September 17, 201313 yr Does anyone have any knowledge, or dare I say experience, on this? A good friend racked up a sizeable debt on a Thai bank issued credit card. I mean substantial. A few million THB. Then he and his Thai wife left LOS to settle in his home country. Q - Will he/she/they experience problems on re-entry to Thailand, or is a 'civil' debt maintained quite seperately and would not affect immigration issues? Card issued by Thai bank, In name of farang. Thai wife supplementary card holder. Thanks!
September 18, 201313 yr Best is to come to an understanding with the bank. They might offer him a substansial reduction if he pays back in once. In case of debts, the court can be ask for an order that the person doesn't leave the country.
September 18, 201313 yr It is a civil debt but best to work something out with the bank I am divorced now and my wife ran up a debt and she was the primary card holder I was the secondary holder. Its been 5 years and I was not even aware she owed on the card I went to the bank to open an account and they asked me if I was the same I said Yes and I have had no problem with the bank at all Mind you its been 5 years so its an old dept. So I think you will not I have come and gone from Thailand several times without incident
September 18, 201313 yr I am no expert but sounds funny the credit card debt was several million baht unless they had the cards backed up with collateral. Are you sure it was more than a million? Not that it matters, I just find it hard to understand that large amount.
September 18, 201313 yr Best is to come to an understanding with the bank. They might offer him a substansial reduction if he pays back in once. In case of debts, the court can be ask for an order that the person doesn't leave the country. Is this a fact or are you just speculating? I do not know about Thailand but in most countries credit card debt is a civil matter, not a criminal one. The only order issued by the court would be one of contempt tocourt in case the bank sues and the defentant fails to appear. Generally, all the bank can do is seize and garnish. The defendant can just appear in courtand non-chalantly just adduce he has no money. Only case with criminal implications would be if the court finds that defendant incurred the debt with the intent to defraud, which puts the burden of proof on the State. I don't see why Thailand would be differentbut correct me if I am wrong
September 18, 201313 yr Will not affect immigration. Having unsecured loan defaults in Thailand is not against the law.
September 18, 201313 yr Unintentional?A civil debt,but if can be proved to be accrued by intent, then i should imagine it's awhole different ball game.
September 18, 201313 yr I find it hard to believe that a farang could have an unsecured credit card with such a limit. I once enquired about getting a Thai credit card from my bank (BKB) and they said I could as long as I lodged cash in a fixed term account equal to the size of my credit card limit. I politely refused as I could not see the sense in such an arrangement. I would not have a joint credit card with my wife because it would reach it's limit in no time!!
September 18, 201313 yr Best is to come to an understanding with the bank. They might offer him a substansial reduction if he pays back in once. In case of debts, the court can be ask for an order that the person doesn't leave the country. Is this a fact or are you just speculating? I do not know about Thailand but in most countries credit card debt is a civil matter, not a criminal one. The only order issued by the court would be one of contempt tocourt in case the bank sues and the defentant fails to appear. Generally, all the bank can do is seize and garnish. The defendant can just appear in courtand non-chalantly just adduce he has no money. Only case with criminal implications would be if the court finds that defendant incurred the debt with the intent to defraud, which puts the burden of proof on the State. I don't see why Thailand would be differentbut correct me if I am wrong Think you are spot on Braddockrd. A speculator. Bet any money you like the OP is from that Island just to the west of France. Have met so many guys from there who arrived here with the intention of retiring on their maxed out UK credit cards and having no intention of ever paying the money back. Maybe just checking to see if it's possible to do the same scam on the return journey.
September 18, 201313 yr Best is to come to an understanding with the bank. They might offer him a substansial reduction if he pays back in once. In case of debts, the court can be ask for an order that the person doesn't leave the country. Is this a fact or are you just speculating? I do not know about Thailand but in most countries credit card debt is a civil matter, not a criminal one. The only order issued by the court would be one of contempt tocourt in case the bank sues and the defentant fails to appear. Generally, all the bank can do is seize and garnish. The defendant can just appear in courtand non-chalantly just adduce he has no money. Only case with criminal implications would be if the court finds that defendant incurred the debt with the intent to defraud, which puts the burden of proof on the State. I don't see why Thailand would be differentbut correct me if I am wrong See for instance this case: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/628326-british-man-trapped-in-thailand-for-four-years-is-back-home/ True, it is in case of criminal damages but that claim only needs to be made and you can be trapped for years. In case of filing for bankruptcy, preventing someone to leave the country is often a measure a court can take, but I don't know about Thai law regarding this.
Create an account or sign in to comment