Thai And Us Military To Hold Cobra Gold Training Exercise

Jai Dee

Thai and US military to hold Cobra Gold training exercise

The Thai military will hold the annual Cobra Gold training exercise with the United States military at the end of the month, to support peacekeeping in the region.

General Lertrat Ratanawanich (เลิศรัตน์ รัตนวานิช) hosted a press conference concerning the Cobra Gold 2006 military exercise scheduled from April 24th to May 26th between the Thai and US militaries. Singapore, Japan, and Indonesia will also be participating in the event. This year's training will focus on encouraging peace and stability in the region, and in quick response action to hot-spots in the area. Cobra Gold training is adapted to the changing world situation every year, and falls under the United Nation's decree.

Six provinces will be used to host the training this year. They are Nakhon Nayok, Lopburi, Nakhon Ratchasima, Chonburi, Rayong, and Chanthaburi.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 21 April 2006

Thai and US military to hold Cobra Gold training exercise

The Thai military will hold the annual Cobra Gold training exercise with the United States military at the end of the month, to support peacekeeping in the region.

General Lertrat Ratanawanich (เลิศรัตน์ รัตนวานิช) hosted a press conference concerning the Cobra Gold 2006 military exercise scheduled from April 24th to May 26th between the Thai and US militaries. Singapore, Japan, and Indonesia will also be participating in the event. This year's training will focus on encouraging peace and stability in the region, and in quick response action to hot-spots in the area. Cobra Gold training is adapted to the changing world situation every year, and falls under the United Nation's decree.

Six provinces will be used to host the training this year. They are Nakhon Nayok, Lopburi, Nakhon Ratchasima, Chonburi, Rayong, and Chanthaburi.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 21 April 2006

I always find it funny to take guns to make peace....

War games next month

Troops from Japan, Singapore, Indonesia and the United States will come to Thailand next month to take part in Asia’s biggest joint-military training exercises.

The 25th Cobra Gold multinational war games will take place on May 15-26 and will include virtual reality conflicts, peacekeeping maneuvers, humanitarian projects and field training for some 11,300 military personnel.

Singapore will send 96 troops, Japan 40 and Indonesia 15, with the rest coming from Thailand and the US.

Relief operations following the 2004 tsunami showed how useful the exercises had been, and multinational responses to global crises will be necessary in the future, US officials said.

The US, Singapore and Thailand – all military allies – will take part in peacekeeping training operations, humanitarian tasks and computer simulation exercises. Japanese personnel will only take part in computer simulation exercises and observe humanitarian activities.

There will also be counterterrorism exercises.

South Korea, Australia, France, Germany, Laos, Malaysia, China, the United Arab Emirates and Vietnam are sending observers.

This year’s event will have twice the number of last year’s participants.

Source: ThaiDay - 21 April 2006

Funny, how the US government just has to come to Pattaya every year. Is it really about training? George Bush loves Jesus but he sure has no problem with American GIs in cash-for play.

Don't get me wrong if I were in the militray I'd be happy as hel_l we were having a stop-over in the city of sin.

hmmm about 5k yank soldiers in town? ... Pattaya will be interesting !

Yes trust me been on Walking Street when one ship pulled in - bloody hel_l couldnt get away from there quick enough. I was chatting with one yank and he said two more ships were pulling in shortly. I decided to stay away from Walking Street and head for the lower soi(s). Apparently I think for the most part the military tells them to stick to Walking Street.

Funny, how the US government just has to come to Pattaya every year. Is it really about training? George Bush loves Jesus but he sure has no problem with American GIs in cash-for play.

Remember, todays Generals and Admirals were Junior grade officers around 25 years ago, and you can bet they had a great time in Thailand. I remember Pattaya in 1961 when there was basically the JUSMAG compound and dirt roads to Sukhumvitt. No bars, No beer bars, No ladies for hire just a pristene beach.

