International Drivers' Permit - my Thailand experience

Kaoboi Bebobp

Here's what you need, from the Bangkok District 3 (Bang Chak office) Department of Land Transport handout in their EXACT words, with my comments in square brackets:

--Five-year Thai driving licence (original and photocopy) [Copy back AND front of licence cards]

--Passport with non-immigrant visa (original and copy) [Note: you also want to copy the usual stuff, latest entry stamp, re-entry permit, departure card, passport info page]

--Original present resident address in Thailand certify from embassy or work permit (original and copy) [Note, it specifies notarized embassy address statement and does not say you can use proof of residence from immigration -- needs checking]

--two photos 2 inches (not more than 6 months) [2x4 is typical Thailand visa photo size. Has to be less than 6 months old. One photo is glued into folding permit card, one kept in their files]

Cost 505 baht.

If you are confident you have all the papers, you can skip the entry door check-in desk and go straight to counter 8, to your right. They will check your papers there, then they will give you a ticket number. Mine was 907. Believe that's a specific service range. When I was waiting, numbers being served were in the 150s and some in the 530s. At about 180, my number 907 came up. So I suppose the service numbers run in a single queue based on time-in.

My copies and originals were thoroughly checked. Was in the office just before 11:00 and out at 12:15, despite a full house of customers.

• 1 month later...