New Visa Rules From July Confirmed By Immigration

Thanks, huski! So they don't really care that it's a farang man or a woman who will marry Thai, humm? Sorry, but it's disturbing me. I think I don't need my farang wife to support me. Oh well, it seems like I cannot change the rules, can I?

If she became a Thai citizen, can she still be an American citizen like dual nationality? How long would it take to do that?

I will marry her before July 10 anyway. :o

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, huski! So they don't really care that it's a farang man or a woman who will marry Thai, humm? Sorry, but it's disturbing me. I think I don't need my farang wife to support me. Oh well, it seems like I cannot change the rules, can I?
ok, if you get married and she wants a one year extension based on a non immigrant O visa then one of you , currently needs to show 200k in a thai bank to show support for the other spouse.
Foreign women married to Thai men are currently allowed to seek Thai nationality without having to go through regular channels.

your advantage is that she can apply for thai citizenship very easily.

If she became a Thai citizen, can she still be an American citizen like dual nationality? How long would it take to do that?
that is what her goal should be, try and become a thai citizen as she will then never have to deal with visas. maybe SBK who is currently looking into this as she is married to a thai man can add some information or what stage of the process she is in.

getting off topic on this thread so click here...

Foreign husbands still tied in knots, Not easier to become thai citizen

can she still be an American citizen like dual nationality?

yes of course, my daughter was born in Thailand last year and automatically had dual citizenship at birth because i'm American and my wife is THAI. It was just a matter of registering her birth abroad with the US embassy and she received her US passport.

when your wife has both passports, just have her show the thai passport coming in and going out of thailand, and use the US passport in the US. perfectly legal. matter of fact legally anyone with a dual citizenship must ONLY use their US passport when entering the US.

All about transfering money info is interesting...

but how about this:

I am 36 years young (to young to be retired) and I can't open an bank account because I not hold the blue holly book (work permit or a NON IMMIGRANT VISA). Since I not want to fool the authorities by getting a NON-I Visa with business papers which promises me to work for them I look for a clean way to get an bank account. At the moment I bring EURO currency to thailand by cash. Does foreign currency get accepted as foreign brougt money (like TT from abroad)? and HOW can I open an bankaccount if it not get accepted, so that I can TRANSFER money from abroad without a work permit/NON I Visa in Thailand (because I not want/need to work in LOS)?

Thanx in advance

OhYeah

when your wife has both passports, just have her show the thai passport coming in and going out of thailand, and use the US passport in the US. perfectly legal. matter of fact legally anyone with a dual citizenship must ONLY use their US passport when entering the US.

I beg to differ. I just registered my daughter for an American passport and they gave me a slip of paper informing me that it is illegal for a US citizen to travel to the US on a passport issued from another country.

Additionally, the wife will have to apply for a visa to the US on a Thai passport. I suspect they will have a record of the applicant.

Please go the the US Embassy website to check the facts.

but how about this:

I am 36 years young (to young to be retired) and I can't open an bank account because I not hold the blue holly book (work permit or a NON IMMIGRANT VISA). Since I not want to fool the authorities by getting a NON-I Visa with business papers which promises me to work for them I look for a clean way to get an bank account. At the moment I bring EURO currency to thailand by cash. Does foreign currency get accepted as foreign brougt money (like TT from abroad)? and HOW can I open an bankaccount if it not get accepted, so that I can TRANSFER money from abroad without a work permit/NON I Visa in Thailand (because I not want/need to work in LOS)?

Thanx in advance

OhYeah

Try the Siam Commercial Bank for a savings account. They won't require a Work Permit. You can seek other Non-Immigrant visa's such as an O to study culture & Thai language. Be careful about how much cash you bring in to the Country without declaring it to Customs. There is no restriction on what you bring in, but amounts the equivalent of $US 10,000 should be declared so that the funds may be taken out again.

Wolf

Thanks for your reply.

My income does not come from abroad :o

My Thai Farmers passbooks shows the code TRN when these payments are made, going back a few years.

The same as when a mate transferred some money from the states last week!

Yes I could borrow the money no worries.

Hopefully save some by next year.

Anyone know about the TRN code?

Cheers

MRBC

Golf, yes, you are considered as supporting your wife, they don't care how much money she has as long as you have 200,000 baht in the bank, ours is in a joint account, but it is my Thai husband who must show the income, not me.

As for being easier to get citizenship, perhaps in bangkok! We go up about once a year, so Huski, at this point I am doing nothing, as nothing can be done where I live. If you live in Bangkok, apparently, they know how to do it there but it must be done in the province you live in. Our guys are clueless. Go figure.

