Distribute internet in my apartment

newcomer71

First of all, nice to write on the forum. I am a newbie as poster but I followed Thaivisa in the past years as a reader only.

I just changed apartment in Bangkok and I have to face a new situation.

Internet is already available in the building and distributed by wifi. I can access paying a monthly subscription that comes with a user ID and a password.

Having 2 laptops and 2 mobile phones and 1 iPad that I wish to keep always on, and having only the chance to connect only one device at a time with a standard configuration, I found 2 different solutions:

1) Use a virtual hotspot on one of my laptops to distribute the signal to the other devices

2) Use a router/extender for do the same thing.

As seen as sometimes I am out of home but my girlfriend would still use the internet on iPad and phones, the solution one is good only when I am home, so the second one would be more efficient.

Remark: the building system has some policy that make sure that every 6-7 hours the user logoff automatically, so have to logon manually when this happen.

Being not an expert of wireless networking, which device (wifi router/repeater) should I use in the way that:

- This device will be always connected to the main network

- Any connected mobile, pad, pc has to be able to login in case there is an automatic logoff

- The device have the possibility to share the connection ALSO to a wired lan (for devices as a TV for example).

Hopefully some hi-tech genius can help me on this matter, I asked in some shop but they show no competency :(

Thanks a lot in advance...

Difficult one. what you would have to do is called mac mac changing. Most. hotspot solutions authenticate a mac address with your username and password. Windows 7 & 8 have blocked mac changers, so instead be 00:XX.xx:xx:xx you only can be 02:xx:xx.xx.xx

You have to root ipad's and i phones to get this working there.

You could try to get mac masquerading in your router, but routers don't enter a username and password..

I suggest you get your own line.

Thank you ChicoG and JakeBKK... It would be indeed the best solution to get my personal line, but my rental contract does not allow me to :(

I will try to explain better my point here :) Because I realized maybe I did not describe well what I would like to do:

All my devices will be connected to the router/extender (or anything that will do the job :P) This router (access point maybe?) will be connected to the main network...

Is what I already do with connectify on my pc. But obviously if I am out with my notebooks, only one device can connect to the main network because it doesn't have anything that distribute the connection...

If anyone else could come out with a suggestion I will be very grateful :)

Thank you all guys!

i bought a Tenda portable router for this use fron Pantip. it was a couple thousand baht a couple of years back. At the size of a cigarrette box it is quite handy.

The router stores the username and password for the wifi network and reconnects with the proper credentials if the connection is cut. So no hassle, just configure it once and you have your own wifi network for all your devices. Just remember to secure your wifi as well, otherwise you will certainly have neighbors and visitors (ab)using it as well.

• Like 1

Guys thanks to your suggestions, I found the solution.

What I was asking in the beginning is possible to solve buying a router that supports WISP.

This will allow to connect the router as a device to the existing wifi network and distribute it on a new wifi (of course protected) network and to lan connected terminals (such as xbox for my boy or tv).

Thanks to you all for the contributions that lighted my bulb ;)

Most repeaters wont work since they just extend the range of an existing wifi.

What you need is a wifi receiver and a separate hotspot.

The way I would do it is with 2 wrt-54gl boxes running tomato firmware.

These are great reliable and flexible boxes, ok by default but brilliant with tomato software running. The store should be able to install it, shouldnt cost much if anything... If they cant try another shop. Cost about 2k each new.

1 box is a wireless client that receives your current wifi signal.The other box is connected via a cable to the first and runs as a wireless access point.

This provides access to as many wireless and 4 wired devices as you have from a single password connected wifi account. Can reconnect wifi on disconnection no probs.

Sharing a building's limited-bandwidth WiFi really sucks, especially if you want IPTV.
While the building might not allow a 'wired' option, they can't really stop you from using a 3G Wireless Data contract, so some other possibilities would be:

1. 3G hotspot (3G WiFi Router; MiFi; etc)
2. WiFi router that can use a USB 3G AirCard
3. WiFi repeater with sector panel pointed at a 3BB, or other WiFi provider tower.

At a previous rental house I used a USB stick on a long USB extension to connect to a 3BB 99฿/mo 30mbps connection, and had the laptop hotspot the signal off it's internal WiFi. But then, I am a cheapskate.

My experience has been that any communal wifi system sucks... So before you invest in hardware to distribute the communal wifi I would confirm that it is worth the cost & effort... Your money might be better spent investing in a cellular 3/4G connection...

Thank you all for your suggestions :)

I don't think a 3g connection is suitable for me... I use to watch videos (Better, my sweet half enjoys that), and that would make my monthly bill skyrocket.

I found a pocket router that serves also as a bridge for a price around 1,000 THB - TPLink TL-WR702N... As far as I can see it should do the job.

I see in the overview of the oldest brother TL-WR700N that bridge mode does exactly what I need! :D

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TL-WR700N

The router has only a lan port, but I can overcome the problem connecting it to a lan switch :)

Does anyone more "expert" than me confirm that the thing will work? :)

You have been warned... If the wifi in your building turns out to suck the building can not make it better... Anyone there in a position of authority will consider the wifi router as some sort of high tech spirit house and be able to only offer a smile and a comforting mai ben rai...

• 4 months later...

And I found also this:

http://www.tenda.cn/tendacn/product/show.aspx?productid=371

Comments are welcome smile.png

This is exactly the device I have and which i mentioned in my post above. Found it in a small computer repair/parts shop in Pantip Plaza (floor 3 or 4, on the right hand side "alley" if you enter through the main doors). And also, the WISP mode is what I was referring to.

Thank you ChicoG and JakeBKK... It would be indeed the best solution to get my personal line, but my rental contract does not allow me to sad.png

Screw that, get a Mifi device with a 3G provider and hide the SSID. How will they even know you have your own, and why on earth is it their business anyway?

Wow, it's surprising to see my topic is still alive ;)

I temporarily solved with Tenda device :) Then after a fight style Suthep-Yingluck with owner I finally bring 3BB to my home, all another story, and the device came anyway handy!

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions! :)