Bamboozled By Farang Developer

Correct, try to avoid the layers and deal with the man. Should be of everyones interest to get all of the houses completed, an eyesore is not good. And bad reputation is following him around in the community if not, said or written it does not matter, in his biz everyone is famous.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Huahinheartbreak

Seems to me that you should play along with the developer and get your house completed and sell it off fast to the next blue eyed buyer.

I have looked at your pictures and can just conlude that this is just the way they build and design houses in Thailand. It goes on all over Thailand.

First of all you say that the design is Thai/Bali style, what style is that? Seperate buildings from the main building containing bedrooms kitchen livingroom? Perimeted by a security wall?

So each building has its own key to lock up/down, smart, how many keys do you need to close your house.

Put the kids to bed and lock them in in their own bedroom building, or do you trust the security wall and the sturdy security guy outside at the gate? Each building has its own covering roof, no roof covering the paths to the next building? Do you bring a umbrella with you when you eed to go from the livingroom to your bedroom? If each building has no rain gutter can you imagen the pour of water that will come down.

Get rid of the house and design a good and useable home.

Looked at a house for 120 million bath in Phuket and they had a ringset full of keys to open and close down the house. I asked how the owners can walk in between the buildings without getting wet during rain, the sales officer told me that rich people do not come here when it is raining????????????????????????????????????????

Complete the house and sell it fast.

I find it hard to believe this person's posts. exhibits moral bankruptsy. Finish the disaster and sell it to the next blue eyed buyer, he suggests. Ruin two peoples dreams!

That's the way they build in Thailand he opines. Crap. there a more good builders than bad. This one seems to be one of the worst.

He asks what style is Thai/ Bali. He must never have been to a book store. There are many books on this style. Then he goes on with the key thing and rain gutters. What nonsense. Don't critique the book until you've read it, you just expose your ignorance.

His brighter side of life = if you get screwed, screw some one else, and at a profit.

Hoping to see no more such posts.

Can somebody please name and shame or put up a better picture that other foreigners can see what the houses in area look like or maybe a picture from a nearby hill so foreigners can see where the houses are and know not to buy from the cheating soab.

I would likely go with foreign one over thai as they are more likely to know what your looking for so this guy should be weeded out.

Also it might be the guy hired crap contractors and not man enough to push them to repair repair all the normal mistakes they make.

Hi Dabiff

Well going to a bookstore and buy a real house or an architect dream?

I'm a technician and know how things work, have been around in the construction biz too long and I know how they build houses in Thailand. Architect designs and real living in a house are two seperate things, in Thailand architects have two much saying in constructing houses. Thai houses run high in running and maintainance costs. Just look around and you see the low standards of keeping houses in a good condition. Yes there are to many bad house construction builders, but do not call me the worst of them, sorry bad assumption. Buying a house in Thailand is a big gamble and that is why so many peaople build their own house, to keep a close eye on the progress. And we who lived here for a while know this and it is a fact. For the HH house I still say finish the house and move on, according the pictures I still state that it is not of good quality, but also not of the lowest I have seen around.

Hi Dabiff

Well going to a bookstore and buy a real house or an architect dream?

I'm a technician and know how things work, have been around in the construction biz too long and I know how they build houses in Thailand. Architect designs and real living in a house are two seperate things, in Thailand architects have two much saying in constructing houses. Thai houses run high in running and maintainance costs. Just look around and you see the low standards of keeping houses in a good condition. Yes there are to many bad house construction builders, but do not call me the worst of them, sorry bad assumption. Buying a house in Thailand is a big gamble and that is why so many peaople build their own house, to keep a close eye on the progress. And we who lived here for a while know this and it is a fact. For the HH house I still say finish the house and move on, according the pictures I still state that it is not of good quality, but also not of the lowest I have seen around.

Dear Master Chief,

I've thought of simply trying to hire somebody to finish the house, but other builders we've had look at it said they wouldn't want to try and fix something that's broken. It seems to me that if we could tear down the walls (which look really crappy, uneven cement, gaps, wood stuck in extra big gaps...) and start over at the foundations, we might be able to get something worth living in or selling.

