What are you diabetics eating for breakfast?

george

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 'cured' and then went back to a construction site diet and now it's worse than ever.

Was the decision to go back to your old diet based on the belief that you thought you were cured?

Edited by tropo

I have diabetes type 2 since 10 years and has been advised by the Doc to eat salad or vegetables for breakfast.

Do you Type 2 guys have a better idea, like Musli without sugar? Any brand name you can recommend. I have looked at Tesco-Lotus and Villa market, but all brands are unknown for me.

Any other breakfast suggestions that keeps your blood sugar low?

Thanks in advance!

I am a medico... now abitof advice which has probably been given... reduce your food intake. Type 2 can be CURED. Itis prevalent with just too much eating in 98% of ALL CASES. Regardless of your weight now... reduce whatyou eat. Carbonated sweet drinks...pre packaged juices...as they haveadded extra sugars ALCOHOL which is high in EVERYTHING white grains..yes rice included because of starch carbo compounds and switch to whole grain...brown rice products.

Do this andwithin 6 months youwill be on track to recovery.

YESIT TAKES AWAY WHAT YOU LOVE TO EAT... but the consequences of this short term pain for LONG TERMGAIN are this... your willy will stop working..blindness..cancer (usually inthe brain) fingers and toes going numb and leading to huge peoblems... and. Could go on.

So just change your diet NOW...lose weight moderately not too fast and go back toa better healthier non problematic life

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's all true except the part about being able to cure Diabetes which is definitely not true. It is possible however to reduce the symptoms and to eliminate blood glucose spikes at a dangerous level through a carefully controlled diet. A program of weight loss at the outset is useful, endocrinologists typically recommend loosing ten per cent of your bodty weight, by doing so you will eliminate most of the fat around your internal organs and in particular eliminate fatty liver, this allows the body to manage glucose better.

One fairly recent and quite prominent theory is that a concentrated weight loss program in the early days of Type II Diabetes, a diet containing no more than 800 calories a day for nine weeks will return the metabolism to NEAR normal, the diabetes will never be cured because it is a progressive disease and once cells die they do not magically get reborn! I actually support that thoery bvecaus eit's more or less what I did albeit by accident and without knowing about that theory. Today I can eat low glycemic carbs, proteins and fat in a balanced and measured way and my blood glucose levels remain well managed. But if I eat a slice of white bread, a cake or similar my levels would skyrocket.

your advice is correct EXCEPT you can cure tyoe 2..not type 1

We've had several posters over the years make the same claims and it always turns to tears when they are unable to support their claim with mainstream medical support, several have ended up being banned as a result. So, for the benefit of the many diabetes sufferers who are reading this forum right now and who have become excited because of your statement, you get one chance to post a link from any well known mainstream medical authority confirming your statement that diabetes can be cured, thereafter we'll refer it to the Moderators.

• Like 1

We've had several posters over the years make the same claims and it always turns to tears when they are unable to support their claim with mainstream medical support, several have ended up being banned as a result. So, for the benefit of the many diabetes sufferers who are reading this forum right now and who have become excited because of your statement, you get one chance to post a link from any well known mainstream medical authority confirming your statement that diabetes can be cured, thereafter we'll refer it to the Moderators.

+1

• Like 1

MJP - What's your A1C level?

What's an A1C level?

I've only had diabetes for seven years, give me a chance to understand and get to grips with it already! laugh.png

A1C is a blood test that measures the volume of glycated red blood cells and is expressed as a percentage, it's universally regarded as the gold standard for measuring progress (or lack of) in diabetes and is typically done every three months. Mine started off at 6.4% and slowly dropped as I changed my diet, last month I recorded 4.8% - in Thailand it's cheap enough to do it every month which helps enormously, I think, in developing a stable diet and exercise regime.

Edited by chiang mai

What's an A1C level?

