Phuket Police officer beaten in mass brawl as suspect resists arrest

Lite Beer

Phuket Police officer beaten in mass brawl as suspect resists arrest
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_Col_Sommai_woke_in_hospital_t

PHUKET: Police in Cherng Talay are on the lookout for an unknown number of suspects after a senior officer was badly beaten and a squad of at least five other policemen suffered minor injuries while attempting to serve an arrest warrant on Monday.

Cherng Talay Deputy Superintendent Sommai On-khum regained consciousness at Vachira Phuket Hospital in Phuket Town on Monday to discover he had suffered a broken molar tooth and extensive bruising to his face and legs.

“The last thing I remember was that I was with other officers at the football field about 300 meters from the Cherng Talay Tesco Lotus store trying to serve an arrest warrant,” Lt Col Sommai told the Phuket Gazette.

“The man we found there, Cherng Talay resident Virat Plabphet, 36, was wanted for robbery and carrying an unlicensed gun in public.

“As I presented the arrest warrant to the suspect and talked to him, I was kicked in the back by someone and I fell to the ground,” Col Sommai said.

“I don’t remember anything after that until I woke up and found myself in hospital,” he added.

Cherng Talay Superintendent Col Chanuchan Cholsuwat told the Gazette that his officers were not even sure how many suspects were involved in the brawl.

“Most of the other officers suffered minor injuries, mostly bruises, in the incident,” he said.

Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commanders Col Saneh Yawila and Col Peerayuth Karachedi visited Col Sommai in hospital this morning.

Joining them were Col Chanuchan and fellow Cherng Talay police officers.

Col Peerayuth noted that police officers always took such risks in the line of duty.

“We are now looking for the suspect and his friends and we will press serious charges against them,” he vowed.

Source : http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Police-officer-beaten-in-mass-brawl-as-suspect-resists-arrest-22219.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-11

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Practice makes perfect...

The real issue here is that Superintendent Sommai, a senior policeman with more than fifteen years of active service here on Phuket, had no previous experience making an arrest.

There are lots of Police here on Phuket, however there is NO policing.

• Like 1

I'm confused... the "other officers" suffered only minor injuries, yet all of the bad guys got away? And the other officers can't recall how many people they were fighting with--while apprehending none? Something sounds a bit fishy.

How could the BIB possibly identify any of their attackers, or even count how many there were, when they were running away, leaving their colleague lying on the ground...!?

• Like 2

in new york the police are known as the blue gang. they are the strongest toughtest gang because they have the guns and the law behind them. you touch a cop , you are going to face so heavy retribution no matter who you are , read it money or power does not come into the formula of judgement ,judges know that also do not go against the blue gang . so what is the problem here cops get run down by sports cars, nothing done, cops get beat up by bad guys nothing done. try to extort tourist end up on the run. these guys belong to the dumb,lazy and stupid crowd. new york city cop coming out of a dinner what shot injured , they call out 1,000 off duty and on duty cops to hunt him down caught him in 24 hours the real shooter not someone forced into a confession thai style.

• Like 2

I would not like to be Khun Virat Plabphet when they catch up with him.

I would say he is now wanted dead or alive, with more of a chance he will be bought in dead, or near death.

Nam, you took the words right out of my mouth. A senior cop especially can not allow this to pass unavenged. Perhaps Khun Virat is considering emmigration?

They were going to arrest a person who "was wanted for robbery and carrying an unlicensed gun in public", surely it should be standard practice to approach the suspect with weapons drawn or at the ready, not standing around having a nice little chat, the police should have at least known the suspect had accomplices and that they were likely to be in the vicinity.

They obviously don't know how to arrest a suspect, particularly one considered dangerous.

It perhaps isn't important as even when they succeed, the 'suspect' just asks if he can go to the toilet and climbs out of the station window anyhow!

I saw a BIB on Sukhumvit Soi 18 recently with an decoratively ivory carved gun in his holster. Very pimped up.

