Moving to Kalasin

Barnet

Good morning,

I'm moving to Kalsin in November after 7 years of working in Chonburi. I could do if a bit of assistance if possible.

1. Are there any ex-pat pubs or places to visit and meet up with a few like minded people?

2. I'm buying a house next year (if all goes well) but I'll be looking at renting a small house with a garden no more than 20 minutes from the town center itself. Any assistance or recommendations would be much appreciated.

3. What is your experience of living in Kalasin?

Many thanks in advance

Ade

Good morning,

I'm moving to Kalsin in November after 7 years of working in Chonburi. I could do if a bit of assistance if possible.

1. Are there any ex-pat pubs or places to visit and meet up with a few like minded people?

2. I'm buying a house next year (if all goes well) but I'll be looking at renting a small house with a garden no more than 20 minutes from the town center itself. Any assistance or recommendations would be much appreciated.

3. What is your experience of living in Kalasin?

Many thanks in advance

Ade

Ade,

I have lived in Kalasin for the past 11 years, so I guess I can answer most questions about this Special place...

1. Only really one "Farang Bar", and it just openned up this year... It's called "Scott's Bar" but the owners name is Alex... Not being a drinker, can't really tell you much about the place other than Alex seems like a really nice guy.... 2 or 3 times a week there are several "Farangs" who meet up for Coffee's / Beer's at a place called Kalafare which is along side the lake in Nam Kin Park in the center of town, usually Tue., Thurs. & Saturdays around 3:PM... Some from America, Holland, German, England, and eleswhere... Then there is a small group that meet at the Su Pak hotel coffee shop on Thursdays about 1:PM, Mostly English, Austrailans and such...

2. As is the case in most smaller Isaan cities, finding a decent rental requires being here, asking everyone you can, driving around and looking for vacant places and talking to the neighbors... Most Rental houses seem to go from around 4,000 to 8,000 baht per month and the price does not always reflect Condition or Value of the Rental.... And everything in Kalasin is within 10 or 15 minutes, such is life in a smaller Thai city...

3. I have had both Good & Bad experiences living here in kalasin, but none that would ever convience me to move... I have traveled throughout Thailand and not found anywhere that I would consider trading my life here for...

If you can get up this way, I would enjoy sitting down with you over a cup of coffee and answering any questions that you might have have...

Pianoman

Ade, you have already made up your mind about this move but if I was you then I would try a months holiday up there first mate before moving all your belongings.

When I first moved to Isaan I lived in a small town in the sticks and I couldn't stand it for more than a few months before moving to a big city (Korat). My wife didn't enjoy it either after living in Samui for 6 years, and she was born there.

I know some people enjoy the country life but a hell of a lot more don't so I do advise you to try it first before burning your bridges.

HL

• Like 2

Ade, you have already made up your mind about this move but if I was you then I would try a months holiday up there first mate before moving all your belongings.

When I first moved to Isaan I lived in a small town in the sticks and I couldn't stand it for more than a few months before moving to a big city (Korat). My wife didn't enjoy it either after living in Samui for 6 years, and she was born there.

I know some people enjoy the country life but a hell of a lot more don't so I do advise you to try it first before burning your bridges.

HL

HL,

I would totally agree with your statement if Ade said that he was moving into a Village situation, but I took it as he was intending to move to Mueang Kalasin, which although still quiet, is nothing like living in the Village...

You suggestion about spending some time here first is excellent... I rented a place here in town and spent months traveling all around Thailand, and even after that still waited several years before commiting the money to build my own house...

Kalasin has truly grown and changed over the past 10+ years, but most of that has been for the better... And I still would not trade my life here for any other area that I have seen...

Pianoman

I live in a small village outside a small town, Suwannaphum in Roi Et but knew what to expect as I had visited the village many times before building a house to live in. A recce is always a good thing to do.

Also, having a hobby or 2 or 3 to help you pass the day is a must, IMHO. So playing Golf, Gardening, walking the dogs etc always gives you something to do between meeting the other ex=pats for a beer.

Good Luck.

HL

HL,

I would totally agree with your statement if Ade said that he was moving into a Village situation, but I took it as he was intending to move to Mueang Kalasin, which although still quiet, is nothing like living in the Village...

You suggestion about spending some time here first is excellent... I rented a place here in town and spent months traveling all around Thailand, and even after that still waited several years before commiting the money to build my own house...

Kalasin has truly grown and changed over the past 10+ years, but most of that has been for the better... And I still would not trade my life here for any other area that I have seen...

