Omega-3 fish oil

Mekong Bob

In response to the above post, www.iherb.com has an arrangement with Thai Post and customs. No duty is charged. They just don't want people trying to buy in large quantities and re-sell them in Thailand. They have an account with Thai Post. The postage labels are actually affixed at Lak Si Mail Center in Thailand and not in the USA which is an unusual arrangement.

I forgot to mention that if you enter gift code GEV414, on www.iherb.com you can get as much as US $10.00 off your order.

does iherb have high-quality fish oil with high DHA and high EPA? price?

from iherb, this one (attached photo) is described as "pharmaceutical grade," but only 200mg of DHA.

It has 400 EPA but does not give the prescribed amount to take in a day also I noticed it is made from anchovy and Sardine or Mackerel oil would this make a difference?

Seems to me that most of their products had 200 or less of the DHA except the cod liver oil a teaspoon a day.

I was talking to my doctor about it and she said it was really good for me. The only problem she said is that here in Chiang Mai there is only one brand worth using. I did buy one bottle of it but it is way to expensive 1,500 baht for a two week supply. Kind of hard to figure out which brand is the best. I got a purchase last month from iHerb in the states. I did not get any Omega 3 from them but am planing on getting it and another item. Problem is which is good and which is not. They claim all their stuff is high Quality but they have prices all over the place.

And what brand is it that is worth using? Where to buy?

If you use fish oil for arthritis, triglyceride, etc. problems, the recommended DAILY dosage of Omega-3 fatty oils (EPA and DHA) is 3000mg.

If you use "quality" fish oil, that's no more than 4 softgel capsules per day. If you use locally-available brands (PharmaNord, Blackmores, Mega, etc.), you will need to gulp down 10 softgels a day to meet your daily requirement !!!

To identify quality Omega-3 fish oil, you start by reading the label. Most reputable pharmaceutical companies purify their fish oil to remove harmful contaminants (mercury, etc.), but the key factor is how much beneficial EPA and DHA is concentrated in each softgel, not in each dosage. The other "fish oils" are junk - used as fillers. The 1000mg Mega softgel, for example, contains 120mg DHA and 180mg EPA (only) and that's why it is about 3 baht per softgel. You'll need 10 of these each day.

Chiang Mai Ram Hospital's Pharmacy has Lovaza Omega-3 fish oil, 1000mg (1 gram) softgels. 380mg DHA, 470mg EPA. That's 850mg of Omega-3 in each softgel, and that's a high-quality, highly-concentrated formula. A 100-count bottle costs 1,300 baht. (in the USA and Canada, these same Lovaza softgels sell for about $1.20 (40 baht) each on the open market.

Please tell us the brand that your Thai doctor recommended.

Sorry I can't remember the name of them. My Doctor Doc Martin recommended them to me as the best in Chiang Mai. I purchased them at the pharmacy in Airport Mall on the ground floor to the left after you come off the down escalator. 1,500 baht for a 2 week supply. I am sure they have nothing else in that price range. I have an appointment coming up with her and I will ask the name then. At the moment I am studying up on fish oil.

I have one marketed by PML PHAMAECEUTALS out of Bangkok there is only 60 capsules in the bottler and take one a day. It has 200mg DHA and 300mg EPA per capsule. I purchased it at the drug store kitty corner from the 7 11 and down about 50 feet in the Warhart market. I believe I paid around 300 baht.

In response to the above post, www.iherb.com has an arrangement with Thai Post and customs. No duty is charged. They just don't want people trying to buy in large quantities and re-sell them in Thailand. They have an account with Thai Post. The postage labels are actually affixed at Lak Si Mail Center in Thailand and not in the USA which is an unusual arrangement.

I forgot to mention that if you enter gift code GEV414, on www.iherb.com you can get as much as US $10.00 off your order.

from iherb, this one (attached photo) is described as "pharmaceutical grade," but only 200mg of DHA.

I'm sure that is the brand I have downstairs. Great company. I just made another order for a few things. I had selected the items a few days ago then got busy and didn't check out so the items remained in "my shopping cart". Yesterday they sent me an email reminder but included a bonus - if I completed my order and paid within 24 hours I could take US $10.00 off the order and get free shipping as well. This on top of the already discounted prices. I love this company.

