Residence Certificates..How Many "Originals"

Looking at required documents for various applications, it seems that a residence certificate is required in more than one instance. For example registering vehicles and obtaining driving licences.

Is it necessary to provide an original in each instance.? My first original was kept by the vehicle registrar.

Thank You

Residence certificates from immigration are written for a specific purpose and are only valid for 30 days. Meaning having copies would not work.

You could possibly get one from your embassy written for more than one reason and possibly a longer validity. But it is advisable to have them translated to Thai if buying a vehicle.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

You don't need them translated to Thai if buying a vehicle. I got mine from the British Consulate in English and the Thai motorbike shop took it no problem.

But they did keep the document (and that cost 2,000 baht or something), so it could definitely get an expensive business if you need residency certificates for several things.

You don't need them translated to Thai if buying a vehicle. I got mine from the British Consulate in English and the Thai motorbike shop took it no problem.

But they did keep the document (and that cost 2,000 baht or something), so it could definitely get an expensive business if you need residency certificates for several things.

It certainly does!

.....and don't forget you also need a reidence certificate when you are selling a car or bike too providing said vehicle is registered in your name. I understand the risk involved, but I now register vehicles in the wife's name, it's a lot simpler for transfers and does involve a long treck to immigration or lining their bulging pockets.

There are two instances that I'm aware of where you need two "residency certificates" at the same time.

1. Getting both a Car and Motorbike license requires two.

2. Trading in a bike for a new bike requires two. One for the new bike and one to transfer ownership of the old bike.

Whether or not you can get away with getting one original certificate and making a copy is going to be up to the driver's department or "Verification Center" for licenses and the bike shop when trading in a bike for a new bike. I think I've heard some people have gotten away with making a copy of one original and being OK. However, I don't feel like going all the way to immigration and getting one original, then trying to make a copy and then driving all the way to the Verification Center in Pattaya and being told "No, go get another original". It only cost 250B (price went up from 200B recently) for one more original.

Also, unless you are an amateur forger you can't make a copy look like an original. They place a color stamp half on and half off your picture. You can make a color copy and put a picture on, but half the stamp on your picture will be missing.

Edited by oneday

I have used a letter from my Embassy which included my address.

Redacted (blacking out non relevant information) copies have allowed me to use this letter for driving licences, car and bike purchase!

No problem !

edit

spelling !

Edited by Sceptict11

I had the same problem a few months back (and not the first time I've required the letter) but when I requested two letters from the Embassy of Canada (1500 baht each), the lady who was the notary was nice enough to provide the second letter as a "Certified True Copy of Original" at no extra cost, so just paid for the one letter. Thought that was rather nice of her:)

• Like 1

immigration in pattaya issue as many as you want to local residents for a contribution of 200 baht each

the licensing station who does transfers for me said they have a shelf life of 42 days

they also said if the residence certificate holder has a work permit, they last as long as the permit

I have used the same letter from consulate since 2006. In that time I have changed car about 5 times, so thats 10 uses as it's required for buying and selling, also I used it to register about 4 motorbikes.

They have always accepted a copy to keep provided I show them the original.

My understanding is that the letter from immigration is different and is a one time deal.