1 Night in Krabi - intinerary - where?

corkman

All

I plan on a short break in Krabi. Catch the early flight down, stay over night, and late afternoon flight back to bkk the next day.

The plan is to get some general R&R, maybe take in some of the local signature landscape scenery and sights, nice relaxed dinner in the evening and a few drinks at some beach bar or similar.... Next day chill out for the morning and nice lunch, then off.

Please can you recommend an area that I should head to? Proximity to Krabi airport is an obvious advantage, but I'm not afraid of a short journey either.

Many thanks in advance.

Thank you for the constructive replies.

I've booked Ao Nang (from what I can gather, central area in Au Nang Villa Resort).

So, now I am staying two(2) nights:

Day 1 - get in before lunch. After checking in quickly, I'd like to do something in the afternoon.

Day 2 - free all day. Happy to do an "all day tour" somewhere, or do a morning trip and afternoon trip. Any recommendations?

Day 3 - leave in the morning.

I'm going to check out car hire - is that really worthwhile for 2 days? I had envisaged being on boats, rather than on the road..... but I'm open to your greater wisdom.

I've booked Ao Nang (from what I can gather, central area in Au Nang Villa Resort).

Day 1 - get in before lunch. After checking in quickly, I'd like to do something in the afternoon.

Day 2 - free all day. Happy to do an "all day tour" somewhere, or do a morning trip and afternoon trip. Any recommendations?

I'm going to check out car hire - is that really worthwhile for 2 days? I had envisaged being on boats, rather than on the road..... but I'm open to your greater wisdom.

Day 1, head over to Railei, be aware there is a scam, the boat guys if you don't get the boat back before they shut down will then extort large amounts of bahts from you for the lift. Get the RT ticket at the booth.

Day 2, Krabi town. Take a cave tour boat on the river, check out the temple where you have to take a bunch of stairs up, late lunch on the riverside seafood restaurants, get backto Ao Nang for a big beer out of the 7/11, consume on the wall at sunset. Do the buffet at........is it Bernie's, anyway, good deal all you can eat. Walk across to RCA and check the local talent.

• 1 month later...

Day 1, head over to Railei, be aware there is a scam, the boat guys if you don't get the boat back before they shut down will then extort large amounts of bahts from you for the lift. Get the RT ticket at the booth.

Day 2, Krabi town. Take a cave tour boat on the river, check out the temple where you have to take a bunch of stairs up, late lunch on the riverside seafood restaurants, get backto Ao Nang for a big beer out of the 7/11, consume on the wall at sunset. Do the buffet at........is it Bernie's, anyway, good deal all you can eat. Walk across to RCA and check the local talent.

I'll say thank you for that, being as how I am here on Railay for another couple days before moving on somewhere else in the province, looking for priorities.

Mind you, TW and eldest daughter mights as well be in a hotel in the middle of an industrial estate (as long as it has a facebook connection). My four year old is making me tour every swimming pool and every beach in the vicinity so at least she and I are up for a holiday. Know what you mean about getting a big beer from 711; it's 130 baht for a big Singh and no Leos in sight in the minimarts on the "island".

Mustn't complain though, the location is breathtaking, Railay Bay Resort is still half price (and breakfast is lasting me all day!) and well worth splashing out a bit on and the sun is mostly shining.

Maybe family won't notice I'm gone if I longtail it over to RCA this evening?smile.png P'raps not a good idea.

Edited by SantiSuk

Consider heading for Koh Lanta.

Kantiang Bay is pretty cool, and there are a few resorts there with hookups for the fam.

Otherwise, I like Khlong Dao Beach, it's about a 3km beach, excellent for sunset walks and you're spitting distance to Saladan Town where there are seafood restaurants right on the water. Built on rickety wood so as you are eating you're rocking with the tides.

Rocking with the tides in Koh Lanta..........

Ao Nang is much nicer than Patong. They aren't that much alike at all and certainly not a tourist hellhole.

??????

So the triple priced food in the restaurants is not "touristy" eh?

Burger King on the beach road, yes, surely aimed at the Thais as well as Hagen Daz, because so many Thais like their 200thb scoop of ice cream, not the tourists.

The katoeys, offering their massage services middle of the beach road, not Patong like? Nor RCA? How about the parking situation (?), actually Patong now has Ao Nang beat there.

The only thing nicer is that it's smaller.

There's plenty of local food. We were eating it every day. I would say I was paying about 200b a day on actual food (in addition to extras from 7-11). You don't have to eat the tourist stuff.

There are a couple of massage places and a couple of tailors, but it's not the constant grinding harassment you get in Patong. In the few days I was there, the only real annoyance was the long tailed boat driver being too lazy to moor next to a jetty and making us scramble over a load of rocks to get back to the road. Other than that I really enjoyed it.

There's plenty of local food. We were eating it every day. I would say I was paying about 200b a day on actual food (in addition to extras from 7-11). You don't have to eat the tourist stuff.

There are a couple of massage places and a couple of tailors, but it's not the constant grinding harassment you get in Patong. In the few days I was there, the only real annoyance was the long tailed boat driver being too lazy to moor next to a jetty and making us scramble over a load of rocks to get back to the road. Other than that I really enjoyed it.

Happy you enjoyed Ao Nang. Sure, as a tourist destination it is what it is.

As the original post was 1 night in Krabi, I believe the choice is Ao Nang (I'm including Hat Napparat and Khlong Muang there) or Krabi Town as other-wise you are too far from the airport.

If you want a beachy sunset in that time frame you are in tourist-land (o.k., maybe "hellhole' was over the top), Ao Nang and surrounds, if you want a little more Thai style, Krabi Town.