I've only had diabetes for seven years, give me a chance to understand and get to grips with it already! laugh.png

A1C is a blood test that measures the volume of glycated red blood cells and is expressed as a percentage, it's universally regarded as the gold standard for measuring progress (or lack of) in diabetes and is typically done every three months. Mine started off at 6.4% and slowly dropped as I changed my diet, last month I recorded 4.8% - in Thailand it's cheap enough to do it every month which helps enormously, I think, in developing a stable diet and exercise regime.

I used to think that until on 2 occasions (at a lab here in Thailand) I got a reading more than 0.5% different on 2 consecutive days one time, and on the same day the other. The reason why I went back for another test on these occasions was because the results seemed too high based on my daily testing.

If you're measuring 6.4% against 4.8%, that's a very significant error. I don't waste my money on the test anymore, as mine are usually in a fairly tight range and meaningless when taking into consideration the lab error.

A test most neglect is the peptide C test, to measure insulin production. It's a good idea to know if you're producing enough insulin.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

What's an A1C level?

I used to think that until on 2 occasions (at a lab here in Thailand) I got a reading more than 0.5% different on 2 consecutive days one time, and on the same day the other. The reason why I went back for another test on these occasions was because the results seemed too high based on my daily testing.

If you're measuring 6.4% against 4.8%, that's a very significant error. I don't waste my money on the test anymore, as mine are usually in a fairly tight range and meaningless when taking into consideration the lab error.

A test most neglect is the peptide C test, to measure insulin production. It's a good idea to know if you're producing enough insulin.

The 6.4 vs 4.8 is not a error, it's the course I've seen my A1C results take over a nine month period of testing monthly, dropping a little each month. Interestingly, my A1C now correlates nicely to my self test results on average.

is bacon and eggs ok?

Very much so. Loads of protein - not much (if any?) carbs.

Except bacon is regarded as a fatty cut of meat which is not ideal, pork is fine if you eat pork loin, other cuts are rated less highly for bad fat content.

The 6.4 vs 4.8 is not a error, it's the course I've seen my A1C results take over a nine month period of testing monthly, dropping a little each month. Interestingly, my A1C now correlates nicely to my self test results on average.

The point I was trying to make is that if I'm getting an error in my lab results as high, or higher than 0.5%, the difference between a 6.4 reading and a 4.8 reading would be far less significant than if the degree of error was less.

One of my results was 6.4%... then went back and tested again the same day and came back with 5.8%. 0.6% is a huge difference if you're looking at results around the 5.0 to 6.0 region.

The interesting thing is that your postprandial and FBS readings are higher than mine on average, yet your HbA1c readings are lower... which would indicate that my RBC's live longer, accumulating a higher average glycation. I have hematocrit readings in the 50 - 56% region, which is very high - perhaps this skews HbA1c results. Hydration could also be an important factor.

'Maybe to some degree':

imo there is no maybe, it's certainly been proven to my satisfaction, I wouldn't touch them.

'Why cooking with a microwave destroys cancer-fighting nutrients in food and promotes nutritional deficiencies[/size]

Learn more: [/size]

http://www.naturalnews.com/039404_microwave_ovens_vitamins_nutrients.html#ixzz2fPylv8Cn

from the same study:

'Microwaves absolutely decimate the nutritional value of your food, destroying the very vitamins and phytonutrients that prevent disease and support good health. Previous studies have shown that as much as 98% of the cancer-fighting nutrients in broccoli, for example, are destroyed by microwaving.[/size]

And the article below will say that coooking spinach on the stove causes it to lose 77% of its nutrient value whereas it loses none when cooked in a microwave!

I'm happy to keep an open mind on most things but I tend to close it more when the evidence supplied is all from natural food supplier sources - the article below says there's no problem at all and that heating food in any way causes a loss of nutrients, regardless of whether it's microwaved or stove cooked. Anyway, I think most diabteics would say to you, I have a problem with insulin resistance, not a problem with nutrient defficency :

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/health/17real.html?_r=0

Microvaves do not destroy nutrients - another urban myth.

