GMM Z hd box

kevc

Thinking of buying the GMM Z hd box with the platinum package, We have just the free Thai channels via thaicom with a 1.5 metre mesh dish, does anyone have this already and is it a good service. Thought also by using the C band bigger dish we wouldn't get rain fade as we did when we had UBC.

Any help gratefully accepted.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GMM Z tuners will work with either C or Ku band antennas (but more free to air channels on C band). Installed last week and first position of antenna was partially blocked by next house but that seems to have been solved and had heavy rain this weekend with no trouble seen so it does seem to be good for rain (only a 1.5 meter dish). I am not using HD now as no need for the pay service and the picture is so much better than previous cable service it is like have HD with just the real SD.

Thanks Lopburi that's all I needed to know in Bangkok now and can get the hd box with gold package for 2,500 baht for 365 days for my 51 inch in the living room and one free tv box for 500 for the bedroom for the missus, was just a bit concerned about the quality.

I would suggest you spend an extra 500 baht (about 990 baht) for the Smart box as with that you wife will have Nat Geo Wild and several other GMM stations. The mini box at 500 baht does not tune them. If you intend to pay for the Platinum package I would buy just the HD receiver at 1,850 baht - if you can live without the extra stations then the combined deal is good.

http://9sat.com/product/product.detail.php?&cat=53&id=1652

If you install the GMM box using "C" band rather than "KU' band you will not have a rain fade problem with the 1.5 meter dish. KU band is more susceptible to rain than C band and you will have rain fade problems with ku band no mater how big the dish albeit lessened by a larger size dish than the normal ku band dish.

I have both and when the ku band is off - true visions - the c band is never off - GMM., although I prefer the channel selection on True vs the selection on GMM.

the gmm z platinum package shows star sports, fox sports and fox sports plus hd. Can anyone confirm they show f1, preferably in HD.

that would be the sole reason i would "invest".

It would seem it does. Platinum for that sole reason is a remarkable savings over what it would cost to watch f1 on true.

im in, just soeey if igured it out at the end of the season, but excellent news for next year.

otherwise the HD offering is pretty slim though

As for the rest, i truly could not care less.

the gmm z platinum package shows star sports, fox sports and fox sports plus hd. Can anyone confirm they show f1, preferably in HD.

that would be the sole reason i would "invest".

It would seem it does. Platinum for that sole reason is a remarkable savings over what it would cost to watch f1 on true.

Sorry can't confirm it, but agree that it looks like it will have it - I think I've seen trailers for it. Should be available in HD if you have the HD box. Seems a bit too good to be true though - maybe the ad-breaks will go on forever - will find out on the weekend...

im in, just soeey if igured it out at the end of the season, but excellent news for next year.

otherwise the HD offering is pretty slim though

As for the rest, i truly could not care less.

Quite - 5k baht for 12 months vs 17k for 13 months on True. And I can now reorder my channels too..

Just read something about only being able to view the hd channels via Ku-Band and that C band does not receive them anyone know anything about this.

I asked thet on forum when thinking about HD but decided was not worth it at this time as not a sports fanatic and to me normal SD is so much better than US transmissions that it is already HD. Never seemed to get an answer but from advertising of the HD receiver they point out it can be used on both systems so suspect they may have the channels in C band also. Have also seen reports that for anything larger than 42" the C band signal is recommended. But would suggest you call them to be sure or check in a store if HD is what you need. You could manually switch between antennas as a last resort.

Just read something about only being able to view the hd channels via Ku-Band and that C band does not receive them anyone know anything about this.

I asked thet on forum when thinking about HD but decided was not worth it at this time as not a sports fanatic and to me normal SD is so much better than US transmissions that it is already HD. Never seemed to get an answer but from advertising of the HD receiver they point out it can be used on both systems so suspect they may have the channels in C band also. Have also seen reports that for anything larger than 42" the C band signal is recommended. But would suggest you call them to be sure or check in a store if HD is what you need. You could manually switch between antennas as a last resort.