But ... we'd be in the middle of our current builder's development, and i don't think he'd take too kindly to that. Seems there's a lot he could do to sabotage us, our electricity, our water, our workers, etc. Or, even do personal harm. Doesn't seem like a good situation all around.

Still seeking answers,

Hua Hin Heartbreak

heard yesterday that the cop shop has so many people going to complain about builders now,that they just shrug shoulders "next please"

no consulation to know your not the first and wont be the last.

everyones a builder all of a sudden in hua hin

:D:D

makes me mad, :o:D

Dear Master Chief,

I've thought of simply trying to hire somebody to finish the house, but other builders we've had look at it said they wouldn't want to try and fix something that's broken. It seems to me that if we could tear down the walls (which look really crappy, uneven cement, gaps, wood stuck in extra big gaps...) and start over at the foundations, we might be able to get something worth living in or selling.

But ... we'd be in the middle of our current builder's development, and i don't think he'd take too kindly to that. Seems there's a lot he could do to sabotage us, our electricity, our water, our workers, etc. Or, even do personal harm. Doesn't seem like a good situation all around.

Still seeking answers,

Hua Hin Heartbreak

Dear HuaHinHeartBreak

The developer has already a lawyer speaking for him and this lawyer seems to be of the streetwise type. What do you think of getting your self a negotiator (not a lawyer, but a building inspector or some one who is used to be in construction management position) who can talk to the developer on your behalf, emotions tends to run hot if you deal directly with the developer? He can explain the situation and status of the house in technical terms, :D explain to the developer how you feel to this situation that has arise during the construction period, explain your goal to complete the construction and how you can help each other to solve this locked situation. The developer sure had a dream as he started this project, to finish and finally manage a completed housing development, as it seems to be only greed now. Make it clear to him that he has not reached the final stage before he has finished all the houses, he has made millions on this project and will produce several more when everything is completed. The developer seems to not have been doing this kind of projects previously and can surely shift his emotions to the construction team doing the actual construction, but he has to understand that he as the manager for the development must take his responsibility and finish all the houses as per signed original contract between developer and customer. The developer sure lives around in HH and must know that a good reputation and good face is in his favor, how else can he look people in their faces and tell them that he did this project and is be proud of it. Or maybe he looks away as he passes his precious project and drives on. :o Then he is just the regular jackass as the rest of the lost face losers running similar projects around in Thailand and we know who they are, believe me. We know who you are! :D:D:D

Wow, maybe you show him this tread :D

Dear Master Chief,

Still seeking answers,

Hua Hin Heartbreak

Dear HuaHinHeartBreak

The developer has already a lawyer speaking for him and this lawyer seems to be of the streetwise type. What do you think of getting your self a negotiator (not a lawyer, but a building inspector or some one who is used to be in construction management position) who can talk to the developer on your behalf, emotions tends to run hot if you deal directly with the developer? He can explain the situation and status of the house in technical terms, :D explain to the developer how you feel to this situation that has arise during the construction period, explain your goal to complete the construction and how you can help each other to solve this locked situation. The developer sure had a dream as he started this project, to finish and finally manage a completed housing development, as it seems to be only greed now. Make it clear to him that he has not reached the final stage before he has finished all the houses, he has made millions on this project and will produce several more when everything is completed. The developer seems to not have been doing this kind of projects previously and can surely shift his emotions to the construction team doing the actual construction, but he has to understand that he as the manager for the development must take his responsibility and finish all the houses as per signed original contract between developer and customer. The developer sure lives around in HH and must know that a good reputation and good face is in his favor, how else can he look people in their faces and tell them that he did this project and is be proud of it. Or maybe he looks away as he passes his precious project and drives on. :o Then he is just the regular jackass as the rest of the lost face losers running similar projects around in Thailand and we know who they are, believe me. We know who you are! :D:D:D

Wow, maybe you show him this tread :D

I was thinking about what I wrote in this tread last and I must have been affected by M.L King, "I have a dream, a dream that one day......" :D

Just out of curiousty, when you talk about uneven brick are they going to plaster over the walls inside and out?

That is a common practice here.

But openings where the are sticking wood to cove gaps instead of cement, will lead to major cracks.

