New Visa Rules From July Confirmed By Immigration

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a "non-o one year marriage visa" and just came back from renewing it in Immigration Soi 8 Pattaya today. I was told in clear terms by the Pol. Cpt. that 200,000 was ok now but next year I would have to have 400,000 in the bank to get the visa.

I hope by next year the rules have become clear(er) for everyone involved.

I have a "non-o one year marriage visa" and just came back from renewing it in Immigration Soi 8 Pattaya today. I was told in clear terms by the Pol. Cpt. that 200,000 was ok now but next year I would have to have 400,000 in the bank to get the visa.

I hope by next year the rules have become clear(er) for everyone involved.

In some places Immigration is insisting on 400,000 baht already. Good luck to you.

I’m confused about this topic and the new rules. What is the deal anyway?

Ok, I understand it will be 400.000 Bath to obtain one year visa.

not for visas mot, financial requirements for new applicants wanting a one year extension based on support are as follows:

- Having a savings account showing not less than 400,000 baht for annual use

or

- Having an income of not less than 40,000 baht a month

or

- Having a savings account and income together of not less than 40,000 baht a month.

however, each application is reviewed individually so it is up to the immigration officer you meet with to set requirements. for an example, if additional proof of you and your spouse being married and actually living together is required , you and/or your neighbors may get a visit at home during your "under review" extension. read some of the posts as this is another part of the application process that varies.

for current holders of extensions the bank balance requirement may be grandfathered for some and may not for others, again it is up to the immigration officer reviewing your application.

for current holders of extensions the bank balance requirement may be grandfathered for some and may not for others, again it is up to the immigration officer reviewing your application.

Is it really that simple? I don't think so. I know they can deny you a visa, but I am sure they need to have a reason, not just that he has a bad day. If any officer can set the value as he likes, what's the point in having rules? I really hope it's a case of Immigrations simply not being sure of the new rules yet.

Is it really that simple? I don't think so. I know they can deny you a visa, but I am sure they need to have a reason, not just that he has a bad day. If any officer can set the value as he likes, what's the point in having rules? I really hope it's a case of Immigrations simply not being sure of the new rules yet.

The Immigration Department Officers don't seem to interpret the changes uniformly. Ask 3 of 'em and you'll get 3 different answers. T i T :o

Friends…

As harrowing as the visa rules are – they are quite liberal, compared with the US and English requirements.

Just check you’re own country’s visa rules, and then complain.

400,000 Baht is a reasonable sum to gain surety – after all, you are guests, not Thai nationals.

Am I missing something here?

TG

Bangkok

Uncertainty About New Rules For Non-immigrant “o”,

“Grand fathering rule” or not?

As for now Nong Khai Immigration got two different sets of instructions from the Headquarters in Bangkok on how the new financial rules are to be executed/interpreted .

They got one from Division 3 stating that the new rules goes for everybody, which means no “Grand fathering rule”.

They also got one from Division 1, in form of a letter addressed to a member of this forum, saying that the new financial rules only applies to new applicants, e.g. people who applies for extension first time after 9th July 2004, which means that there is a “Grand fathering rule” for former applicants.

Superintendent Pol.Col. Sorrapol, Nong Khai Immigration, has done a big work trying to find out which instruction is to be followed, but so far without any luck. All people at HQ in BK say, “We don’t now” .

Our impression is that nobody really knows, and those two sets of instructions slipped out before anybody got to talk about it across the 4 Divisions.

That has given us a kind of delicate situation, because we are out in a possible “lose face” situation. None of the two Divisions can step forward and say, “We were wrong”. Neither can any of them state about the other, “You are wrong”. So to keep it simple, let’s just say they are both right.

That simply leaves it up to each Immigration District to interpret the rules. Here is the policy Nong Khai Immigration is going to follow (and we quote Superintendent Pol.Col. Sorrapol):

“Of course we hope most people can meet the new demands, and those who possible can, should do so. But if some “oldies” known to us can’t, we will process their applications anyway. Nobody is going to be thrown out because they can’t meet the new financial demands. Still, Bangkok got the final word in this, since they are the ones giving the final approval of all applications”.

Finally some “insider” advice to our readers:

1. Do not approach the Immigration Officer demanding your application to be treated according to the “Grand fathering rule”. Then you can be sure of being informed that the officer has never heard of such rule and your application rejected. As things are now there is officially no such thing as a “Grand fathering rule”. It’s a question of goodwill from the officer whether you get it or not.

2. Only “oldies” known to Nong Khai Immigration will get “oldie” treatment, which means people who has been granted extension before by NKI. People from other districts who might think they got a better chance at NKI can forget about it. They will be treated as newcomers and have to comply with the new financial requirements. (This policy to protect and give NKI’s own “oldies” a better chance of approval).

