My road trip thru Nothern thailand, laos and Cambodia

phuketrichard

Really enjoyed your photos. Thankyou. I did a similar trip a few months ago but didn't include Cambo. I think i've been to most of the places you covered on this trip. Out of the places you mentioned i would say my favorite town would be Chiang kong. I make weekend trips there sometimes. Another one of my favorite Mekong destinations is Tha Kaek, i guess that would of been a bit out of the way for your trip.

Which was your favorite town and why?

Thank you all wai2.gif

I of course love everywhere ( i really enjoy Cambodia) , but northern Thailand was really unique,

want to head back up there an get further out

north of Doi Mae Salong up to Thoed Thai, Mae Moh, Mong Khao Lak; also want to explore the area north of Mae Suai towards Doi Chang

If only there was a sea up there, i would move, but am addicted to the sea here

Places i really liked in by country

Mae Sariang, Mae Hong Son, Doi Ang Khang ( amazing views), Chaing Khong,

Luang Prabang, Phonsavan, Vienatine,

Siem Rep, Phnom Penh, Kampot

Reasons are varied from great people to amazing scenery, Some places just feel right .

• Like 1

Richard

Thanks for posting the link to your photos. I have poured over all 20 Gig of them and, to my astonishment, noticed that there is not a single shot of a wild creature. Not one...despite 7500km and three countries.

Did you actual get any shots of wildlife (and didn't upload them) or should I assume that every living animal and insect North of Grung Thep has be captured and eaten?

i saw birds, lizards and a few dead animals for sale alongside the road in Laos but that was it.( plus cows, chickens, ducks and dogs)

I think most everything has been eaten unless u get way back into the jungle

Care to tell of the paperwork required to enter and exit without hassle?

And any hassles on the road from police in Cambo with Thai plates ?

The Catholic cemetery was really cool as it was half catholic an half Chinese an i also though it looked like the one in HK. Its the only catholic cemetery i saw in laos

Every time i enter Cambodia, (6, 7 times now in past 5 years) i go in thru either Koh Kong ( from Trat) or via O'smach (south of surin.)

Legally ur supposed to get permission in advance form Phnom Penh but i never have and never had any trouble.

They will not let ur car in at Poi Pet or Palin, no trouble exiting there thou

If u enter at koh kong they take your Thai export papers and also charge u 100 baht /day ur tell them how long going to stay.

If u enter at Osmach there is never any problem.

Last years i went ( did just abut the same trip but went a few different places ( http://phuket.zenfolio.com/p408083573 ) and was stopped once in Laos for speeding ( cost me $5) and once in Shinoukville for running a red light an had to pay $20.

this trip was never stopped anywhere. And the only thing with Thai plates u get is people asking if i was from Thailand :-)

• Like 1

i saw birds, lizards and a few dead animals for sale alongside the road in Laos but that was it.( plus cows, chickens, ducks and dogs)

I think most everything has been eaten unless u get way back into the jungle

Care to tell of the paperwork required to enter and exit without hassle?

And any hassles on the road from police in Cambo with Thai plates ?

The Catholic cemetery was really cool as it was half catholic an half Chinese an i also though it looked like the one in HK. Its the only catholic cemetery i saw in laos

Every time i enter Cambodia, (6, 7 times now in past 5 years) i go in thru either Koh Kong ( from Trat) or via O'smach (south of surin.)

Legally ur supposed to get permission in advance form Phnom Penh but i never have and never had any trouble.

They will not let ur car in at Poi Pet or Palin, no trouble exiting there thou

If u enter at koh kong they take your Thai export papers and also charge u 100 baht /day ur tell them how long going to stay.

If u enter at Osmach there is never any problem.

Last years i went ( did just abut the same trip but went a few different places ( http://phuket.zenfolio.com/p408083573 ) and was stopped once in Laos for speeding ( cost me $5) and once in Shinoukville for running a red light an had to pay $20.

this trip was never stopped anywhere. And the only thing with Thai plates u get is people asking if i was from Thailand :-)

Thanks, great first hand info.

I want to drive to Angkor some time soon.

BTW; this is the trip done last year, many of the same places but diferent photos, and some other ones as well ( like Banteay Chhmer in Cambodia, a beautiful seldom visited temple), Koh Ker, Preah Vihear, and the floating village of Kampong Phluk on the Tonle sap lake,.. http://phuket.zenfolio.com/p408083573

West of Fang is amazing!!! take the road that hugs the border

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1