GMMZ questions - Please check here first

astral

• 6 months later...

I've been to a couple of GMM dealers and told them I want to have a single dish and two access points operating at the same time and each of them has said it requires two heads with the price almost doubling.

The coax is already in place.

According to the GMM the signal can be split at the head and two boxes running at the same time. The dealers say it can't.

Not interested in the HD stuff, so the Bt600 boxes will probably be fine. Though we'll be taking a one year platinum package.

So is it the GMM brochure showing a multiswitch out to 4 points wrong or are the dealers just full of somtam?

Meant to add. I can't help feeling they are losing a lot of business to True purely because of their zero English skills promotion material.

I've been to a couple of GMM dealers and told them I want to have a single dish and two access points operating at the same time and each of them has said it requires two heads with the price almost doubling.

The coax is already in place.

According to the GMM the signal can be split at the head and two boxes running at the same time. The dealers say it can't.

Not interested in the HD stuff, so the Bt600 boxes will probably be fine. Though we'll be taking a one year platinum package.

So is it the GMM brochure showing a multiswitch out to 4 points wrong or are the dealers just full of somtam?

Meant to add. I can't help feeling they are losing a lot of business to True purely because of their zero English skills promotion material.

This question probably should have been stated in a NEW THREAD.

To respond to your question, yes a 'splitter' can be used to feed two boxes of one LNB feed but with issues. Transponder polarization becomes the problem.

A single-feed LNB (Low Noise Block) downconverter can receive all the transponders at once, but there are actually two simultaneous signal feeds (one Horizontal Polarization, one Vertical Polarization) and the single-feed LNB and DBS sat box can only receive one BLOCK of transponder transmission at a time (either H or V).

The DBS sat box controls what H/V feed to tune by sending either a 13v or 18v signal up the coax cable to the LNB to select H or V polarized signal feed. Two DBS boxes can cause the LNB to always be 18v, rendering the other box is incapable of receiving the 13v polarized channel feed, or if both boxes are sending 13v then one box channel surfing will cause the other box to lose signal as the LNB is controlled to bop between the H and V polarized signal feeds.

To get around this issue, you can purchase a DUAL FEED LNB. This can be used stand-alone to feed two separate DBS boxes, or used with DiSEqC Switches and Splitters (located near the Sat Dish) that can force one of the Dual LNB Feeds to always be Horizontal and the other LNB FEED to always be Vertical and allowing multiple DBS sat box(es) to independently tune feed polarizations or even other satellites over a single cable connection.

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks very much. I guess a Dual Feed LNB is what the local shops are talking about when they say two heads. Just about doubles, or in some cases does double, the cost of the installation though to about Bt5,000.

So it would basically be a separate cable from each head to each box?

Thanks very much

It should only double the LNB cost - same antenna dish and cable/boxs required. Suspect your double price includes LNB/cable/box as going from one point of service to two. In that case would cost almost double. Yes it will be two cables - if only two points of service directly run but if more are ever needed the two can be combined and then split into more runs.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Somebody pinned this topic for Q & A related to GMM tv but I see nothing posted here that shows current links to any useful info about the status of GMM.

I spent some time yesterday Googling for info but I just got frustrated with what is not there.

Do they still offer the white HD box with the Gold package or something similar?

I believe that the latest changes mean the 2 year old HD box I have will no longer receive the pay channels.

Does someone have a link to the current packages and a channel list?

• 5 weeks later...

No they do not offer any pay service and turned over those already paid to CTH which is another story in itself (they immediately pulled C band and now Ku band from ThaiSat so new signal source is required for anything).

The GMM box can still be used for free to air stations - but find the PSI version a better choice for C-band.

Archived