New Visa Rules From July Confirmed By Immigration

Thanks for your help, but I will not arrive in thailand until the 20th June. Therefore the 90 day Non-Immigrant O visa will not help me before the 9th July deadline. I will arrive on a 30 day entry stamp as I am currntly outside the UK and don't want the worry of not having my passport back in time.

Do you have any suggestions of other visas I can apply for which will save me the hassle of doing a visa run every month? What about a double entry 6 month visa?

I do have a bank account in thailand and the 400,000baht wouldn't be a problem when I arrive. In a years time may be another story!!!

Surely being married, would offer a few more benefits?

Thanks again.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your help, but I will not arrive in thailand until the 20th June. Therefore the 90 day Non-Immigrant O visa will not help me before the 9th July deadline. I will arrive on a 30 day entry stamp as I am currntly outside the UK and don't want the worry of not having my passport back in time.

Do you have any suggestions of other visas I can apply for which will save me the hassle of doing a visa run every month? What about a double entry 6 month visa?

I do have a bank account in thailand and the 400,000baht wouldn't be a problem when I arrive. In a years time may be another story!!!

Thanks again.

You can do nothing at all about staying in Thailand if you arrive on a 30 day permit. It is essential that you get a Non-Immigrant O visa in the UK before you leave. Apply by mail to the Thai Consulate in Hull. Very efficient and very fast.

Having just down-loaded the Nong Khai visa forms, I notice that they require a signature or a right thumb print. (TM.7 and TM.8)

What is all this nonsense on this board about the Thais only wanting rich farangs in? Illiterate peasants are being encouraged by the very forms the government issues!

Thanks again.

You can do nothing at all about staying in Thailand if you arrive on a 30 day permit. It is essential that you get a Non-Immigrant O visa in the UK before you leave. Apply by mail to the Thai Consulate in Hull. Very efficient and very fast.

What country are you in right now?

I have spoken to the Thai Embassy in Hull and will apply for Non-Immigrant O visa.

I will then try and get a get a 1 year visa around the 5th July. Do think I will have a chance of getting the visa before the changes come in?

I will be in Pattaya and I Know what the immigraton office is like. Is it better to apply there or in Bangkok?

Thanks again for all your help

:o

I have spoken to the Thai Embassy in Hull and will apply for Non-Immigrant O visa.

I will then try and get a get a 1 year visa around the 5th July. Do think I will have a chance of getting the visa before the changes come in?

I will be in Pattaya and I Know what the immigraton office is like. Is it better to apply there or in Bangkok?

:o

Cutting it fine but you can try. :D

Friends…

As harrowing as the visa rules are – they are quite liberal, compared with the US and English requirements.

Just check you’re own country’s visa rules, and then complain.

400,000 Baht is a reasonable sum to gain surety – after all, you are guests, not Thai nationals.

Am I missing something here?

TG

Bangkok

I think you're missing a point. This is related to foreigners married to Thais, not related to people coming in to work necessarily.

For a Thai going to UK, married to a Briton, there is a check that you have sufficient funds to live on for getting the Visa. - that initial visa lasts a year. (in Thailand 3 months, you have to go to immigration before it expires to get it extended).

In the UK, at the end of the year, you have to go and see immigration, and if they're 100% happy, they'll give indefinite leave to remain. (i.e. ONE trip to immigration EVER - and you don't need to get a Visa again). After 3 years living in the UK married to a British Citizen, you are allowed to apply for a British passport.

In Thailand - after 3 one-year Visas, you can apply for residency. However there is a limit on the number of residency permits they will issue. (you need to be lucky). I'm now on my 4th one-year visa...

Yes - I agree that getting my wife's initial visa to go to the UK was a lot more hassle, but that was partly because she had overstayed her previous tourist visa to the UK (I met her in London). And immigration in Croydon took literally hours to get around to seeing us, where the Thai office is relatively quick. The difference is, my wife knows she can go and live in the UK indefinitely. - I have to assume immigration will LET me stay...

I have just been to the bank to open a fixed deposit account with the required balance of 800,000 Baht in readiness for a retirement visa application. My application was refused on the grounds that I need a work permit in order to open a bank account. How the ###### am I supposed to get a retirement visa if I can't open the bank account?!!!! :o

I have just been to the bank to open a fixed deposit account with the required balance of 800,000 Baht in readiness for a retirement visa application. My application was refused on the grounds that I need a work permit in order to open a bank account. How the ###### am I supposed to get a retirement visa if I can't open the bank account?!!!! :o

Which bank refused you Suzy ?

