Safe-crackers fail to crack Phuket gold shop safes

webfact

Safe-crackers fail to crack Phuket gold shop safes
Eakkapop Thongtub

1379324250_1.jpg
The safe was scarred but did not give under the burglers’ assault.

PHUKET: -- Police were called to a gold shop in Patong yesterday morning (September 15) after thieves tried, but failed, to break open a safe in a gold shop.

Officers were alerted by one of the shop’s Bangkok-based owners, Nuchchapa Jessadarak, 49, who told them there were signs of a break-in at the shop in Sainamyen Rd. They arrived to find four of the staff waiting for them in the building.

In the back, they could see that the would-be safe crackers had broken through the roof into the strong room where three safes stood inside a cages of metal bars.

The lock of the cage had been cut and the burglars had tried to cut open one of the safes with an oxy-acetylene cutter.

They failed, and left the shop, leaving behind the remains of the ceiling, the cutter, two gas tanks a large adjustable wrench, a pry bar and a cleaver.

The burglars also cut power to the shop in order to disable the security cameras before they started work.

Police gathered evidence such as fingerprints and said they will also check air conditioning engineers and telephone land-line service providers to see whether any of their staff might have been involved.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/safe-crackers-fail-to-crack-phuket-gold-shop-safes-41927.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-09-16

The doors are often double or triple layered so not easy to cut through with oxy/act you would have to cut each layer to allow you to get to the inside layer can be done but a lot of work i would also think that some safes are alloy these day's making it even harder to cut with oxy/act.

Back to the drawing board.

take the safes to a private location and take your time, not hard, same as cash machine's

I installed a safe on the 2nd storey of my house while it was under construction. Looking at the photo above of those 2 safes I guess the size of my safe is similar in width & depth but only a third of the height. It weighs 400KG and because of it's relatively small size even 6 strong men cannot get enough purchase to carry it. To get it on the back of a pick-up truck we had to borrow an engine hoist from the local garage. Then to get it installed at the new place we had to hire a crane to lift it from the driveway to it's new place on the 2nd floor.

It might not be impossible to steal but pretty close to it.

take the safes to a private location and take your time, not hard, same as cash machine's

I installed a safe on the 2nd storey of my house while it was under construction. Looking at the photo above of those 2 safes I guess the size of my safe is similar in width & depth but only a third of the height. It weighs 400KG and because of it's relatively small size even 6 strong men cannot get enough purchase to carry it. To get it on the back of a pick-up truck we had to borrow an engine hoist from the local garage. Then to get it installed at the new place we had to hire a crane to lift it from the driveway to it's new place on the 2nd floor.

There must be hundreds of people who now know you have a large safe in your home and, to most people, a large safe means a large amount of cash or gold inside.

The easiest way to get into a safe is to find the person with the key and put a gun to his head (or to his family).

Yep. There was a notable instance of this years ago in PTY. Go-go owner was forced to open his home safe at knifepoint. Thieves got away w/ 2 million baht.

I hope you paid particular attention when the rebar was installed in the part of the ceiling where the safe sits. Might be time to check the location of your favourite armchair? whistling.gif

hi, my friends and I would like to know you adress, and your safe model, and when you will get for a weekend trip or vacation? giggle.gifgiggle.gif

Edited by SiggiCM

There must be hundreds of people who now know you have a large safe in your home and, to most people, a large safe means a large amount of cash or gold inside.

The easiest way to get into a safe is to find the person with the key and put a gun to his head (or to his family).

I hope you have taken some serious precautions against this type of scenario.

(not criticising, just commenting).

That's a valid point and is something I gave considerable thought to. In the end it was still the best alternative. I mainly need the safe for documents that I used to keep in a bank safebox. The problem with that is I need regular access to those docs and going to the bank twice each time I need them isn't practical. A smaller safe can be carried away.

My mother-in law had an electrical fire start in her bedroom during the daytime. Even years later the family are still dealing with some of the documents that went up in smoke and the firemen stole her jewellery, something that isn't uncommon in Thailand. A decent safe would have prevented that.

I hope you paid particular attention when the rebar was installed in the part of the ceiling where the safe sits. Might be time to check the location of your favourite armchair? whistling.gif

Yes, the engineer that did the plans chose the location and then cabinets were constructed around that