Anyway, to apply for citizenship the farang wife must have the one year extension for 5 years (I think, around that anyway) and the husband must have shown he has paid taxes on 30,000 baht a month income for the past 3 years. Which, frankly, unless I can find some way around it, disqualifies us, as we have been declaring alot less than that. Our income is quite seasonal, so my husband has (in the inimitable Thai style) been declaring our income as the minimum required! He comes from a long tradition of avoiding the govt and its bureaucracies; most people where I live don't even bother registering their marriage at the amphur. My parents-in-law just registered their marriage about 3 years ago (oldest kid is now 45!) because they found out they could save alot of money on taxes. So, we shall see when we go to bangkok in a few months. Next income tax payment will be at the higher rate I guess unless I can find a way around it, so I guess I will have to wait 3 years to apply. Will try anyway, you never know, the rules are never enforced consistently in the provinces.

Golf, pm me if you have any further questions, but that should about cover it.

I beg to differ. I just registered my daughter for an American passport and they gave me a slip of paper informing me that it is illegal for a US citizen to travel to the US on a passport issued from another country.

Please read what you posted again. "it is illegal for a US citizen to travel to the US on a passport issued from another country". That means you use your US passport to enter the US. You do not use a foreign passport and you do not need a visa.

Hi Huski,

I bank with the Bangkok Bank and I make an international transfer from the UK every month. I believe you too and our differing experiences may be simply due to how you and I prove our financial circumstances when we apply for that 1-year extension. I have lived in Thailand continuously for 10 years now and, in my case, I have always used the monthly 'income' criteria and I have never made a straighforward cash deposit. I guess if I showed an appropriate balance held in my account then I wouldn't need confirmation of my regular international transfers.

I hope that I haven't confused the issue.

Cheers,

Artisan

but how about this:

I am 36 years young (to young to be retired) and I can't open  an bank account because I not hold the blue holly book (work permit or a NON IMMIGRANT VISA). Since I not want to fool the authorities by getting a NON-I Visa with business papers which promises me to work for them I look for a clean way to get an bank account. At the moment I bring EURO currency to thailand by cash. Does foreign currency get accepted as foreign brougt money (like TT from abroad)? and HOW can I open an bankaccount if it not get accepted, so that I can TRANSFER money from abroad without a work permit/NON I Visa in Thailand (because I not want/need to work in LOS)?

Thanx in advance

OhYeah

Try the Siam Commercial Bank for a savings account. They won't require a Work Permit. You can seek other Non-Immigrant visa's such as an O to study culture & Thai language. Be careful about how much cash you bring in to the Country without declaring it to Customs. There is no restriction on what you bring in, but amounts the equivalent of $US 10,000 should be declared so that the funds may be taken out again.

Thank you dr_Pat_Pong for your reply. I will try to apply for an bank account and if it fails, I will let you know.

thanx again

OhYeah

RETIREMENT EXTENSIONS:

No changes in the requirements or rules for NON-O Retirement visa extensions, the amount required is still 800,000 in Thai bank assets or a combination of savings and income of not less than 800,000 baht.

Is the required amount for new retirement visas still increasing in July?

Additionally, the wife will have to apply for a visa to the US on a Thai passport. I suspect they will have a record of the applicant.

hey thaksin, this guy's comment just proves that thailand is not drug free

My income does not come from abroad :o 

My Thai Farmers passbooks shows the code TRN when these payments are made, going back a few years.

The same as when a mate transferred some money from the states last week!

Anyone know about the TRN code?

I have money going into the bank, approx 50k per month from my work.
i am going to take a wild stab in the dark and say that TRN stands for TRanNsfer, even though it's not from abroad it is being transfered from your account consistantly from your work as you mentioned.
Every deposit into your Thai bank account will be given a code to indicate the source. Your bank account passbook will display this same code against each deposit. For instance, international transactions on your account will show FMT, FDD, FCH, or FTT

another stab in dark, i would say that artisan's codes with the F in front stands for FOREIGN, which would mean funds from abroad. maybe, again i'm guessing,

FMT foreign money transfer

FDD foreign direct deposit

FCH foreign check

FTT foreign ? transfer

it looks like different banks use different codes and artisan is right if the immigration officer are concerned with the funds orginating from abroad they must know all the codes after seeing zillions of applicants a year.

let me say something one more time, it is technically a requirement that your funds are shown as coming from abroad however, all mine have been only cash deposits and they seem to overlook that completely in bangkok.

Now my second post.

wpbr and myself now asking the same question.

What about retirement visas?

Is the requirement changing in July from the 800K/65K combination to something else or will it remain the same?

Will you have grandfather rights if you receive your retirement visa prior to July 2004 on any new requirements?

I have no Thai wife but I do have an 11 year old Thai daughter from a previous marriage that I have full custody of and have been supporting since birth. Will this qualify me for a Non-Immigrant "O" visa in order to obtain my retirement visa? I think it will. We own a home in Pattaya as backup.

