Merc C200 AMG Styling Promotion B 2.2M vs. Skoda Supurb B 1.7M

OMGImInPattaya

There are just so many bullet points in favor of the C200 I don't even have the time to contemplate them all, let alone type them wink.png

Well maybe just a few of the major ones, besides prestige and resale values?

Dealer Network.

Reliability.

Parts Availability.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reliability, Realy. ?. Over the last 10 Years the Old Scratchers Hondas have been more reliable,plus a Branch on every Street Corner like Mom N Pops Shops..Nah im no Benz Fan less its a big Sports Model with a real engine , not a tuned 1.8.with a bit more tweakin than a Civic and 2.5 times more expensive. Baby Beamers the way to go.biggrin.png

Reliability, Realy. ?. Over the last 10 Years the Old Scratchers Hondas have been more reliable,plus a Branch on every Street Corner like Mom N Pops Shops..Nah im no Benz Fan less its a big Sports Model with a real engine , not a tuned 1.8.with a bit more tweakin than a Civic and 2.5 times more expensive. Baby Beamers the way to go.biggrin.png

The comparison here is to reliability of Skoda - go talk to someone who's owned a VW recently - a Toyota they are not....

There are just so many bullet points in favor of the C200 I don't even have the time to contemplate them all, let alone type them wink.png

Dealer Network.

Reliability.

Parts Availability.

Thanks for the news flash but I think I mentioned all those in the op! Reliability...as its basically a V-W, do you consider that brand to be unreliable as well? How about Audi...also a V-W brand...or are you just a Merc fanboy?

Issue is that the C200 is now nearing the end of its life, hence why they give you the bodykit etc; will be replaced in 2014/15. Skoda is a new model NOW (from memory) based on the MQB platform. Golf for 2.0m is a mark 6 (again, older generation) but a great deal for a GTI (Scirocco is also very close to 2m as well, and is likely to be around a bit longer - thought very long and hard as the Scirocco is sex on wheels to look at).

In almost every test the Skoda now rates really really well, but yes, the badge has less prestige that an Euro prestige brand (VW) and certainly less than a luxury brand (Audi, Benz, BMW). however, the C and the A are both pretty budget in places, and Benz I am amazed they are offering 3 years of maintenance, normally Benz in the past has no servicing at all for free so expect to open your wallet from day 1 for maintenance (check this, is it 3 years warranty or 3 years full maintenance).

The A Class hatch is likely to depreciate a bit, at 2.49m a newer model than the current C, but the dual clutch in a Benz is not to my taste. The CLA is a newer model and similar size to a C class (longer, but a lot less headroom), looks sexier and very elegant, but is a FWD (if this matters to you for drifting etc :-) and you will be stuck waiting forever for the car (think mid 2014).

Over 5-7 years of ownership, that might not matter in terms of depreciation; the non Thai assembled cars will tend to depreciate a little quicker, and the older models will also depreciate with a little 'bump' once the new model comes in.

The other options (FrankPhuket and I have been through a fair few of these) are thus:

C200

CLA (best 4 door from a prestige/price perspective, long wait)

A class

Skoda Superb

VW Golf GTI

VW Scirocco (best sporty 3 door)

Volvo V40 (this would almost be my pick if you want a Hatch, very very good value for the spec)

• Like 1

I'd like to hear more about a Golf GTi for 2 million Baht ? VW Thailands cra* website lists it at 2.6 mil and despite showing pics of the 3 door (which I'd like) the brochure and price list (in Thai) only talk about the five door (no thanks)

Like pretty much every other car in Thailand there is no manual option ( okay DSG is better than a conventional slushbox but still not my cup of tea) I'd be happy to pay 2.6 for a 3 door manual BTW..

Well, I got my VW Golf GTI in April 2012 and paid 1.9m for (new, but thru grey market). I learned about a special price and phoned them (VW Thailand) just to check last week and they told me the special price now is 2.1m, still slightly negotiable. This is for the 4 door version. I have the 2 door one (only available thru grey I believe). The 4 door actually is more expensive. So probably officially it is 2.6m but as the MK7 is to arrive any time soon (or later) they need to clear old stock.