Source: thaiimmigration.com 2004-04-14

Friends…

As harrowing as the visa rules are – they are quite liberal, compared with the US and English requirements.

Just check you’re own country’s visa rules, and then complain.

400,000 Baht is a reasonable sum to gain surety – after all, you are guests, not Thai nationals.

Am I missing something here?

TG

Bangkok

You are so right. Somehow or another, the tropics must remove their logic. That one cannot live in Europe, America, Australia or anywhere else on extended tourist visa's clearly escapes them. Thus, they conclude, Thailand is a racist society.

Patpong,

Just like not all asians are Chinese, not all farangs are British or American. I'm not, so what's USA and UK have to do with my visa in Thailand?

Getting a visa in my country was a matter of routine for my wife, no financial guarantees required, no degrading interviews, nothing like the horror stories from the UK/US embassies.

In any other country I would complain - usually with success - at the appropriate authority ... but as we all know that would be counter productive here, so allow us at least to use this forum to vent our frustration without starting to call us racists!

Patpong,

Just like not all asians are Chinese, not all farangs are British or American. I'm not, so what's USA and UK have to do with my visa in Thailand? 

Getting a visa in my country was a matter of routine for my wife, no financial guarantees required, no degrading interviews, nothing like the horror stories from the UK/US embassies.

In any other country I would complain - usually with success - at the appropriate authority ... but as we all know that would be counter productive here, so allow us at least to use this forum to vent our frustration without starting to call us racists!

Is your nationality a secret ? Share with us. We all want to know about your visa generous country. And I was talking about de facto residence in Thailand by using back to back tourist visa's. Does your country permit that too ?

Dr. Pat: I agee with you as usual.

One of the misconceptions that many in this forum endulge in is comparing apples with oranges when they compare their western country to Thailand.

Many advanced western countries tacitly allow immigration of cheap labor to do the work their citizens no longer want to do.

Even Thailand, with the Burma workers, does this to some extent.

What Thailand doesn't need is farang from western countries competing with Thais for jobs. Thus behind immigration policies are economic forces and government policy attempting to further that economic policy. The reality might be different, as it usually is with most governmental policy, but at least trying to understand why the regulation is in place makes more sense than bashing Thai immigration, which does nothing constructive and doesn't lead anywhere.

Patpong,

Is your nationality a secret ? Share with us. We all want to know about your visa generous country. And I was talking about de facto residence in Thailand by using back to back tourist visa's. Does your country permit that too ?

Patpong,

I prefer not disclosing my nationality on this forum. In western countries I have the freedom to say what I like without having to fear retribution, but you know well that is not the case here. Suffice to say I am from continental Western Europe.

I have already made it clear in another post that the only reason I am here is to give my wife the chance to stay in her country after she has enjoyed the hospitality of my country for the last 10 years - but I guess you conveniently choose to overlook that post.

Other than Thailand (and a single visa run to Cambodia once) the only visa I have ever been required to have was for USA. I hold a 10-year tourist visa which allows me to stay in USA one year at the time for 10 years.

My country does not have on-entry tourist visas, but I think that is beside the point. You are comparing apples and bananas. There is no way a foreigner (and I refuse, to use an obviously derogatory term about myself. Let the Thais call me what they want, but know that if I used racial slur in my country I could run into serious legal problems) here can abuse the social system of the country as there is no such thing. In my country as in most of Western Europe schools, hospitals and other social services are free - even if you are a foreigner. Of course we have to make some restrictions or it would be history pretty soon.

Would you like to disclose your nationality? You seem so fixed on going after anyone with anything negative to say about Thailand that I suspect you are probably Thai. Every time anyone write anything ever so slightly negative about Thailand you are there as a nail with your sarcasm. I think you should reconsider your moderator status or mellow up a bit. The referee in a soccer match does not play any of the sides, nor should a moderator on a forum. Incidentally it will be interesting to see how long you will leave this post before abusing your moderator privileges. What is your doctorate in anyway? Prostitution or go-go bars? Is there anything else in Patpong? Oh, I forgot, there is no prostitution in Thailand! Sorry!

Patpong,

I agree that back to back tourist visas should not be a genuine reason to stay permanently in a country. It's on the other hand different when Thailand does not leave many foreigners other choices. The new law will not allow foreigners without sufficient income to stay in Thailand, this will cause marriages to fall apart. I have been thinking a lot about this, I can understand the Thai official standpoint. It's quite reasonable, it's on the other hand not reasonable to expect foreigners to earn way more than the average local citizin. If every country would apply these same rules to Thais then most of the Thais will return to the land of the smiles rapidly, unfortunately without smile on their face then.