Despite what you might read on the Internet, microwaving your food does not "kill" nutrients. In fact, it can make certain nutrients more available to your body .

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/does-microwaving-veggies-kill-nutrients-190700707.html

I had type 2 diabetes about 2.5 years ago, and the only thing that I did was got out any refined sugars, rice, pasta, white bread, cereals and started more excercising. for breakfast I would have my normal breakfast of eggs and a piece of whole wheat bread. My diabetic clinic told me not to drink any type of juices or banana's. Now 2.5 years later I have lost 55kgs and no longer have high blood sugar. Hope this helps

I eat cerial from natures path. Not cheap and it does have sugasr in it. It is made up of organic products. I slice up three bananas into it as they have potassium which my body needs to avoid leg cramps. I put a healthy dose of ground cinammon on it which helps contro; the blood sugar level. since I have added the cinnamon my blood sugar has dropped down to normal. I also take a cinnamon capsule after other meals. Just because my blood sugar level is down it does not mean I don't have diabetes II. I can not eat the chocolate like I used to or drink the sugar enriched juices. I do pay attention to the sugar content in what I buy if it is to high I don't buy it. The wife checks every thing for me when we are in the store or she assigns one of her grand kids to keep an eye out for me. Breakfast is the most important measl of the day. It should contain the most energy giving food possible.

is bacon and eggs ok?

Very much so. Loads of protein - not much (if any?) carbs.

Correct so far as diabetes control goes.

but many diabetics also have dyslipedemia in which cases bacon not a good ides. Since OP indicates his doctor advised vegetable and salads one wonders if he also has elevated LDl cholesterol and/or triglycerides.

Do you Type 2 guys have a better idea, like Musli without sugar? Any brand name you can recommend.

There is a really good brand in Chiang Mai called Funky Monkey that is sweetened with palm sugar which is supposed to be low on the glycemic index. All great inredients and tasty too, but you have to watch your portions. However, it sounds like your doctor wants to reduce your carbohydrates to almost nothing with salads and vegetables. Cereal will not do that.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have diabetes type 2 since 10 years and has been advised by the Doc to eat salad or vegetables for breakfast.

Do you Type 2 guys have a better idea, like Musli without sugar? Any brand name you can recommend. I have looked at Tesco-Lotus and Villa market, but all brands are unknown for me.

Any other breakfast suggestions that keeps your blood sugar low?

Thanks in advance!

I am a medico... now abitof advice which has probably been given... reduce your food intake. Type 2 can be CURED. Itis prevalent with just too much eating in 98% of ALL CASES. Regardless of your weight now... reduce whatyou eat. Carbonated sweet drinks...pre packaged juices...as they haveadded extra sugars ALCOHOL which is high in EVERYTHING white grains..yes rice included because of starch carbo compounds and switch to whole grain...brown rice products.

Do this andwithin 6 months youwill be on track to recovery.

YESIT TAKES AWAY WHAT YOU LOVE TO EAT... but the consequences of this short term pain for LONG TERMGAIN are this... your willy will stop working..blindness..cancer (usually inthe brain) fingers and toes going numb and leading to huge peoblems... and. Could go on.

So just change your diet NOW...lose weight moderately not too fast and go back toa better healthier non problematic life

That's all true except the part about being able to cure Diabetes which is definitely not true. It is possible however to reduce the symptoms and to eliminate blood glucose spikes at a dangerous level through a carefully controlled diet. A program of weight loss at the outset is useful, endocrinologists typically recommend loosing ten per cent of your bodty weight, by doing so you will eliminate most of the fat around your internal organs and in particular eliminate fatty liver, this allows the body to manage glucose better.

One fairly recent and quite prominent theory is that a concentrated weight loss program in the early days of Type II Diabetes, a diet containing no more than 800 calories a day for nine weeks will return the metabolism to NEAR normal, the diabetes will never be cured because it is a progressive disease and once cells die they do not magically get reborn! I actually support that thoery bvecaus eit's more or less what I did albeit by accident and without knowing about that theory. Today I can eat low glycemic carbs, proteins and fat in a balanced and measured way and my blood glucose levels remain well managed. But if I eat a slice of white bread, a cake or similar my levels would skyrocket.

your advice is correct EXCEPT you can cure tyoe 2..not type 1

That's just wrong and shows you don't understand the disease.

