New Visa Rules From July Confirmed By Immigration

he can change his tourist visa to a Non-Immigrant O Visa at the Bangkok Immigration Offices and that Visa runs are not required. He was told this by an Immigration Official in Mae Sot.
This is being done recently in the case of retirement visas where the person has the required funds already in place. It is a normal extension of stay but they issue you the non immigrant visa here rather than your having to exit country and return. Visa runs are never required for extensions of stay (that is the big advantage of them). But for those unable to meet requirement for extension of stay the 'visa run' is still a fact of life.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you now trying to find a way to obtain a new multi entry O visa for a year without getting married?
No I'm not lopburi3.

I've the money in the bank and I want to marry my girl as soon as possible - I was merely curious to know what the situation was.

You make a highly relevant point when you say:

Same visa covers many things; that's why it is called "other".

I think its easy to overlook this - at the end of the day - a visa is a visa is a visa - its largely irrelevant what its called as long as does its job.

At: Retirement visa (O-A) Thailand

It says:

"Pensioners arriving before Oct 1998 with unbroken records while living here only need 200,000 baht in a Thai Bank when they apply for an extension."

I was here just before Oct 98 but the Regulations then were

Bht 200,000 if you were 60 years old or older.

Bht 500,000 if you were 55-59

I was 59, so I had to show 500,000 then - and

have done so without question eversince.

Does anybody KNOW if the CURRENT regulations are such that

I NOW only need to show Bht 200,000

or am I stuck with Bht 500,000 ...

I can qualify on the Income requirements.

Roger

Dr Pat, George anybody ...

Can you help me with the above?

Roger

You are grandfathered Roger....no change for you :o

Doc,

In my casr then the GrandFathering is a DISadvantage?

I am Stuck on Bht 500,000 ... ?

I had hoped that I might now qualify for Bht 200,000 ...

Roger

It is certainly worth pleading a case. Go on in and talk to 'em it might just get a nod, nothing is ever for absolute certain here Rog.

A few days ago I went to Report my Residence after 90 day stay

- done without hassle or question.

I then proceeded to the Ground Floor to plead my Case for Bht 200,000

rather than Bht 500,000 Bank Deposit.

The Lady Police Officer who has dealt with me several times in past years,

started by Checking my Pension - I noticed that she input a rate of £1=60Bht

into her calculator - "Excuse me Madam the exchange rate is Bht 70" I ventured.

She smiled and said "For Retirement, Immigration uses rate of Bht 60" (MEMBERS PLEASE NOTE)

"Anyway" she continues "you still have more than the monthly minimum

of Bht 68,000 ... so not to worry"

"And the Bank Deposit?" I ask

"Never mind she replies "You qualify on Income"

So Doc, thanks for encouraging me to go !

I do not need ANY Deposit - so all the Hassle with the Bank is over

- I hope - anyway I will be submitting my papers a few days before

my Visa Expires in June for my next Extension.

So the requirements DO appear to be as stated

Income Bht68,000 OR Bank Deposit OR Combination.

Roger

Roger13,

Good news indeed Roger .

My record is very similar to yours namely unbroken Visa since 1997 aged at that time 57, so it is good to know the requirements as I also will be visiting in June for my renewal.

One question for you did you ask about the need for a Medical Certificate as to date I have never supplied one and from reading the posts the certificate seems to be required only for persons who are on the 800,000 requirement.

Any views comments.

Many thanks.

Tony

"Never mind she replies "You qualify on Income"

Is this my dense day or have you gone from needing 500k per year to the new 800k per year? Not sure I would consider that an improvement. Or is it just that you want to use the income rather than a bank account. Anyhow, happy that you are happy. :o

Roger13,

Good news indeed Roger .

My record is very similar to yours namely unbroken Visa since 1997 aged at that time 57, so it is good to know the requirements as I also will be visiting in June for my renewal.

One question for you did you ask about the need for a Medical Certificate as to date I have never supplied one and from reading the posts the certificate seems to be required only for persons who are on the 800,000 requirement.

Any views comments.

Many thanks.

