Gecko on Steroids?

Not sure if this is the proper form to ask this question, but it is "House" related so here goes....

After 6 or 7 years living in the current house I have not really had any problems contending with the numerous small Geckos that seem to always be in the house... But the last couple of weeks I started hearing the loud "Tow Kay" type of sound, and I use that description of the sound because that is what a Thai neighbor called the best when she heard it... Then 2 days ago I caught my first sight of the creature, and it looks like a Gecko of steroid's, about 20 to 25 cm from it's nose to the tip of it's tail... Anyway, I would like to either discourage him from staying, or actively capture and evict the free loader....

Being as my Thai GF has been out of the country for the past few months, and it will be several more until she returns, I can't really call upon her "Thai Logic / Knowledge" for the proper or most efficient way of doing this... Due to both my age and physical condition, chasing it down and capturing it is out of the question, so looking for suggestions.... Trap??? Bait??? Whatever????

Pianoman

What is the problem with the Geckos/Tockay?

Geckos eat flies and mosquito...who eat mosquitos is automatically my friend.

Tockays are one of the few animals that eat cockroaches (not sure but I got told so)...who eat cockroaches is automatically my friend

both are complete harmless to people. Tockay can bite but only if there is no way to escape...

Tockays are one of the few animals that eat cockroaches (not sure but I got told so)...who eat cockroaches is automatically my friend

both are complete harmless to people. Tockay can bite but only if there is no way to escape...

I have not problem with Geckos around the house and know that they help to keep small insects in check... But not a fan of the loud, Large Tockay especially if he is eating my Geckos... And I do not have any cockroaches for him to lunch on, so must be targeting the Geckos...

I don't really want to kill or harm the thing, but would just prefer that it lived somewhere other than my house... Still looking for suggestions to get rid of the bugger...

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

Pay somebody to catch the thing. Let me find out, my staff in the hotel used to trap them before I joined (they are no longer allowed to do so).

I have seen the smaller Live Traps in some of the "Thai Everything" shops, figrued that they are used for rats / whatever, but not sure what would be best and easiest to obtain for use as Bait for said Traps... Suggestions appreciated...

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

Why is it too many people on here,they have just got to see some

live creature and they want to poison it,trap it, kill it ! basically don't

want to live anywhere near it, Rats ,mice, and cockroaches yes,but

just leave the Frogs,Geckos Birds and Snakes alone, just learn to

live with them, if you took time to look,study them ,you would be a

better person.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

I have not problem with Geckos around the house and know that they help to keep small insects in check... But not a fan of the loud, Large Tockay especially if he is eating my Geckos... And I do not have any cockroaches for him to lunch on, so must be targeting the Geckos...

I don't really want to kill or harm the thing, but would just prefer that it lived somewhere other than my house... Still looking for suggestions to get rid of the bugger...

Pianoman

Here the neighbors had one in the garden and superstitious as they are they believe it bring bad luck. The harassed it by spraying water on it and they target it with an air rifle, but this kind of children, it shoots a plastic ball 2-3 meter far. I think you could shoot someone in the eye without doing harm.

Later I didn't hear him anymore, but I hear him or a other at the next house. So it might has worked.....

large gecko = large gecko shit = not really preferable.

I checked: the pest control here use a poison they spray on the poor things and they fall out of the roof. My local staff (I live in Cambodia and we have lots of Tockays) say they use a long thin stick or bamboo with a noose at the end.

just leave him alone,he won't stay long

they move around a lot (house to house)

back in the day the GI's called them "<deleted> you lizards" because of the sound they make

if they make the "<deleted> you" sound three times in a row,its supost to bring good luck

also its very bad luck to kill one

Edited by happynthailand

just leave him alone,he won't stay long

they move around a lot (house to house)

back in the day the GI's called them "<deleted> you lizards" because of the sound they make

if they make the "<deleted> you" sound three times in a row,its supost to bring good luck

also its very bad luck to kill one

Luck luck luck..... If you believe in it, most like you only get the bad of it. At least that's what I've seen:)

Did a 3 phase attact... Whenever I could see him I wold either spray him with water from a spray bottle, or chase him with a broom, and 3 times were able to use my Airsoft pistol for direct hits... Anyway, 3 days of repeated attacks and he chose to leave on his own... Guss he got the idea that he was not really wanted...

Thanks to all for the suggests....

Pianoman

If you are really set in catching it, find it and put your damn hand on it. Gardening gloves would not hurt I guess. They are not hard to catch. They tend to think you can't see them. They will usually sit behind something in a little crevice. If you can move that thing, whatever it is a tad without disturbing it too much, then go for it. Put it outside, it may come back in, then repeat the process :)

I helped my girlfriend's dad catch one of these once. Not too difficult with two people; one guy knocks it off the wall with a broomstick, the other guy catches it in a bag or pillowcase or whatever.

He was planning to keep it for awhile, fatten it up and sell it. Evidently if you can get one nice and big it can fetch quite a bit of money (one of those Chinese 'make you strong' deals). Never got the chance, the MIL felt sorry for the poor thing and let it go.

Edited by andrewrooney