The other thing thats seem to be pretty normal here is hairline cracks in walls, probably due to settlement, they don't compact here as thye do in the states. It can alo be caused by the mix oof the cemetn used. Uless they are using something like a ready mix delivered to the site. Out house cement was mixed in the road in fronot the house by hand.

About the only way to combat the cracks is to wait a year or so until things settle doen do the repiat work and then repaint.

Look like you are about where I was if you can't talk to the guy you can't get anything done.

Don't look for building standards here like you see in the states, won't happen. :o

so any update HHHB??????

Yes, actually there is.

We got a settlement offer of 50% refund in five months and 50% in another five month "if the cash flow allows it."

Say what!!??

We've forwarded it to our lawyer, who is preparing a response.

One of the primary points of contention is that the developer says we've been late in payments because we didn't pay according to schedule; on the other hand, the schedule was tied to construction milestones which were not completed. Which prevails - the date or the milestone? The developer says the date, regardless of milestone completion and we say the milestone, regardless of date.

HHHB

do you mean you might get all your money back (50% +50%) and still keep your half built house and the land it stands on , or that you will give up title to the land and the half built house in return for your money back?

so any update HHHB??????

Yes, actually there is.

We got a settlement offer of 50% refund in five months and 50% in another five month "if the cash flow allows it."

Say what!!??

We've forwarded it to our lawyer, who is preparing a response.

One of the primary points of contention is that the developer says we've been late in payments because we didn't pay according to schedule; on the other hand, the schedule was tied to construction milestones which were not completed. Which prevails - the date or the milestone? The developer says the date, regardless of milestone completion and we say the milestone, regardless of date.

HHHB

Clearly by making some sort of offer the developer is accepting some liability.

Regarding milestone vs date, depends on actual wording within the contract, normally milestone takes precedence.

On a big plus point, you now at least have some sort of diaologue which is vital if a settlement is to be reached without litigation.

do you mean you might get all your money back (50% +50%) and still keep your half built house and the land it stands on , or that you will give up title to the land and the half built house in return for your money back?

Get our money back and return the half-baked house.

Get our money back and return the half-baked house.

Have been following your thread with great interest, as always with any dealings with contractors anywhere in the world the word is Buyer Beware,I was taught an expensive lesson, a german relative in the 70,s he built my new family home and because I was a stupid trusting idiot, Idid not read a contract properly and I signed a partially filled in form, whichgave him ownership of the house,So now double check everything , especially when we decided to build in thailand, think we have given our builder a few grey hairs, but with patience , goodwill, and a great bkk solicitor everything worked out fine. Hope your problem sorts itself out and you get yourhome built, You are not the first to come a cropper and you definitely aint the last!! I make a point of giving my german relative a Slap everytime we visit germany, everyone knows what he has done ,so I have never been charged yet,, but dont reccomend trying it in Huahin :D:o Nignoy

Ahhh, you can't trust those devilish Germans Nignoy....they invaded Poland, didn't they. :D

They've recently invaded Koh Samui. :o

Did.nt know any better mate was the second wifes brother, but I got the last laugh had her cremated and her ashes put in an eggtimer, :D which has pride of place on my desk , the grandkids love giving Grandma a shake up :D hope to be back on my feet in july maybe we can get together for a beer :D nignoy

Ahhh, you can't trust those devilish Germans Nignoy....they invaded Poland, didn't they. :D

Did.nt know any better mate was the second wifes brother, but I got the last laugh had her cremated and her ashes put in an eggtimer, :D which has pride of place on my desk , the grandkids love giving Grandma a shake up :D hope to be back on my feet in july maybe we can get together for a beer :D nignoy

Good idea. I'm up for that.

BTW, went to my 1st C & A get together on Sunday at Faifield showground.

Saw my 1 st Ekkies in real time. Beautiful! Very close relative of Big Bill. :D

Good idea. I'm up for that.

BTW, went to my 1st C & A get together on Sunday at Faifield showground.

Saw my 1 st Ekkies in real time. Beautiful! Very close relative of Big Bill. :D

Leave them ekkies alone mate, they are maniacs ,bit of bugger to hand raise, if you are looking for something that size how about major mitchells. Nignoy