Tony

They are now asking for a medical certificate. It is simple and fast in Thailand, also cheap. Any decent hospital will do it and they know the Immigration Department requirements.

It says:

"Pensioners arriving before Oct 1998 with unbroken records while living here only need 200,000 baht in a Thai Bank when they apply for an extension."

Roger

Roger

Doc,

Roger

It is certainly worth pleading a case. Go on in and talk to 'em it might just get a nod, nothing is ever for absolute certain here Rog.

yes

It says:

Roger

Roger

Doc,

Roger

yes

Did you like the Geometrics Bronco ?

"Never mind" she replies "You qualify on Income"

Is this my dense day or have you gone from needing 500k per year to the new 800k per year? Not sure I would consider that an improvement. Or is it just that you want to use the income rather than a bank account. Anyhow, happy that you are happy. :o

Lop

As I understood what she said

I have gone from Bht500K to Nil

I will have to see if I understood

correctly when do my next extension.

Roger

Not wishing to change the path of this thread, a burning question still awaits an answer.

Q. A lot of people, including a friend of mine (who will not let it rest) exist here on the 30 day visa.

Changes to the re-entry status was threatened a while ago suggesting a 3 strike rule, having to stay out of thailand for two weeks following your third consecutive Poi-Pet visa run for instance.

Does anyone have any updated info on this situation.

One for you I feel dr Pat?????????

Not wishing to change the path of this thread, a burning question still awaits an answer.

Q. A lot of people, including a friend of mine (who will not let it rest) exist here on the 30 day visa.

Changes to the re-entry status was threatened a while ago suggesting a 3 strike rule, having to stay out of thailand for two weeks following your third consecutive Poi-Pet visa run for instance.

If your ' friend ' could read the posts on here, he'd see that people with consecutive REAL visa's are being refused additional Tourist Visa's by Thai Consulates and Embassies, he might just decide that his ilk are under threat. Meanwhile he " won't let it rest ", nor will the Thai Government I believe. The poverty packers contribute nothing. July was suggested by sources.

Thanks for that doc....and to lay waste to the stereotyping as an ilk of a 30day repeater who doesn't contribute...

This guy is a 37yr old retired CEO millionaire who spends about 300k a month here. The nearest he gets to a back-packer, is when he goes to the gym on a daily basis.

His chioce to use the 30 day system is frankly because the politics here makes anyones (farang) future here uncertain.

Your generalizing can be damaging to poster's and respondents in your position within the admin system, and should be a little unbiased.

Teach

Thanks for that doc....and to lay waste to the stereotyping as an ilk of a 30day repeater who doesn't contribute...

This guy is a 37yr old retired CEO millionaire who spends about 300k a month here. The nearest he gets to a back-packer, is when he goes to the gym on a daily basis.

His chioce to use the 30 day system is frankly because the politics here makes anyones (farang) future here uncertain.

Your generalizing can be damaging to poster's and respondents in your position within the admin system, and should be a little unbiased.

Teach

His future is far more uncertain living here the way he has chosen to do it. Have a good look at the walking class and tell me my generalizations aren't somewhat realistic. That certainly is the way the Government views them.

Certainly I would agree, the Thai's do view the walking class that way. But there's no need to join them.

Back-packers are stigmatized because people freely relinquish the option to think for themselves, choosing instead to follow the pack.

Generally back-packers are young people just out of Uni (exceptions accepted)experiencing other parts of the world prior to being bridled into the chain-gang of working life. Of course they have little money and so will seek all cheaper options, and yes they will have sampled drugs to some degree and casual sex and everything else that the rest of us did as well, are they any different.

Only to a closed mind and career bigots.

I personally do not subscribe to the Thai view that without the BMW your nothing. That is a shallow, asinine viewpoint that belongs only to wannabe middleclass frauds lacking in global education, who revel in the shortcomings of others not so fortunate. The old British 'Eton' system was full of those sycophantic types who felt they were better than everybody else just because of privalaged upbringing. To actively and consciously join these types is a sellout.

Teach

Certainly I would agree, the Thai's do view the walking class that way. But there's no need to join them.