There's an old officer in Pathumthani who has a stainless steel ivory handled 1911 model 45 in his holster. Lucks very nice.

In over 30 years I have yet to see one RTP officer draw his gun.

• Like 1

Top cop beaten unconscious at Phuket football match

PHUKET: -- A police officer is in hospital after he was severely beaten by friends of a wanted man whom he tried to arrest on Tuesday (September 10) at a football match.

Pol Lt Col Sommai On-Kham, a senior investigator at Cherng Talay Police Station, received information that Wirat “Kham” Pranppet, 36, could be found playing in a football match in the Bang Tao Cup 2013 tournament, at the Bang Tao Football Field at Surin Beach, watched by hundreds of local people.

Wirat was wanted on multiple arrest warrants issued by Kathu Police Station, including robbery at night, armed robbery, bag-snatching and attempted murder.

In plain clothes, Col Sommai led a team of officers to the football field. Wirat, spotting them arriving, called on friends to aid him. Soccer players and supporters who streamed from the stands answered the call.

Seeing themselves outnumbered by Wirat’s friends and supporters, the police turned to flee but Col Sommai was caught and beaten insensible in front of the crowd.

Wirat and his friends then also fled. No arrests could be made.

Col Sommai regained consciousness after being taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital but cannot speak because of facial bruising and broken teeth.

Deputy Provincial Commanders Pol Col Peerayut Karajedee and Pol Col Sanae Yawila and others visited Col Sommai yesterday (September 11) bringing flowers and a cash reward for his courage.

Col Peerayut said “We are now concentrating on tracking down Wirat and his friends, who will be arrested on charges of assaulting officers, obstructing police in the execution of their duty, and aiding a fugitive to escape.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/top-cop-beaten-unconscious-at-phuket-football-match-41861.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-09-12

• Like 1

Irrespective of everyone’s assumption, the soft approach used by police, in that district, is seen as cultural respect because the hard approach in the past has resulted in unfortunate fatalities and in turn the locals tend to block the road for days demanding the transfer of arresting police officers.

The area where police failed to arrest the wanted man fringes on the border of the Bang Tao district, which is a very sensitive area in terms of upholding the law and respecting cultural differences; even though it is the responsibility of Cherng Talay police to oversee and enforce the law in that district.

As a consequence of this event, I dare say that the soft approach has been waived for now and police, in due course, will return with a bus load of them next time.

The outcome from this event, in the end, will most likely be the body of the fugitive in the bag.

Next news item in relation to this:

"Virat Plabphet, 36, who was wanted for assault on a Senior Police officer, along with other charges, died today while resisting arrest. Doctors at the hospital state that he died from "severe lead poisoning, which was the result of nearly 30 bullets which had somehow suddenly entered his body and head."

-or-

"Virat Plabphet, 36, who was wanted for assault on a Senior Police officer, along with other charges, was found dead today hanging in his cell shortly after being arrested. Doctors say it is a clear case of suicide, as he had hung himself in his cell after handcuffing his hands behind his back. "

• Like 2

Thats why the use SWAT Teams in Europe and the States to arrest tough criminals, with a history like the wanted one, there would have been certainly a better time for seizure at all. The brutality of perpetrators and normal citizens as well has gone up like we experience in Europe for a while now. The population even in Thailand is not afraid of a uniform and the power behind it anymore, the authorities should realize that here too, there is no carte blanche for them anymore and with the ongoing misuse of some authorities of power and influence the folks will take any chance, especially criminals, to pay them back or use violence on them. Thailand needs to adjust and realize that the old times are definitely over.

'Seeing themselves outnumbered by Wirat’s friends and supporters, the police turned to flee but Col Sommai was caught and beaten insensible in front of the crowd.'

'.... and others visited Col Sommai yesterday (September 11) bringing flowers and a cash reward for his courage.'

I bet the smile for getting money made his broken teeth hurt. Poor police...

• Like 1