Huski: FTT = "Foreign Telex Transfer" in the old terminology

monitorlizard: It is true your daughter must enter the U. S. on her U. S. passport but the American government doesn't care which passport she exits Thailand on as long as she presents her U. S. passport at U. S. Immigration. She has the option to maintain dual citizenship until she reaches 15 (I think) years of age but then, in theory, must choose one citizenship over another.

She has the option to maintain dual citizenship until she reaches 15 (I think) years of age but then, in theory, must choose one citizenship over another.

that's a wild one, where did you get that rumor from?

United States law does not contain any provisions requiring U.S. citizens who are born with dual citizenship or who acquire a second citizenship at an early age to choose one or the other when they become adults (Mandeli v. Acheson, 344 U.S. 133) (1952).

Huski:

You are absolutely, 100%, positively correct about this as it relates to United States law. Dual citizenship is possible under certain circumstances. I was told this by my Thai lawyer as it relates to her Thai citizenship a couple of years ago and even that might be incorrect. My post was misleading, improper, ill-thought out and poorly stated.

I stand corrected.

Now, can anybody answer my questions about retirement visas?

Now my second post.

wpbr and myself now asking the same question.

What about retirement visas?

Is the requirement changing in July from the 800K/65K combination to something else or will it remain the same?

Will you have grandfather rights if you receive your retirement visa prior to July 2004 on any new requirements?

I have no Thai wife but I do have an 11 year old Thai daughter from a previous marriage that I have full custody of and have been supporting since birth. Will this qualify me for a Non-Immigrant "O" visa in order to obtain my retirement visa? I think it will. We own a home in Pattaya as backup.

Huski: FTT = "Foreign Telex Transfer" in the old terminology

monitorlizard: It is true your daughter must enter the U. S. on her U. S. passport but the American government doesn't care which passport she exits Thailand on as long as she presents her U. S. passport at U. S. Immigration. She has the option to maintain dual citizenship until she reaches 15 (I think) years of age but then, in theory, must choose one citizenship over another.

chuckd, read the thread from the beginning, and I'm sure you have the questions answered in the very first post!

Hello SBK,

Thank you so much for your information. I think we will just go for an "O" visa for now. For her, becoming a Thai citizen is a long-await process :o .

I finally went to the Immigration office at Soi Suan Plu today with my girlfriend (she needed to extend her stay for 30 more days) and got more info from the officer herself. She said when a Thai man marry a farang woman, They donot require me or my farang girlfriend to show passbooks or any financial statements. According to her, Thai cultures and customs assume that a man is a supporter. So when we go to appy an "O-A" visa for her after we got married, I don't need to prove that I have 200k in my bank account. All we need to do is to show my Thai ID, her US passport, marriage certificate, and other documents. Wheww, that's such a relieve. :D

The immigration officers are very sweet and friendly. They were all have big smiles on their faces when I asked questions about marrying my girlfriend. Anyway, I did what most Thais did when they go to see an officer, smile and be friendly. So I think I am still good at it after spent years in the States.

Again, thank you very much, SBK. It will be my turn next time to help you.

George:

Thanks for your response. The original post in this thread addresses Retirement Visa Extensions but does not address any change that might occur on new retirement visa applications. I will be applying for a retirement visa soon, but if I cannot get back before the 10 July date, my question was: will the requirements be raised for new applications submitted after the drop dead date?

Since my other question concerned qualifying for a non-immigrant "O" by virtue of having a Thai dependent daughter vice a wife, my question was addressing new applications also.

My other question addressed grandfather rights on future retirement visa extensions, which was answered in your first post.

I'm just a poor old dumb country boy so type slowly as I can't read very fast.

The immigration officers are very sweet and friendly. They were all have big smiles on their faces when I asked questions about marrying my girlfriend. Anyway, I did what most Thais did when they go to see an officer, smile and be friendly. So I think I am still good at it after spent years in the States.

at bangkok, they are very nice and friendly women, if they see any BS i'm sure they could turn on someone like a junkyard dog. but i respect them as they are police officers, and deal with alot of people in one day yet remain polite everytime i've spoke to them.

George:

Thanks for your response. The original post in this thread addresses Retirement Visa Extensions but does not address any change that might occur on new retirement visa applications. I will be applying for a retirement visa soon, but if I cannot get back before the 10 July date, my question was: will the requirements be raised for new applications submitted after the drop dead date?

Since my other question concerned qualifying for a non-immigrant "O" by virtue of having a Thai dependent daughter vice a wife, my question was addressing new applications also.

My other question addressed grandfather rights on future retirement visa extensions, which was answered in your first post.

I'm just a poor old dumb country boy so type slowly as I can't read very fast.