Back-packers are stigmatized because people freely relinquish the option to think for themselves, choosing instead to follow the pack.

Generally back-packers are young people just out of Uni (exceptions accepted)experiencing other parts of the world prior to being bridled into the chain-gang of working life. Of course they have little money and so will seek all cheaper options, and yes they will have sampled drugs to some degree and casual sex and everything else that the rest of us did as well, are they any different.

Only to a closed mind and career bigots.

I personally do not subscribe to the Thai view that without the BMW your nothing. That is a shallow, asinine viewpoint that belongs only to wannabe middleclass frauds lacking in global education, who revel in the shortcomings of others not so fortunate. The old British 'Eton' system was full of those sycophantic types who felt they were better than everybody else just because of privalaged upbringing. To actively and consciously join these types is a sellout.

Teach

The backpackers are a different kettle of fish altogether. We are talking about the aged poverty packers seeking a frugal existence, but lacking the wherewithall to adequately provide for themselves when the need arises, and as you well know, there's no social assistance or safety net hereabouts. How do they afford the quad bypass or the nursing home ?

Well Dutch, he doesn't need my help but chose me as I've been here a lot longer than him, and he keeps a very select circle of friends here, none of which would fall under the group that the dr speaks of. As this is a forum for the gathering of unbiased accurate information, this seemed the obvious choice - sigh!

Even millionaire type ex CEO's need a little help now and then...that's what mates do.

Oh, and dr Pat, if I had the luxury to spend all day doing nothing but place posts ( in excess of 5000) I would have responded quicker.

Perhaps it's this very forum that prevents you from joining the very people that you scathe.

Now that we have established who you are referring to, perhaps there are one or two using this forum who would like to defend thier position, as you still are very much generalizing in your comments.

Teach

you did ask for the doctor, and now you complain that he has too many posts

Oh, and dr Pat, if I had the luxury to spend all day doing nothing but place posts ( in excess of 5000) I would have responded quicker.

Perhaps it's this very forum that prevents you from joining the very people that you scathe.

i don't think the doctor wants to join an ex ceo millionare that is worrying about consecutive 30 day on arrival stamps. tell your "mate" to get a thailand elite card.

roygsd. can anyone help? I am a uk resident and I am coming to thailand to marry in mid june, I want to live here in the uk and will apply for a spouse visa to bring my wife to the uk. I also want to apply for a visa to live in thailand for 12 months although we will hopefully both be returning to the uk mid July. The objective is to come and go for up to 12 months as and when we can, obviously the new changes and charges due in mid july are worrying. Can anyone assist with as much first hand information on spouse visas, i.e. questions asked of my fiancee at the embassy and for my visits to thailand. many thanks :o

hi, just a simple question, is it right that now we have to pay 1900.-baht for a 10 day touristvisa ext., becourse I just payed that amount in phuket, I remember it use to be 500 baht.???????? :o java script:emoticon(':(')

smilie

bonello: Correct me if I am wrong (which I am sure you will) but yes, as I understand it, all visa extensions are now 1900 baht. The raised rate was motivated since it had stayed on the same level for many years (can't remember the exact date), but I agree that it is a bit steep with 1900 baht for ten days. Then again, you always have the option of roughing it to the Malaysian border and getting 30 days for free.

roygsd. can anyone help? I am a uk resident and I am coming to thailand to marry in mid june, I want to live here in the uk and will apply for a spouse visa to bring my wife to the uk. I also want to apply for a visa to live in thailand for 12 months although we will hopefully both be returning to the uk mid July. The objective is to come and go for up to 12 months as and when we can, obviously the new changes and charges due in mid july are worrying. Can anyone assist with as much first hand information on spouse visas, i.e. questions asked of my fiancee at the embassy and for my visits to thailand. many thanks :o

Get a multiple entry Non-Immigrant O class visa based on marriage. It is valid for a year and enables unlimited stays of up to 90 days on each entry to Thailand. Apply by mail at any Thai Consulate in the UK. The Thai Embassy in London is too difficult.

bonello: Correct me if I am wrong (which I am sure you will) but yes, as I understand it, all visa extensions are now 1900 baht. The raised rate was motivated since it had stayed on the same level for many years (can't remember the exact date), but I agree that it is a bit steep with 1900 baht for ten days. Then again, you always have the option of roughing it to the Malaysian border and getting 30 days for free.

