Travel Holdall Recommendation.

james.d

Hello All,

I will be travelling from Haiti via JFK-DBX-BKK (sadly no time to shop), I have a big sports bag and noticed the seams don't seem like they will last too much longer. I am looking for a sturdy travel bag, big enough to hold the maximum airline allowance and strong enough to withstand several loads/unloads. I have a old hardsided samsonite but its too heavy.

Any suggestions on what is hard wearing and easy on the eye that i could purchase in BKK during my vacation?

Edit: Sorry i should have mentioned with wheels.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

James .d

Edited by james.d

I picked one of these in a sports shop in the Emporium. About 7500 for the large one.

post-44895-0-61624000-1378854702_thumb.j

It's not cheap but it holds a load of weight and will probably last you many years.

Edit : it's known as the 'North Face Base camp Duffel'

Edited by ukrules

I picked one of these in a sports shop in the Emporium. About 7500 for the large one.

attachicon.gifbasecamp.jpg

It's not cheap but it holds a load of weight and will probably last you many years.

Edit : it's known as the 'North Face Base camp Duffel'

My experience of Thai bought baggage is that it will give up the ghost after a few robust handlings. I bought a camera case from the bag shop on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 4 Nana behind the police box and I've been using it for 10 years with no problems. On the other hand I've bought hold-alls, cases, reinforced cases trolley cases and after maybe 3 trips they just go. Wheels, locks, handles are the first to go. I don't know about the previous poster and don't wish to be contrary but brand names like North Face are very unlikely to actually be the real thing if bought in Thailand from a street shop.

Thought about those luggage wraps? Relatively cheap, hold everything together and unlikely baggage handlers will pilfer. Use them all the tine.

Thank you both for your replies, the first mentioned purchasing the bag in the Emporuim so i think it will be genuine. On the other hand, it was not stated whether it has wheels. (i will check myself using a search).

Any others with recommendations please add.

I normally bring Barbancourt rum x 2 so it needs to be sturdy...whistling.gif

Much appreciated,

Regards,

James.d

Got me thinking and realized my Samsonite, max IATA size, is now 13 years old. It has seen some serious travel, wear and tear but the wheels keep turning.

I get through about 3 Bangkok-bought suitcases a year but don't get anywhere to buy better quality.