/fee that one should be able to pay to prevail of the posted service.

Around 2 years ago I crossed the friendship bridge at Mukdahan going in to Laos. All locals 'have to' pay the Laos stamper 40b. Some of the foreigners paid upon it being demanded. I refused.

Do I get an official receipt?

No. No receipt.

Then no, I'm not giving it to you.

Okay. *passport stamped* and returned.

Was there a few months ago and this time all the locals were paying and not one foreigner was asked.

saved me the humiliation of having to sit there looking like a cheap Charlie waiting for my passport.

btw, just to clear it up, you wait no longer than anybody else.

Everybody has to wait while they put the full-page Visa sticker in your passport. Depending on the amount of people it will be between 2-10 minutes. Done in order of queue. :)

There is a bank right there, 5 meters out of your way, to get dollars at. Yes, sometimes they are out, but I'd do that, because they usually have them. There are a few banks right there actually, I usually hit them up one by one till I get dollars. It doesn't take too long, and the tellers are always cute, which does help I will tell you.

I am not into paying the extra 100 baht on top either. I DO pay it though; more because I am unwilling to take what I see as an unnecessary little chance. I'd rather just pay it and be out of there, as opposed to pissing off the wrong guy at the wrong time. It is Cambodia after all. I don't really like giving in either, but that is what I do :)

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

I gave 20 U.S dollars and the 100 baht with a polite smile, saved me the humiliation of having to sit there looking like a cheap Charlie waiting for my passport...

So the choice is to look cheap and save money or to just look like a prat who has paid over the odds?

If the choice was mine to make I think I'd take the cheap option too; out of principle as much as anything.

…...or to look like a prat making a fuss over 100 baht….. paying 20 u.s. + 100 baht still works out cheaper than paying the 1000 baht option……

Edited by lemonjelly

…...or to look like a prat making a fuss over 100 baht….. paying 20 u.s. + 100 baht still works out cheaper than paying the 1000 baht option……

I am going to tell them to bug off one day, when I'm in the right mood. Think about how annoying it is....

Yeah, the fee is "$20 US dollars, oh, plus 100 Thai baht by the way". How incredibly annoying, obnoxious and just outright arrogant is that?

I think the best way to do it is walk in there, slide the $20 dollars up, point up at the sign, and just stand there until they take it and motion as if 20 is all you have or something. Do the old rabbit ears with the pockets :)

What fuss are you on about? :huh:

We're living in this beautiful land, fantastic food, friendly people, beautiful women, freedoms we cannot find in our own countires, a country where most of us live very comfortably due to currency exchage rates, higher wages for foreigners etc, and yet I find a forum populated by expats whinging on about a 90 day border run…yes, ... once every 3 months .. costing 40 - 100 baht more than it should've….. you're all so sad…so very sad…. nothing more to say on this...

^ Hands over ears and head in the sand time, okay gotcha. biggrin.png

An employed local says 'Give me 100b' and you give it to him smiling and bowing as not to cause a fuss or be seen as a cheap-charley. You must be highly respected! laugh.png

Yes, yes, that's definitely 'respect' that's making them laugh. :lol:

Edited by pilm
  • Like 1

Definitely not ok in my book to just hand over, without even flinching, 100 baht that is not due to someone. If we did that, everyone would ask for it. It is the "cheap charlies" that keep the world bearable. Not to mention that the people that just pay these "fees" without even flinching are screwing things up for people other than just themselves.

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

I just got back. Skip all the touts along the way and it's always 800 baht if you pay in baht. If you pay in dollars, they demand up to 200 baht extra AT the immigration window. Some of the corrupt police try to say things like: 'It' 300 baht if I stamp you out and you have to change 500 baht.' Just say, 'no I don't.' Then move on!!! They really don't care what you say or think. These corrupt police there have a very bad reputation, but no problems at the window when I've been there multiple times over the past several years.