Regarding to fish oil your best bet is a pharmacy. Walk into any as it does not make a difference which one you buy at. They are in constant competition with each other so they always change the prices a bit, usually by a few baht. You are going to find the usual thai brands like Megacare or imported stuff. There is no point to pay more for the imported stuff as the selling of these supplements are strictly regulated so you are going to get FDA approved clean stuff anyway. I use Megacare and its good. The DHA and EPA content is a bit lower than you suggested but you are going to find the same with other brands as well. Just pop two instead of one and the problem is solved. It's not going to cost more if you take more from those lower in the before mentioned content as the others that are higher in DHA and EPA are more expensive.

The pharmacy next to Starbucks at Thapae gate is a good one. They store all kinds of things and they usually have promotions.

Sent from one of my devices using the internet

Regarding to fish oil your best bet is a pharmacy. Walk into any as it does not make a difference which one you buy at. They are in constant competition with each other so they always change the prices a bit, usually by a few baht. You are going to find the usual thai brands like Megacare or imported stuff. There is no point to pay more for the imported stuff as the selling of these supplements are strictly regulated so you are going to get FDA approved clean stuff anyway. I use Megacare and its good. The DHA and EPA content is a bit lower than you suggested but you are going to find the same with other brands as well. Just pop two instead of one and the problem is solved. It's not going to cost more if you take more from those lower in the before mentioned content as the others that are higher in DHA and EPA are more expensive.

The pharmacy next to Starbucks at Thapae gate is a good one. They store all kinds of things and they usually have promotions.

okay, so just take 10 capsules a day, instead of four. Problem solved. It's all good stuff.

okay, so just take 10 capsules a day, instead of four.  Problem solved.  It's all good stuff.

Nobody is talking about 10 capsules a day but we appreciate the smart input.

okay, so just take 10 capsules a day, instead of four. Problem solved. It's all good stuff.

Why not just take a whole bottle's worth every day? You'll have DHA and EPA coming out of your earssmile.png

You may need as much as 3000mg of Omega-3 (DHA and EPA) each day, particularly if you want to maintain good triglyceride levels. Depending upon which Omega-3 product you choose, you may indeed need to swallow ten 1000mg softgels (or twenty 500mg softgels!) to reach your daily requirement.

This is my simple math analysis, but perhaps your doctor can offer you other alternatives.

It's perhaps worth scanning the following link to read up on risks and dosage of fish oil supplements, if that link doesn't suit there's a bunch more out there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oil

The key point for me, being diabetic, is that fish oil supplements are proven to raise blood glucose levels hence for me it's a non-starter, for others though it's a viable alternative, subject to the other risks.

It's perhaps worth scanning the following link to read up on risks and dosage of fish oil supplements, if that link doesn't suit there's a bunch more out there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oil

The key point for me, being diabetic, is that fish oil supplements are proven to raise blood glucose levels hence for me it's a non-starter, for others though it's a viable alternative, subject to the other risks.

good info on Wikipedia, and good point about blood glucose levels too!

Have a look at Healthspan website in UK-Guernsey so no Sales tax etc.

Imho, a very good company with good product info, variety,quality and prices. And ship at low cost (takes 14 days) and no duty paid by me -yet

.I am not an 'advocate' for them other than as a customer of 15 years. Have tried many others but keep returning to Healthspan. Their prices for 1 years supply for most things seem to be about the same as people pay here in CM for 1 month. I tried Green Pharmacy in KSK (recommended above) for Vitamin B12 last month and the cost was very, very high. So back to Healthspan for me.

You may need as much as 3000mg of Omega-3 (DHA and EPA) each day, particularly if you want to maintain good triglyceride levels. Depending upon which Omega-3 product you choose, you may indeed need to swallow ten 1000mg softgels (or twenty 500mg softgels!) to reach your daily requirement.

This is my simple math analysis, but perhaps your doctor can offer you other alternatives.

OK it is not my thing but if that many are needed why is there not stronger pills put out?

iHerb has a broad selection, generally good prices and their website is easily accessible so you will probably find what you want if you check it out.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

Great discussion of fish oils.

Our company is a TV sponsor and import high quality Omega 3 from Reflex in the UK.

760 baht for 90 1000mg caps and that includes delivery to your home anywhere in Thailand.

All products are Thai FDA approved.

More details are on our site. http://www.thaisupplements.com/reflex/omega3

Thanks.

Vaughan

Hi there,

Great discussion of fish oils.

Our company is a TV sponsor and import high quality Omega 3 from Reflex in the UK.

760 baht for 90 1000mg caps and that includes delivery to your home anywhere in Thailand.

All products are Thai FDA approved.

More details are on our site. http://www.thaisupplements.com/reflex/omega3

Thanks.

Vaughan

Forgot to provide important details:

330mg of EPA and 220mg of DHA per capsule