You are correct Mr Sweetball. Any extension attracts a 1900 baht fee ( whether it is a 10 day or a one year extension ) The increase was the first since the mid 80's. It is always so much easier to get a visa before leaving home.

This is more of am observation, a good one i hope. No doubt others may disagree.

But I have heard many a tale about the life in Thailand, and will soon be visiting soon.

Many friends who have travelled through, have recounted many a story of foreigners in Thailand. How they live their on retirment money, have many women and children by different women. The fact that the government may be changing the law, albeit more expensive. If it is a genuine person wanting to retire to Thailand, find a young wife, live cheaply then i suppose they have plenty right to argue. But if the law does put people off coming to live in Thailand, to live a selfish hedonistic fantasy (as was in recent publications in british papers (made me sick)) where they live like kings at the expense of other peoples lives and community.

Then i would say that the government should strictly enforce these laws, and some clandestine foreigners are probably laughing at them now!!

Do not rib me, but the travellers/foreigners wanting to stay in Thailand who do exploit the country. Those who see it as a right rather than a privilage.

As we all turn a blind eye.

This is more of am observation, a good one i hope. No doubt others may disagree.

But I have heard many a tale about the life in Thailand, and will soon be visiting soon.

Many friends who have travelled through, have recounted many a story of foreigners in Thailand. How they live their on retirment money, have many women and children by different women. The fact that the government may be changing the law, albeit more expensive. If it is a genuine person wanting to retire to Thailand, find a young wife, live cheaply then i suppose they have plenty right to argue. But if the law does put people off coming to live in Thailand, to live a selfish hedonistic fantasy (as was in recent publications in british papers (made me sick)) where they live like kings at the expense of other peoples lives and community.

Then i would say that the government should strictly enforce these laws, and some clandestine foreigners are probably laughing at them now!!

Do not rib me, but the travellers/foreigners wanting to stay in Thailand who do exploit the country. Those who see it as a right rather than a privilage.

Wozmac I think your observations are close to the mark for many of the guests in Thailand.

Hello from Vienna!

You find probably all kinds of Thais and all kind of foreigners in Thailand as you do everywhere.There are for sure also some foreign "bastards" living like kings and also exploiting the locals.(Some of them tends to bring money into the economy too)There are a lot of foreigners wanting to retire in Thailand(or in SE Asia) of financial reasons.Low pensions in Europe can give a better life in Thailand.I know Austrians with 800-900 dollar per month who spend several months in Thailand every year because their pension lasts longer.This is just as understandable as younger people from SE Asia and S America tries to get work permits in Austria to increase their income and also to give their children a sort of social security.I will also suppose a lot of american veterans will want to spend their old age in this area.(Have met some of them too)

Then there are groups of Asian people in their late 50's or early 60's in Bangkok that live on small private founds,and these old men will try to earn "extras" by selling several services to the local Thais.(Oft not legal)

Very often things are not so much differnet in Thailand as in Europe.Everybody has a right to do the best they can to "survive"Many people will try to stay in low cost countries on their old age.Europeans did this for years in Spain and Portugal and on the croatian coast too.(These areas are to expensive)

The Thai government is for sure making it difficult for foreigners to spend their old age in Thailand sometimes,but some of their arguments are understandable also.I can understand Thais getting mixed thoughts about the colonies of retired forreigners without sufficient security.The pricelevel will increase also in LOS and some years later it will be difficult for big groups of old foreigners to survive without support!!!The problem is seen also in Vienna,where also "cheap labour" gets old and their pensions is not sufficient.They often will decide to go back after retirement.Thais do this also.I have met many older Thais who were working in Europe for 20-25 years who are now living in BKK.I'm soon 50 myself and if I'm still with good helth when I retire I will for sure also "make the best of it" and spend a period of my life in LOS.

Best Regards :o

Henning Karlsen