Thanks so at least if I can't get them in hd I'll be able to get them in sd, wanted the hd box so I can connect through the HDMI socket on the tv for the best quality.

Yes the box is a lot better - if only one point I would have bought but for five points and only one TV that can display 1080 and nothing larger than 32" was just not worth it. Can always buy later. Follow up if you can confirm HD reception.

Just an update away to buy my hd box tomorrow 2,500 baht from Banmosat but called GMM about upgrading to Platinum and they said when I set the box up call them to activate and I can then upgrade to Platinum. They send you an sms with a code then pay into 7/11 its an extra 300 baht per month but pay 900 for three months and get four.

I presume everyone has seen the page below, but posting it just in case.

The icons showing what you get seem about right, but the lists at the foot of the page are incomplete, e.g. on Platinum SD you get Nat Geo Wild which isn't listed there.

http://www.gmmz.tv/package.html

Nat Geo Wild SD is free to all now so not listed.

Ok had the GMM Z hd box for a few days now and very impressed with it just unplugged the free Thai tv and plugged in this one nothing else to do. I went for the upgrade to platinum the box comes with Gold package took the years upgrade cost an extra 2700 baht, you phone them and they send an sms then just go pay at the 7/11 by the time we got home it was running.

I had read that you only got the hd channels via Ku-Band but you can receive them on C band with the big black dish.

Very pleased with it at a total cost of 5200 baht including the box which by the way plug in a USB stick and you can record programme's a nice 12000 baht saving on Trues rain fading alternative.

Thanks for the confirmation - previously the HD channels were only on the Ku band of Thaicom 5 but it appears that Thaicom 6 is starting to be activated and GMM seems to be the first user and it is listed as Thaicom 6A on transponder 4040 in the C band at same position in sky.

• 3 weeks later...

I have access to the F1 races in SD and HD

The HD experience is sooooo much better

viewed on a 40" TV

Not LOS, I know and off topic a little, but worth the mention

TrueVisions has the F1 both SD and HD (with Sky Sports commentary team), and does a full 3-4 hour Monday afternoon replay (lead-up, main race and follow up programs), which is nice for those races that end up running early Monday morning for us - you just need to avoid the news on Monday morning :P

Anyways, it's over until March 2014 now :(

I have access to the F1 races in SD and HD

The HD experience is sooooo much better

viewed on a 40" TV

Not LOS, I know and off topic a little, but worth the mention

TrueVisions has the F1 both SD and HD (with Sky Sports commentary team), and does a full 3-4 hour Monday afternoon replay (lead-up, main race and follow up programs), which is nice for those races that end up running early Monday morning for us - you just need to avoid the news on Monday morning tongue.png

Anyways, it's over until March 2014 now sad.png

It's the same channels on both True and GMM as far as I know.

Ok had the GMM Z hd box for a few days now and very impressed with it just unplugged the free Thai tv and plugged in this one nothing else to do. I went for the upgrade to platinum the box comes with Gold package took the years upgrade cost an extra 2700 baht, you phone them and they send an sms then just go pay at the 7/11 by the time we got home it was running.

I had read that you only got the hd channels via Ku-Band but you can receive them on C band with the big black dish.

Very pleased with it at a total cost of 5200 baht including the box which by the way plug in a USB stick and you can record programme's a nice 12000 baht saving on Trues rain fading alternative.

kevc, if i understand you have the platinum pack active now? Can you confirm that you have the Fox News channel live from the US? Yes, I know, but I like O'Reilley and the others

• 4 weeks later...

Update here my neighbor just bought/installed the GMM HD box and C band dish yesterday and includes the 1 year Gold pack and free HD for I assume one month. Nice system and good picture. As I asked before and now I see that Fox News is on the Platinum channels and most likely will be blocked after the first month.

I am looking at getting the HD box as well but as I currently have a Truevisions ku dish already(not using now) I see that this HD box will tune in the GMM channels also but

Do I need to re-position the True ku dish dish or does it use the same position as True?

Archived