Pianoman

Hi pianoman, well I also took it that he was moving to a small town but I was guessing Kalasin was similar to Nong Ki in the Buriram province. I lived in Nong Ki for a few months about six years ago and there were no bars and not even any restaurants where I could get anything other than Isaan style food, which I do not eat. I like food like masuman or green curry, beef in oyster sauce, cashew nut etc etc, but I could not even find anywhere that would do me a fried rice. I believe there are quite a few more Farang there now so it may have changed a bit but then....it was just too much....so we moved up to Korat.

Anyway before all the knockers start I repeat that I do realise some like yourself, like the country style life and good luck to you all, but I still think the OP should have a long holiday there first to make sure he can stick it.

HL biggrin.png

Thanks for all the advice.

I've been going there 3 times a year for about 3 years now so I have an idea of what to expect but not much more than that. In a nutshell I want somewhere quiet, peaceful yet near enough to facilities that accommodate my needs. I work Monday - Friday so I only really go out for a beer at weekends and watch the football. My GF's family are well known in Kalasin so I'm hoping they'll be able to help with most things. The ideal place to live would be just far enough outside the center of Kalasin to appreciate the countryside yet near enough to get into work in the mornings.

I've been living in a Thai town that has gone from a decent sized, well run area to an absolute monster full of traffic, queues, revolting people both Thai and non-Thai which isn't what I came here for. Every time we visit Kalasin I'm bowled over by the people, the ease in which you can walk around, lack of heavy traffic and the community feeling. It may work out and it may not but the beauty of Thailand is you can always try another province should the need arise.

Pianoman, I shall be up in the 2nd or 3rd week of October so I will give you a shout and arrange a coffee.

Thanks for all the advice.

I've been going there 3 times a year for about 3 years now so I have an idea of what to expect but not much more than that. In a nutshell I want somewhere quiet, peaceful yet near enough to facilities that accommodate my needs. I work Monday - Friday so I only really go out for a beer at weekends and watch the football. My GF's family are well known in Kalasin so I'm hoping they'll be able to help with most things. The ideal place to live would be just far enough outside the center of Kalasin to appreciate the countryside yet near enough to get into work in the mornings.

I've been living in a Thai town that has gone from a decent sized, well run area to an absolute monster full of traffic, queues, revolting people both Thai and non-Thai which isn't what I came here for. Every time we visit Kalasin I'm bowled over by the people, the ease in which you can walk around, lack of heavy traffic and the community feeling. It may work out and it may not but the beauty of Thailand is you can always try another province should the need arise.

Pianoman, I shall be up in the 2nd or 3rd week of October so I will give you a shout and arrange a coffee.

You say 3 times a year but for how long each time.... if its only a week or even a few days then you cant tell from that because it is a novelty but if after a month and you are still enjoying not speaking English with anyone and not being able to buy meals that you enjoy, then good luck to you my friend, and I sincerely mean that. On the other hand maybe you have already stayed there for a whole month in which case you are well aware whether you are cut out for it. Anyway I am not trying to put you off, just trying to make you aware that its not for everyone....ok. lol

HL biggrin.png

• Like 1

I live in a small village in Kalasin Provence, but lived in Kalasin for three years teaching. For my money it is the best city in Thailand to live, and I was there before Big C and Tesco came to town. Since the OP is moving in late October, I'm guessing you have a teaching job, if so you won't have enough free time to get bored.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just my five cents. I'd think twice, moving to a place where HER family lives. Better go to a more developed place like Ubon, etc..and don't get involved with your Misses' family.

Why don't you give it a try and stay there for one week? Then you'll know what i mean.Welcome to the jungle.-wai2.gif

Yep, thoughts of family involvement have crossed my mind which is one of the primary reasons we'll rent for 6 months - 1 year first. I get on really well with them, it's the GF that doesn't always! They're a good bunch on the whole and we've made it clear from the start that they need to respect our privacy. Whether they do is part of the course I guess. If they do great, if they don't so be it.

I've only been for a week at a time so again we'll rent first to be sure.

Yep, I have a job lined up which hopefully will occupy my week.

Like I say, I've had my cut of city life in Thailand and it's not for me. I'm London born and bred and love big cities but I'm happiest in a quiet, peaceful environment where getting to work won't ruin your whole morning.

If all goes well I'll be there either last week of October or mid-November.

I forgot to say that I'm getting married on November 30th at the Rimpao hotel! Don't do thing by half us cockneys!!

Kalasin really isn't as small as some seem to think... There are 3 Colleges, it is the largest city in the Province, now with both a Lotus and a Big C, and Khon Kaen is just an hour's drive with many more shopping options and many Farang Bars and Restaurants if that is what you require...

There are many smaller Mo Ban's / Developments around the outskirts of Mueang Kalasin but still within minutes of the center of town... And I have found the Thai residents of Kalasin to be totally open and welcoming to us resident Farangs....

I agree that living in close proximity to the In-Laws can be problematic, but even a few kilometers can make a big difference from having them next door or just down the soi as you would have in most "Village" situations..

