upgrading 3BB ethernet to wireless?

pilm

We have the 3BB 10 mb 590b package. It cost 800b to set up.

I want to add a wireless option to it. The wife dealt with everything and said they said I could buy a card or something in the future to go into the router to make it wireless.

Anyone ever done it?

Thanks.

You want your 3bb at home to provide wifi around the home? If they didn't provide a router that has wireless you can buy, own, and connect it to the 3bb. Normally adding a card means going 3g but you don't want that at home it cost ten times more for the same volume of traffic. Many have both and use the home wifi at home and use a limited amount of the 3g away from home. This is assuming you have a laptop or netbook. You may need to supply more informationn about what equipment and devices you have to know forsure what your wanting or able to do.

Just buy a small wireless dongle that fits into USB drive

on your computer, cheap as chips, and up and running

in a few minutes,no need to mess about with router.

regards Worgeordie

"I want to add a wireless option to it" (has 3bb) I think OP just wants wifi on LAN but not completely sure as they mention card and not router. Might also mean making a PC wireless with wifi card - can't be to sure from the info provided.

^ I think that's correct actually.

I cannot see any cardslot or similar.

This is it:

9cqa.jpg

nkoz.jpg

Yellow cable goes to the PC.

As it stands, my built-up PC currently has no wireless adapter or whatever to pick up wireless. It would be for my Galaxy Tab.

Edited by pilm

I replaced the standard wired 3BB router with a Cisco/Linksys wireless router one as our entire house is wireless. The Linksys router also has 4 standard network ports if needed. I just recently bought two D-Link DWA-123 USB wireless adapters to add to a couple of new computers for 285 Baht at Invadeit.com and they work brilliantly. This is our house wifi, router is on the 2nd floor corner near the balcony. Covers every room except a bit weak in the far back kitchen. 2 stories, 4 bed rooms.

post-566-0-05124500-1379388349_thumb.jpg

^ So I can just replace the 3BB Router, with one that will give off a wifi signal as well as have the LAN to the PC?? The router won't have to be one from 3BB?

If so, that is fantastic.

What do I then need to do to set up the wifi signal once I have connected a new router that gives off a wifi signal? (eg. name: pilm password: 12345) so my tablet will pick it up and I can sign in to it?

Edited by pilm

^ So I can just replace the 3BB Router, with one that will give off a wifi signal as well as have the LAN to the PC?? The router won't have to be one from 3BB?

If so, that is fantastic.

What do I then need to do to set up the wifi signal once I have connected a new router that gives off a wifi signal? (eg. name: pilm password: 12345) so my tablet will pick it up and I can sign in to it?

The WiFi-Router doesn't have to be 3BB's but it may be the most cost effective option. I just don't know how good their wifi signal coverage is though as it is a cheap unit. Also, don't know if it supports N protocol which is faster and supports greater distances.

Setting it up you just need to connect to one of the network ports on the router to your computer with a standard ethernet cable. Then you use a web browser to connect to the router, usually 192.1.1.1 or 192.168.1.1 or similar depending on brand, the manual will explain it. Then you can set up the security (WPA-2 recommended) and the wifi access password that will be used by your other devices and the SSID (router name you want to use). The other thing is that the WAN side, that is the ADSL or cable side that goes to 3BB needs to be setup with your 3BB account information - account number/password and a couple of configuration options such as PPPoE numbers. Should have that on a document/contract supplied by 3BB. In my case I just connected to the standard 3BB router and copied the information down before switching modems.

If you use 3BB and they come out, they will set it all up. Here is some example of setting up - http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=2210

• Like 1