Merc C200 AMG Styling Promotion B 2.2M vs. Skoda Supurb B 1.7M

OMGImInPattaya

I'd like to hear more about a Golf GTi for 2 million Baht ? VW Thailands cra* website lists it at 2.6 mil and despite showing pics of the 3 door (which I'd like) the brochure and price list (in Thai) only talk about the five door (no thanks)

Like pretty much every other car in Thailand there is no manual option ( okay DSG is better than a conventional slushbox but still not my cup of tea) I'd be happy to pay 2.6 for a 3 door manual BTW..

Well, I got my VW Golf GTI in April 2012 and paid 1.9m for (new, but thru grey market). I learned about a special price and phoned them (VW Thailand) just to check last week and they told me the special price now is 2.1m, still slightly negotiable. This is for the 4 door version. I have the 2 door one (only available thru grey I believe). The 4 door actually is more expensive. So probably officially it is 2.6m but as the MK7 is to arrive any time soon (or later) they need to clear old stock.

And yes, i also would have preferred a manual than the DSG, especially as I had a leak in the DSG after only 10,000km and had to spend 50,000 to fix it....not that impressed with VW. But other than that the car is great. I have it remapped (about 260hp) and it does fly. Interior quality is great, so is the ride. Quite a bit more powerful than my MINI GP (which is more fun, being a manual though, but not as practical). My problem is that I am in Phuket and servicing is somewhat difficult with the VW.

Thanks for the info. I remember seeing your mini for sale and considering it as I'd rented a Cooper S in the UK and liked the way it drove (for a fwd) Biggest incentive for me was the fact that Coopers were available in Thailand with a manual. I looked through all the secondhand sites for something interesting that fit my bill ( 2 doors, 200+ hp and manual ) Not much selection even if you budget up to 4mil. Thais just want autos it seems. Anyhow I ended up with a 225hp TT Quattro. It was very low mileage and in great condition. I had it chipped and added new Bilsteins and poly bushes. It's good fun and not bad value for Thailand. Will be looking to trade it in next year. Scirocco looks good but would have less performance than my TT unless I chip it. Other option is to save and go for secondhand Porsche Cayman with DSG which is another jump in price even for a 2008/9. There really isn't much choice for a decent sports car here. Unless you count four door sports saloons like 320d.. but then it's back to auto again sad.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

indeed i was trying to sell my MINI GP, but finally decided that I can't let it go....

Was just about the time my GTI developed the DSG issue and had a buyer confirmed (at 1.6m), but needed a car, so my GP was the daily drive for 2 months and finally I could appreciate it the way it should be. (and honestly letting it go at that price just hurt too much, it is just worth more for enthusiast, which are hard to find, as very few know what a GP is, they just think it is another MINI) I had issues since i bought it 2nd hand and step by step sorted them out (before I put it up for sale) till finally it is all 'purrrfect' and what a joy it is....I feel it is motoring like it should be...pure....the sound, the feel...too much fun to sell.

I have the same issue, no manual drives available, it is not really the top end power we need, but the fun in acceleration, etc. and this just does not feel the same with an auto or DSG.

Just another choice thrown in: Peugeot RCZ in the 200 hp version has a manual stick and I believe can be ordered thru Peugeot Thailand for around 3m. It probably ain't as fast as our TT or even a Scirocco, but nice nonetheless.

and you are right the 320D is no option, good drive, but nah....

I'd like to hear more about a Golf GTi for 2 million Baht ? VW Thailands cra* website lists it at 2.6 mil and despite showing pics of the 3 door (which I'd like) the brochure and price list (in Thai) only talk about the five door (no thanks)
Like pretty much every other car in Thailand there is no manual option ( okay DSG is better than a conventional slushbox but still not my cup of tea) I'd be happy to pay 2.6 for a 3 door manual BTW..

Well, I got my VW Golf GTI in April 2012 and paid 1.9m for (new, but thru grey market). I learned about a special price and phoned them (VW Thailand) just to check last week and they told me the special price now is 2.1m, still slightly negotiable. This is for the 4 door version. I have the 2 door one (only available thru grey I believe). The 4 door actually is more expensive. So probably officially it is 2.6m but as the MK7 is to arrive any time soon (or later) they need to clear old stock.

And yes, i also would have preferred a manual than the DSG, especially as I had a leak in the DSG after only 10,000km and had to spend 50,000 to fix it....not that impressed with VW. But other than that the car is great. I have it remapped (about 260hp) and it does fly. Interior quality is great, so is the ride. Quite a bit more powerful than my MINI GP (which is more fun, being a manual though, but not as practical). My problem is that I am in Phuket and servicing is somewhat difficult with the VW.

Thanks for the info. I remember seeing your mini for sale and considering it as I'd rented a Cooper S in the UK and liked the way it drove (for a fwd) Biggest incentive for me was the fact that Coopers were available in Thailand with a manual. I looked through all the secondhand sites for something interesting that fit my bill ( 2 doors, 200+ hp and manual ) Not much selection even if you budget up to 4mil. Thais just want autos it seems. Anyhow I ended up with a 225hp TT Quattro. It was very low mileage and in great condition. I had it chipped and added new Bilsteins and poly bushes. It's good fun and not bad value for Thailand. Will be looking to trade it in next year. Scirocco looks good but would have less performance than my TT unless I chip it. Other option is to save and go for secondhand Porsche Cayman with DSG which is another jump in price even for a 2008/9. There really isn't much choice for a decent sports car here. Unless you count four door sports saloons like 320d.. but then it's back to auto again sad.png

It's hard to beat the MB for brand recognition and a long pedigree of better than average quality.

But with VW backing the Skoda is a fine car with solid engineering behind it.

My guess is you need to test drive both to see which one is for you.

• Like 1