The Thais respect Ajarns (teachers), what if a foreign teacher works for over twenty years in the Kingdom, married, children, and loses his job. He hasn't got 400.000 baht in the bank and has to leave the country. The Thais will without doubt make it soon impossible to stay in Thailand on back to back tourist visas. Fair, no but very Thai. No respect for marriage in a country that's famous for prostitution. The other thing is, what if his wife would want to support the foreigner? Are Thai women not that good as men? Does the wife has to put her money into her husbands account? Very dishonest to put money in different names but also very Thai like Khun Thaksin kindly demonstrated.

The stupidity of it all makes Thailand the only country where such a policy could be implemented.

The other thing I don't like is that all Thais will know how much foreigners earns, my neighbours in the moo baan know my nationality, they will conclusively know my minimum income. Which other country introduces laws that will make the whole country know that foreigners are way richer than locals? That will not make people feel safer...

The good thing is that it motivates westerners to earn decent money, but deep in my heart I don't see Thailand as a permanent home. Racism is a serious issue in civilized countries, in Thailand they make racism governmnet policy. I do not think they will ever learn.... :o

Would you like to disclose your nationality? You seem so fixed on going after anyone with anything negative to say about Thailand that I suspect you are probably Thai. Every time anyone write anything ever so slightly negative about Thailand you are there as a nail with your sarcasm. I think you should reconsider your moderator status or mellow up a bit. The referee in a soccer match does not play any of the sides, nor should a moderator on a forum. Incidentally it will be interesting to see how long you will leave this post before abusing your moderator privileges. What is your doctorate in anyway? Prostitution or go-go bars? Is there anything else in Patpong? Oh, I forgot, there is no prostitution in Thailand! Sorry!

Why so shy madsere? I'm from America, let me take a wild guess. You sound like you're from Belgium.

Lay off dr_Pat_Pong and your negative comments concerning Thailand.

Patpong,

Patpong,

I prefer not disclosing my nationality on this forum. In western countries I have the freedom to say what I like without having to fear retribution, but you know well that is not the case here. Suffice to say I am from continental Western Europe.

I have already made it clear in another post that the only reason I am here is to give my wife the chance to stay in her country after she has enjoyed the hospitality of my country for the last 10 years - but I guess you conveniently choose to overlook that post.

Other than Thailand (and a single visa run to Cambodia once) the only visa I have ever been required to have was for USA. I hold a 10-year tourist visa which allows me to stay in USA one year at the time for 10 years.

My country does not have on-entry tourist visas, but I think that is beside the point. You are comparing apples and bananas. There is no way a foreigner (and I refuse, to use an obviously derogatory term about myself. Let the Thais call me what they want, but know that if I used racial slur in my country I could run into serious legal problems) here can abuse the social system of the country as there is no such thing. In my country as in most of Western Europe schools, hospitals and other social services are free - even if you are a foreigner. Of course we have to make some restrictions or it would be history pretty soon.

I'll ignore this sad case. Not worth the bother.

Grayhat: I may be, and then again, I may not. In either case it is none of your business, irellevant in this context and I already explained my reasons. It seems you can read, why don't you try also to understand.

Patpong: Cat took your tongue, huh... If you had a minimal amount of integrity you would take the consequence and resign as moderator. But judging by your posts here I suppose that would be too much to expect.

Grayhat: I may be, and then again, I may not. In either case it is none of your business, irellevant in this context and I already explained my reasons. It seems you can read, why don't you try also to understand.

Patpong: Cat took your tongue, huh... If you had a minimal amount of integrity you would take the consequence and resign as moderator. But judging by your posts here I suppose that would be too much to expect.

Yeah ... that'd be right ... I'd probably resign as a consequence of your idiocy.

Hi,

Can anybody help?

I am getting married at the beginning of July and want to apply for a 1 year visa (before the 9th July)! Is it ok to apply only having a 30 day stamp from the airport, or do I need a 3 month visa from the UK before I arrive?

Any other info or advie appreciated!

Thanks in advance. :o

I am getting married at the beginning of July and want to apply for a 1 year visa (before the 9th July)! Is it ok to apply only having a 30 day stamp from the airport, or do I need a 3 month visa from the UK before I arrive?
You must have a valid visa to apply (not 30 day entry stamp) so unless you plan an immediate trip do not believe you will be in a position to apply for an extension of stay by July 9. These have normally only been accepted during the final 30 days of a 90 day stay stamp and new policy may be two weeks from current information.

You must have a valid visa to apply (not 30 day entry stamp) so unless you plan an immediate trip do not believe you will be in a position to apply for an extension of stay by July 9. These have normally only been accepted during the final 30 days of a 90 day stay stamp and new policy may be two weeks from current information.

Get a 90 day Non-Immigrant O visa from a Consulate in the UK ( not the Embassy in London ... too tough there ) You can use the mails. You know the deadlines to extend your visa, so make sure you get here in time. Have you got a bank account inside Thailand ?