Oh and as long as you have a Non-Immigrant visa., all will be well :D

I am not quite sure to fully understand the thinking behind these new immigration rules. Would a "rich" farang spend more than a teacher or a back pack? I am sure all the farangs living here with small incomes/pensions seriously contribute to the economy, do they?

- - - -

I have been working here for 15 years, initially with a salary of USD 2,000 and now over USD4,000. I live upnorth in a THB3,000 small house and have been driving the same Honda dream, which I purchased second hand THB8,000 at the time - needless to say I need a new one! I eat inexpensive/delicious Thai food, barely buy anything, rarely make extras and, knocking on wood, I am never ill. Overall I happily live on less than THB10,000 and I have been wiring the rest of my salary into my account back home ever since I arrived here. There, among many other things, I regularly deposit for a cool retirement pension, support my family and can build MY house, with my name on the documents and all.

Financially speaking, am I a better farang than a teacher or an old poor chap simply living out of his pension?

have spoken to the Thai Embassy in Hull and will apply for Non-Immigrant O visa.

Chiang mai immigration has a rule that they don't process extensions unless you're in the last month of your current stay as started by the entry stamp.

So if you arrive on the 20 th of june, you might not be able to apply before 60 days after your entry stamp which is 18 august or something.

My friend had his extension in pattaya and the same rule was applied. If you get the extension then it is 9 month extension practically as they also start their 360 days extension from the date of your last entry stamp. (so actually counting back 2 months).

Better check with pattaya-imigration as well maybe ?

the extension only has as advantage that you not need to do visa runs i feel, but also i find the money requirement not that ideal as then they actually have data on you. when you do visa runs thay actually only see you going out and in every 3 months. With extension they know your bank account and address... up to you :o

also note that if you married without kids, you need to prove to them that you are REALLY married :D, Whcih means you need to find Two thais who will vouch for you that you are, they need to be there when the immigration officer comes, sign and bring a copy of their passports.

When you have a baby apparently this requirement is then overlooked.

Also of course a problem when you've just moved to an area.

Edited by Darknight

I am not quite sure to fully understand the thinking behind these new immigration rules. Would a "rich" farang spend more than a teacher or a back pack? I am sure all the farangs living here with small incomes/pensions seriously contribute to the economy, do they?

- - - -

I have been working here for 15 years, initially with a salary of USD 2,000 and now over USD4,000. I live upnorth in a THB3,000 small house and have been driving the same Honda dream, which I purchased second hand THB8,000 at the time - needless to say I need a new one! I eat inexpensive/delicious Thai food, barely buy anything, rarely make extras and, knocking on wood, I am never ill. Overall I happily live on less than THB10,000 and I have been wiring the rest of my salary into my account back home ever since I arrived here. There, among many other things, I regularly deposit for a cool retirement pension, support my family and can build MY house, with my name on the documents and all.

Financially speaking, am I a better farang than a teacher or an old poor chap simply living out of his pension?

living on less than 10,000 baht doesn't suggest to me that you are singlehandedly supporting the Thai economy. Share with us how your name is on the house documents.

Yes and that's why I cannot really figure out the why of these new laws. Please enlighten me.

As regards to the house: "I have been wiring the rest of my salary into my account back home ever since I arrived here ... I have built MY house, with my name on the documents and all ..."

That is back home! Certainly not in a country where I cannot be legally the real owner of my house, not to mention with the risk of being deported for some of these incomprehensible reasons because I am only a guest.

what are the rules for a Canadian marrying a Thai woman next year re visa and financial requirements i will not be working does anyone have this info thanks Geek

Once you are married you can get a Non-Immigrant O visa and extend it for a year at a time if you have 400,000 baht in a bank in Thailand, or a combination of income and savings to that sum.

Off the topic a little but does anyone know what documentation a person needs in order to marry a Thai woman, ie what papers if any I need to bring with me?

and can it be strictly a simple civil ceremony ( i know the religous ceremony is long and complicated)

Geek to marry in thailand can be only civil (only real marriage) and that is to register the marriage at the local Amphur office (city hall).

The papers you need , i wouldn't know , i would presume at least your passport :o.

When you want to start filing for your wife to come to your country then it gets difficult and depends on your country and embassy.

Maybe you can tell us your country and ask Dr pp then for directions.

Off the topic a little but does anyone know what documentation a person needs in order to marry a Thai woman, ie what papers if any I need to bring with me?

and can it be strictly a simple civil ceremony (  i know the religous ceremony is long and complicated)

You need your passport and a letter from your emabassy stating that you are free to marry.

Your wife to be needs her ID and house registration (Tabien Bahn).