The income / banking requirement increases to 400,000 baht for a support visa from July 2004

Hi Guys

Great board you guys run here; I am most impressed with the info and helpfulness.

My first post but have tried to read as much as I can on this topic.

I am an aussie married to a Thai girl. We got married here in Oz, so no Thai marriage certificate. I want to go and live in Thailand for a while but am too young to qualify for the retirement visa. Could somebody advise me on a few matters please:

1. Do I need a Thai Marriage certificate to qualify for the Non Immi "O" visa on the grounds of being married to thai woman?

2. If not, could I have the Aussie marriage certificate translated into Thai and apply in Oz for the Non Immi "O" visa, or should it be done in Thailand?

3. I am planning a short trip over in the next 2 months but my wife won't be acompanying me this time. Could I apply for this visa there without her or does one have to "show" the wife the first time you apply? (I understand she has to be there for subsequent renewals)

Cheers

ATM

golf, the non-O visa does not require bankbook/income info but the one year extension does. First, after you get married your wife will need to get a non-immigrant visa from an embassy outside Thailand. Then, after she re-enters Thailand you both need to go to Immigration with: copy of marriage license, copy of her visa, copy of all Thai stamped pages in her passport, copy of tax receipt (yours), and copy of bank book pages. We also submit a copy of my husband's business license. We have to make 2 copies, one for our local immigration and one to be sent to Bangkok. We have to resubmit these copies every year (what a pain!). She will also need two photos. And fill out the application for a one year extension. Do this asap because then you will only need to meet the 200,000 baht requirement. Good luck!

ATM: you can translate your Aussie marriage license into Thai and it is best to apply from within Oz, you cannot get a non-O visa in Thailand. Only the one year extensions are available from within Thailand. And for those you definitely need to "show" the wife. :o

Dr. Pat Pong:

Thank you for your answer regarding Support Visa requirements affective in July 2004.

Please forgive me for trying one last time on this.

1. What will be the banking/income requirement for NEW applications for RETIREMENT visas when the new rules take affect in July 2004?

2. Will I have trouble qualifying for a Non-Immigrant "O" visa at a Thai Embassy since I do not have a Thai wife? I do have a Thai daughter (age 11) that I have supported since birth and still support. She will live with me in our house in Pattaya when I retire. Will my daughter qualify me for the Non-Immigrant "O" visa required to obtain a Retirement Visa?

3. I can find nowhere on this thread where it addresses NEW applications for Retirement Visas. There are several references to RENEWALS but not new applications.

I am normally smarter than the average turnip so where am I going wrong here?

2.  Will I have trouble qualifying for a Non-Immigrant "O" visa at a Thai Embassy since I do not have a Thai wife?  I do have a Thai daughter (age 11) that I have supported since birth and still support.  She will live with me in our house in Pattaya when I retire.  Will my daughter qualify me for the Non-Immigrant "O" visa required to obtain a Retirement Visa?

3.  I can find nowhere on this thread where it addresses NEW applications for Retirement Visas.  There are several references to RENEWALS but not new applications.

Non-Immigrant Visa "O" Thailand info from thaivisa.com if you want to see the requirements for this type of visa.

a non immigrant O visa is for support, including a thai child. i have had friends get this visa with children that they can prove are their's, and without being married.

Retirement visa (O-A) Thailand info from thaivisa.com if you want to see the requirements for this type of visa.

Thanks for the reply re NEW retirement visas, Huski.

There was an announcement(?) rumour(?) that the bank balance requirement was going to increase from B800,000 to B1.2m as of July 1st 2004. That was late last year, but I have seen no follow uip.

Clearly one would apply for the visa a tad earlier should the this increase still be anticipated.

Does anyone have any more info?

Hi Guys

Great board you guys run here; I am most impressed with the info and helpfulness.

My first post but have tried to read as much as I can on this topic.

I am an aussie married to a Thai girl. We got married here in Oz, so no Thai marriage certificate. I want to go and live in Thailand for a while but am too young to qualify for the retirement visa. Could somebody advise me on a few matters please:

1. Do I need a Thai Marriage certificate to qualify for the Non Immi "O" visa on the grounds of being married to thai woman?

2. If not, could I have the Aussie marriage certificate translated into Thai and apply in Oz for the Non Immi "O" visa, or should it be done in Thailand?

3. I am planning a  short trip over in the next 2 months but my wife won't be acompanying me this time. Could I apply for this visa there without her or does one have to "show" the wife the first time you apply? (I understand she has to be there for subsequent renewals)

Cheers

ATM

You won't get the one year extension in Thailand without the wife. You will get the appropriate prerequisite visa with a copy of your Australian wedding papers. Go to

www.thaiconsulate.org.au

That'll solve your problem..The form is there as are instructions.