• Like 1

I just got back. Skip all the touts along the way and it's always 800 baht if you pay in baht. If you pay in dollars, they demand up to 200 baht extra AT the immigration window. Some of the corrupt police try to say things like: 'It' 300 baht if I stamp you out and you have to change 500 baht.' Just say, 'no I don't.' Then move on!!! They really don't care what you say or think. These corrupt police there have a very bad reputation, but no problems at the window when I've been there multiple times over the past several years.

Good to see they've dropped it from 1000b demands to 800b. I notice that as soon as they see you are not an idiot and you simply say no, they see your years of Non-Imm visas etc. all the nonsense is dropped and they just do their job.

I'll be buying a $20 note in one of the exchange places there and not paying a satang more than that to the corrupt officials. :)

• Like 1

We're living in this beautiful land, fantastic food, friendly people, beautiful women, freedoms we cannot find in our own countires, a country where most of us live very comfortably due to currency exchage rates, higher wages for foreigners etc, and yet I find a forum populated by expats whinging on about a 90 day border run…yes, ... once every 3 months .. costing 40 - 100 baht more than it should've….. you're all so sad…so very sad…. nothing more to say on this...

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

Amazing how many people here have such little self-respect for themselves. sad.png

'You You. You give me money now.'

'Absolutely Sir, how much should I give you Sir?'

'Hehe, another idiot giving me money for nothing. These farangs are so stupid. Quick here comes another one. You you, you give me money now'.

Sad. sad.png

Edited by pilm

making a big hoo-haa about 40 or 100 Baht?

Big hoo-haa? huh.png

Simply saying 'no' to a government official demanding money from you is a big a hoo-haa. laugh.png

Just imagine what Thais really think of these people, probably go around wai-ing the motosai taxi riders and 7-11 staff in order to be nice. biggrin.png

Edited by pilm
  • Like 1

This simply comes down to the fact that some people don't mind handing over money they don't in fact owe, and others do mind.

What if the example somehow changed, and you were charged the extra 100 baht fee 200 times a year. Would you care then?

Why is it that I have managed to live in Thailand for many years without being subjected to "scams" ?

Why have I not been targeted ?

I demand to be scammed I am a foreigner !

• Like 2

making a big hoo-haa about 40 or 100 Baht?

Big hoo-haa? huh.png

Simply saying 'no' to a government official demanding money from you is a big a hoo-haa. laugh.png

Just imagine what Thais really think of these people, probably go around wai-ing the motosai taxi riders and 7-11 staff in order to be nice. biggrin.png

you are making a big and ridiculous hoo-haa with your postings in this forum. but what i originally meant and also mentioned was the endangering of the result of your visa run. one day you may meet an officer who will stamp deliberately a wrong date in your passport and then you will regret bitterly your "self-respect" and the few Baht saved.

This simply comes down to the fact that some people don't mind handing over money they don't in fact owe, and others do mind.

What if the example somehow changed, and you were charged the extra 100 baht fee 200 times a year. Would you care then?

Why is it that I have managed to live in Thailand for many years without being subjected to "scams" ?

Why have I not been targeted ?

I demand to be scammed I am a foreigner !

Ok, let's settle this. Let's say you and I run into each other, and when we do why not just hand me 100 baht?

Sound ludicrous?! You mean you would not give it to me?! After all, "it's only 100 baht" and you "never get scammed".... so there should not be any problem, right? Well, there ya go. It aint rocket science. It really isn't.

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

Close, but I think there are other factors... such as if the recipient is deserving of it or not.

Examples:

Giving a decent tip to a decent waitress who has gone above and beyond the call of duty to serve you attentively and competently.

A corrupt, dishonest 'official' trying to scam/extort money from you because he believes that you as a farang are stupid and that he can.

Both would be handing over money you don't owe. I would do one, I wouldn't do the other. Some members on here oddly (and proudly) do both. huh.png

Edited by pilm