As much as I love life here, I would never say that it is for everyone, and totally agree with spending time any place prior to making a semi-permanent move....

Pianoman

The town we currently live in has Big C, Robinson the lot but unless you're into either shopping or spending all day long in an A/C coffee shop with free wi-fi there's still nothing much to do.

Pianoman, I'd appreciate any numbers you could message me with concerning moving our stuff up here. I'd like to get that sorted as soon as we can.

Again, thanks for all the help.

The town we currently live in has Big C, Robinson the lot but unless you're into either shopping or spending all day long in an A/C coffee shop with free wi-fi there's still nothing much to do.

Pianoman, I'd appreciate any numbers you could message me with concerning moving our stuff up here. I'd like to get that sorted as soon as we can.

My Girlfriend of the past 10+ years is currently living in Paris and sending money home for me to put into her bank account... She refuses to take my money to support her extended family (I know, not the typical Thai) she has been there for about 8 months now, but I will contact some of her family and try to get you some contact numbers to work with... It would probably be best to wait until you are up here and have a place to move everything into, but that is up to you....

Once again, I will try to get you some contact numbers but it may take a little while...

Pianoman

hahaha obviously all our advice has fallen on deaf ears but sincere good luck my friend.

HL biggrin.png

Just my five cents. I'd think twice, moving to a place where HER family lives. Better go to a more developed place like Ubon, etc..and don't get involved with your Misses' family.

Why don't you give it a try and stay there for one week? Then you'll know what i mean.Welcome to the jungle.-wai2.gif

take this advice although i have never suffered at the hands of my wf's family she make's sure of that and thats after being together 26yrs.you say her family will be able to help, house ect.dont even go there, my guess is sure they will help[theirselves] and dont forget you pay but cant own anything. if you want what i have peace and quiet,can of beer at home,plenty of expats to choose from as mates,good shopping and plenty of home food well come to korat.

t.i.t. taffy in thailand.

Is that all you can offer Crab? You must be pretty bored to troll around making pointless comments.

We've always used the postal service to send stuff back and forth and when my cousin moved to Hua Hin he rented a pickup with a driver. I've never heard of the service Pianoman has mentinonned that's why I'm asking for his help.

Is that all you can offer Crab? You must be pretty bored to troll around making pointless comments.

We've always used the postal service to send stuff back and forth and when my cousin moved to Hua Hin he rented a pickup with a driver. I've never heard of the service Pianoman has mentinonned that's why I'm asking for his help.

A lot of the smaller villages have drivers who make what usually ends up being twice a week trips, mostly to Bangkok, but some to Pattaya... They usually charge from 400 to 600 baht per person, each way,

depending on the driver and where you sit in the truck (inside is more expensive)... I used one of them several years ago to send a Honda Phantom that I sold to a guy in Pattaya, and it was very convienent...

Seeing as you are down that way yourself, I would suggest that you stop in a few bars around Pattaya and ask some of the girls, especially ones from this area (Kalasin / Roi Et / Mahasarkham) and I am sure that they will have some current phone numbers... I tried calling the one number I had from sending the phantom, but it is disconnected... I will talk to my GF in the next couple of weeks when she calls from Paris to see if she either has another number or can recommend someone local who might have a number...

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

Stop in any local car rental shop in Pattaya or Kalasin and they would most likely arrange it for you -- when I moved from Isaan to Bangkok the driver was a cop on his day off who arranged for the truck.

... and in trying to find a driver you just had to mention in your post as to how well connected your future in-laws are. It's Isaan: Everybody is connected.

Yep, thoughts of family involvement have crossed my mind which is one of the primary reasons we'll rent for 6 months - 1 year first. I get on really well with them, it's the GF that doesn't always! They're a good bunch on the whole and we've made it clear from the start that they need to respect our privacy. Whether they do is part of the course I guess. If they do great, if they don't so be it.

I've only been for a week at a time so again we'll rent first to be sure.

Yep, I have a job lined up which hopefully will occupy my week.

Like I say, I've had my cut of city life in Thailand and it's not for me. I'm London born and bred and love big cities but I'm happiest in a quiet, peaceful environment where getting to work won't ruin your whole morning.

If all goes well I'll be there either last week of October or mid-November.

I forgot to say that I'm getting married on November 30th at the Rimpao hotel! Don't do thing by half us cockneys!!

yes, I got the court case and Isaan monument to prove it! cheesy.gif

Best wishes to you and 'the trouble'. All good advice here and I believe you are taking a sensible route in looking for rentals near to town but still in travelling distance to (away from) her family. I am in exactly the same situation you wish to be in, in another Isaan city (origins/work and location/family) and am very happy to be here.

Good luck, mate.