There are other documents that need to be filed at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, I think, but it may be a different Ministry. This must be done first as the Ministry issue the permission to marry.

Ok I just read this part now what about all the other rules and reg?

For example:How often does a married Farang (USA) man have to leave the county for example etc etc.....?????

I have been living with my Thai girlfriend now for 7 years and getting tired of this 2 month visa deal!

Its expensive now and I dont like mini buses!

Can some one recommend differn possiblites for me and what is involved?

I can make a bank account here in Thailand say I have 400K (or more if nessary) but I am only 44 years old.

Please let me know what is really involved?

I may end up gettting a fiance visa and take her back to the States but want to know what other options I can do here instead?

I am not working and have quite small income.

Anyone who knows the score and can recommend to me what I should do I am all ears!

Thanks, SM

Sounds like that there has been a worldwide shortage of women that everyone needs to be here...heh, just kidding around! True, this is a serious issue, can't imagine why anyone would want their marriages broken up. I am sure the Thais have good intentions. They are good people if you understand them. Trouble is, some farangs "Gods of the Universe" types, don't want too. :o

and can it be strictly a simple civil ceremony (  i know the religous ceremony is long and complicated)

You need your passport and a letter from your emabassy stating that you are free to marry.

Your wife to be needs her ID and house registration (Tabien Bahn).

There are other documents that need to be filed at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, I think, but it may be a different Ministry. This must be done first as the Ministry issue the permission to marry.

Like divorce papers or death certificate of spouse ( if previously married )

These varying amounts one needs in the bank to qualify for a long visa. Is there no where one can invest these amounts, so as to give you a decent reurn. Somewhere acceptable to the Thai immigration as having sufficient funds in Thailand. Would an equivilant amount in Thai stocks and shares be acceptable?

I'm a divorcee, so now I need 800,000 in the bank for my one year retirement visa. While I'm ok now, I wonder if I can maintain this amount into the future. If I could invest, or deposit this amount somewhere that would give me a good return and at the same time, being accepted as money in Thailand.

If anyone has any input into my suggestions, I would be interested to hear.

These varying amounts one needs in the bank to qualify for a long visa. Is there no where one can invest these amounts, so as to give you a decent reurn. Somewhere acceptable to the Thai immigration as having sufficient funds in Thailand. Would an equivilant amount in Thai stocks and shares be acceptable?

I'm a divorcee, so now I need 800,000 in the bank for my one year retirement visa. While I'm ok now, I wonder if I can maintain this amount into the future. If I could invest, or deposit this amount somewhere that would give me a good return and at the same time, being accepted as money in Thailand.

If anyone has any input into my suggestions, I would be interested to hear.

The regulations make it clear that you need a bank account in Thailand, or a combination of income / savings, or income alone amounting to that 800,000

Simbo:

Your post suggests that you don't realize that immigration expects you to spend the 800,000 in Thailand. They expect you to draw down 50k or more a month for living expenses from that account, it can't be in any form of fixed investment account.

They not only verify the money when you obtain your one year extention, they want to see the spending on a monthly basis. If they don't see your living expenses being draw from this account, they will investigate further as to where you are getting your living expenses.

They have stated in their web page that they are after people who are working illegally in Thailand and people who are able to live here without any visible source of income, ie. your not drawing down on your account, is who they are after.

its is very easy to open a bankaccount if you now what bank to go to.

bangkok bank pattya will open one for you if you stay in a gesthouse or hotel in pattya the day you open the bankaccount.

all you need to bring is you passport and name of hotel, the will give you PLUS card sameday for 250 bath a year

, or VISA ELETRONIC card cost 300 bath a year, and take a week

the bank is on 2rd road, 300meter east from big c, :o

When I am applying for the visa, is there any income / savings requirements? As far as I understand, this is only required when I'm making the actual extension? I am going to Penang to apply for a Non immigrant O visa. I really do hope that the only thing that I have to show is the marriage certificate and other relevant papers.

I cannot find an answer to this question on this forum, please excuse me if it's mentioned somewhere and I haven't seen it.

I do know however that if I'm going to make an extension now the requirement is 200,000 and 400,000 after July. And some people have posted information that this is NOT going to be grandfathered.

I really do hope that the only thing that I have to show is the marriage certificate and other relevant papers.

That with copy of her ID card and perhaps a short note that you live together to make it air tight. But believe they are now only giving single entry visas and you are expected to extend it. New policy for those of working age has been stated as up to nine months to find a job before any income needs to be provided as proof; or income from outside Thailand can be used.

It seems they are making it easier for extensions but harder for those who may have been using multi entry visas to avoid income disclosure and working on the side without permits or tax payments.