And yes, i also would have preferred a manual than the DSG, especially as I had a leak in the DSG after only 10,000km and had to spend 50,000 to fix it....not that impressed with VW. But other than that the car is great. I have it remapped (about 260hp) and it does fly. Interior quality is great, so is the ride. Quite a bit more powerful than my MINI GP (which is more fun, being a manual though, but not as practical). My problem is that I am in Phuket and servicing is somewhat difficult with the VW.

• Like 1

Dealer Network.

Reliability.

Parts Availability.

Thanks for the news flash but I think I mentioned all those in the op! Reliability...as its basically a V-W, do you consider that brand to be unreliable as well? How about Audi...also a V-W brand...or are you just a Merc fanboy?

I think I'm pretty unbiased when it comes to car brands, but I'm also a realist wink.png

I'm pretty sure I recommended the Skoda to you in a previous thread in fact - though is did say "if you're feeling very brave", hehe..

VW does not have the reliability that brands like Benz, BMW, Honda and Toyota enjoy. Yes, VAG do a better job with their premium brands (Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Audi), but their entry level brands (VW, Skoda, SEAT) have more than their fare share of problems.

I think being stuck upcountry without a service center, and in a situation where you could wait months for parts is a pretty big turn-off, no matter how good the car drives. Audi suffers the same problems in TH - so many time I've been interested in one, but the thought of being stranded in some dusty village in a 6M+ Baht car was enough to bring me to my senses....

Edited by IMHO

No problems with plastic parts on the V60 after over a year. Has he a cheaper ford based model ? Leather seats have gone in places but that is a factory recall.

He has an XC90. Not sure what the cause could be, but he has kids who can run a rampage (and he is not particularly soft with leasing cars either).

My son is only 1 year old. We might have problems with the plastic bits in a year or two. biggrin.png

Am I the only one finds someone asking for opinions about something and then attacking the people that offer one up a little odd? Fan boy indeed.

You want it, go but it and then come back and tell us how bitchin’ it is.

He could always hire it out if it does'nt work out coming here first to determine the rates of coursewhistling.gif

Am I the only one finds someone asking for opinions about something and then attacking the people that offer one up a little odd? Fan boy indeed.

You want it, go but it and then come back and tell us how bitchin it is.

The poster said he had too many reasons to mention in favor of the Merc and then comes back with one new comment about reliability... yeah, not really very enlightening.

Go get one, they are great, you will love it! My wife has one and loves being the envy of all her friends. I drive it once in a while and it is fantastic, smooth, powerful and beautiful European quality and workmanship throughout. Service is not an issue and customer service is great. I like it so much I am thinking of getting one for myself if I can sell the SLS! I can't believe more people aren't buying them as they are such a great car and the value truly cannot be matched!

Is that more what you had in mind?

Not all are happy with the Beamers just look here, 160K us$ out of the window (Germany).

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/bmw-m6-owner-goes-hulk-over-defects-smashes-163648995.html

biggrin.png So it's not only the Thais smashing their cars when unhappy with it.

You want it, go but it and then come back and tell us how bitchin it is.

The poster said he had too many reasons to mention in favor of the Merc and then comes back with one new comment about reliability... yeah, not really very enlightening.

I'm not being paid to post here buddy, and I reserve to right to only give short replies, or no replies at all biggrin.png

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Not all are happy with the Beamers just look here, 160K us$ out of the window (Germany).

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/bmw-m6-owner-goes-hulk-over-defects-smashes-163648995.html

biggrin.png So it's not only the Thais smashing their cars when unhappy with it.

Dont be Fooled,those 2 Dorks work in sales for S.S.Von Clump Benz.A.G.w00t.gifthumbsup.gif

Seems to me that only Gray Market offers anything different. Hi So Big Brother always buys from them,wonder why.?. Thai Built stuff beneath them.?Remember 10 Jags Chavalit. not bad for a Soldier. The Yapping Copper runs a Rolls,the list is endless, even their People Carriers are Gray Imports 75 % of the time. Id give the Skoda a try in the real World, but not here.coffee1.gif

Go get one, they are great, you will love it! My wife has one and loves being the envy of all her friends. I drive it once in a while and it is fantastic, smooth, powerful and beautiful European quality and workmanship throughout. Service is not an issue and customer service is great. I like it so much I am thinking of getting one for myself if I can sell the SLS! I can't believe more people aren't buying them as they are such a great car and the value truly cannot be matched!