Important note: GWB might be a born again Christian but the Military doesn't Kow Tow to the Christian Right in the USA.

Remember, todays Generals and Admirals were Junior grade officers around 25 years ago, and you can bet they had a great time in Thailand. I remember Pattaya in 1961 when there was basically the JUSMAG compound and dirt roads to Sukhumvitt. No bars, No beer bars, No ladies for hire just a pristene beach.

Important note: GWB might be a born again Christian but the Military doesn't Kow Tow to the Christian Right in the USA.

You remember Pattaya in 1961? And the dirt roads and no bars etc? WOW! Tell us all about it! :o

Don't get me wrong if I were in the militray I'd be happy as hel_l we were having a stop-over in the city of sin.

Ummm just for training? No ... R&R of the special sort is lower on the list of reasons than you'd think though.

Training is probably reason #2 .... continued presence in SEA is probably reason #1 ....

and the boys are told to be good and not visit the BG's .... (fat chance of that!)

It has been noted by many observers that the young folks in the US military in Iraq are indeed largely comprised of poor, conservative, southern,Christian lads. Small group prayers to Jesus before combat ops are not uncommon. Yet just like their daddys, the young men are rather hypocritical when in comes to matters of sexual promiscuity.

And seeing that few of the upper echelons of the military opposed this ridiculous and tragic, for all of us, invasion of Iraq, one could argue that they did indeed kow tow to the Christian Right which was both heavily in favor of this pathetic military invasion and also in support of Boy George, Bush the younger.

The US military kow towed to George Bush. George Bush kow towed to the Christian Right. Oops, I forgot, they no longer teach logic in math courses anymore.

ummm like when a thread is about Thailand ... turning it into something about your personal feelings about W and Iraq? (but at a guess ... your country is one of them fighting there :o )

Edited by jdinasia

ummm like when a thread is about Thailand ... turning it into something about your personal feelings about W and Iraq? (but at a guess ... your country is one of them fighting there :o )

Sorry, caught me early in the AM before coffee.

It has been noted by many observers that the young folks in the US military in Iraq are indeed largely comprised of poor, conservative, southern,Christian lads. Small group prayers to Jesus before combat ops are not uncommon. Yet just like their daddys, the young men are rather hypocritical when in comes to matters of sexual promiscuity.

And seeing that few of the upper echelons of the military opposed this ridiculous and tragic, for all of us, invasion of Iraq, one could argue that they did indeed kow tow to the Christian Right which was both heavily in favor of this pathetic military invasion and also in support of Boy George, Bush the younger.

The US military kow towed to George Bush. George Bush kow towed to the Christian Right. Oops, I forgot, they no longer teach logic in math courses anymore.

Indeed, Inasmuch as the USA professes to be a Christian country you would expect prayer to Jesus & God before combat, matter of fact you might see a few doing the prayer in Pattaya before attacking the beer bars. But unlike previous wars (Pre 1980), this military is a volunteer army, no draft. The days when a kid who can't graduate from high school so he joins the army are gone, they have to actually posses a diploma or pass an equavalency exam. Poor, maybe, but many have joined who didn't need to. In perusing the lists of the casualties you will find that they come from all over the country, not just the South. Interesting note, the Army divisions most active have been from the South and the Marine corps has been essentially from the West. As for being conservative, in the USA you wouldn't expect a liberal to fight for his country!

As for the upper echelon military opposing the war, well it wasn't a few, it was an overwhelming majority, but that opposition stops once the president or congress sends them into action. There was no Kow Tow by the military, they acted as directed by their superiors. As to GWB kow towing to the Christian Right, I think that this statement understates his ass kissing towards the Christian Right.

And I aggree, this war is tragic, never should have happened, and now will drag on far to long for no apparant purpose.

Myself, I hope the kids enjoy their stay in LOS, get laid often and dump incredible amounts of cash into the local economy. You might be looking at some of the next generation of TV Expats in this group.