Is that more what you had in mind?

Well you've flabbergasted me i could have held my breath after all, now for 100% feedback all the OP has to do is contact the other Superb owners in Thailand can't be hard finding 4 cars can it?

People saying about being worried about the Volvo being made in Malaysia, where is the Mercedes made/assembled ? At 100k cheaper than the Volvo there is no way it's subject to full non-asean import tax. It's got to be in a low wages Asean country or Thailand.

Edit: 50k cheaper.

Edited by arthurwait

People saying about being worried about the Volvo being made in Malaysia, where is the Mercedes made/assembled ? At 100k cheaper than the Volvo there is no way it's subject to full non-asean import tax. It's got to be in a low wages Asean country or Thailand.

It's assembled in Thailand. Thailand has built up quite a name for itself in auto assembly over the past 20 years. It seems to me Thais can be trained and are to some extent detail oriented by nature so make good assembly line workers. Malaysians not so much and certainly not much history in auto manufacturing. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I drove a newish Skoda Superb in Europe on a holiday 3 years ago and I was impressed with it. Felt a better build quality than my neighbors C200, especially the interior.

Skoda is not the same car as it was even 15 years ago. VW has wholly owned them since 2000. Any car before then is not the same.

I would still take the C200, just like the look of it, and it is a good car in general.

At least the Malaysian Govenment made an effort to create their own brand from Mitsu in the Mid Eighties, unlike this lot who want everything done for them.Proton represent good Motoring value here these days imo , but not the Bargirls choise.giggle.gif

Caterham and Lotus as well. One day Thailand may have two F1 teams.

It's assembled in Thailand. Thailand has built up quite a name for itself in auto assembly over the past 20 years. It seems to me Thais can be trained and are to some extent detail oriented by nature so make good assembly line workers. Malaysians not so much and certainly not much history in auto manufacturing.

I'll politely agree to disagree.

At least the Malaysian Govenment made an effort to create their own brand from Mitsu in the Mid Eighties, unlike this lot who want everything done for them.Proton represent good Motoring value here these days imo , but not the Bargirls choise.giggle.gif

Not really, what the actual history is that about 20 years ago, neither Thailand or Malaysia had any automotive manufacturing sector to speak of. It's actually kind of interesting from an economic development point of view because both countries were starting from the same place but took opposite routes to start up their auto industries.

Thailand said why reinvent the wheel. We have some of the best and most technologically advanced auto manufacturers a few hours north of Thailand and they are looking to expand and outsource some production to lower cost countries. So let's offer them incentives to relocate some factories to Thailand. Heck, we'll even give them their own little piece of bangkok, thaniya plaza, so their execs will have a place to carouse after work and feel like they are still back in Tokyo.

So what happened? The Japanese manufacturers invested massively in Thailand, providing jobs, training, and technical know-how to the Thais. A large parts supplier bade also developed. Advertising, sales, and marketing jobs and industries followed so that today, Thailand has one of the largest auto manufacturing sectors of any country outside north america, Europe, and Japan. It is the world leader in production of one-ton pickups.

The Japanese were so successful that Merc, BMV, and the american auto companies soon followed with their own plants.

Contrast this with Malaysia. They went on their nationalist bent and decided to develop their own auto industry from scratch on their own. The vehicle for this was the Proton brand. The brand has always been a laughing stock and no Malaysian would ever buy one if they could afford anything else. Mechanically and in terms of fit and finish, we're talking only a few rungs above a Yugo here; and of course, the brand has had basically no success outside Malaysia and would have gone bankrupt years ago without generous government financial backing.

So yes, Thailand has a vibrant and flourishing domestic and export auto industry while Malaysia is more or less back where they were 20 years ago with none to speak of.