Good control does not equal a cure.

If the supposedly cured diabetic goes back to a bad diet, his numbers will go bad again. A normal person can eat what he likes and still post good numbers.

This suggestion, that you can cure type 2 diabetes, does no one any favours, because the supposedly cured person will tend to become sloppy about his diet as he believes that he was cured. If he knows the truth i.e. that he has diabetes under control, he'll always be more careful about what he eats.

I do understand this. I treat it every day at home. You can cure it. Normal people doing the same diet will end up DIABETIC. Why do you think it us tge fastest growing disease of the western world?. Because most eat junk food...heaos of processed food and far far far too much.

Proper diets keeo you CURED. Reverting back you get diabetes back. Everything... I mean Everything. ..in moderation.

Ps I have cured hundreds. If you go back to shit food...you get shit diseases to put it bluntly.

You don't understand the definition or meaning of the word, "cured".

• Like 1

I do understand this. I treat it every day at home. You can cure it. Normal people doing the same diet will end up DIABETIC. Why do you think it us tge fastest growing disease of the western world?. Because most eat junk food...heaos of processed food and far far far too much.

Proper diets keeo you CURED. Reverting back you get diabetes back. Everything... I mean Everything. ..in moderation.

Ps I have cured hundreds. If you go back to shit food...you get shit diseases to put it bluntly.

"proper diets keep you CURED", you say. You claim you're a medico, but it's obvious by this statement you don't understand diabetes and didn't understand a word I said.

It's not difficult for diabetics to show good numbers with proper control, but they are not cured. I diabetic with his blood sugar under control will never be the same as a normal person.

Maybe I do andyou don't. A cure is when that illness is no longer found.... (putting it very simply for you as it is obvious to me you are no doctor sir)

Anything....can relapse.

I dtill practise and own over a dozen clinics in Australia sir. Please don't lecture me until you can validate your professional expertise in such matters. Of course relapsing to bad habits will facilitate the return of any illness

"proper diets keep you CURED", you say. You claim you're a medico, but it's obvious by this statement you don't understand diabetes and didn't understand a word I said.

It's not difficult for diabetics to show good numbers with proper control, but they are not cured. I diabetic with his blood sugar under control will never be the same as a normal person.

Not so. But I will allow you your PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL OPINION.... nice to see so many retired gps here assisting the world

So you think a patient that is cured can relapse eh, what kind of doctor did you say you were!

"A cure is the end of a medical condition; the substance or procedure that ends the medical condition, such as a medication, a surgical operation, a change in lifestyle, or even a philosophical mindset that helps end a person's sufferings. It may also refer to the state of being healed, or cured.

A remission is a temporary end to the medical signs and symptoms of an incurable disease. A disease is said to be incurable if there is always a chance of the patient relapsing, no matter how long the patient has been in remission".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cure

• Like 1

Not so. But I will allow you your PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL OPINION.... nice to see so many retired gps here assisting the world

Please post your statistics ..... are you published ?

I await some raw data, as a 20 year plus- BSc, MPharm(Hons), BPharm, PharmD (Hons) with over 3000 diabetic patients treated/maintained, I've never ever had a patient say they were cured.

It's okay if your data is no more than a sales pitch, I'll read it as a diabetic which I am.......and we can let the forum decide quackery or not with my 2 satang.

• Like 2

Many diabetics are experts in the management of their condition .

There is as yet no "cure" for diabetes.

Most people will easily recognise a Quack !

Do not respond to the provocation(s) !

By ignoring the nonsense the Quack (or Troll) will starve and disappear smile.png

If it persists then a complaint to the mods will ensure its removal !

Edited by Sceptict11
  • Like 1

Back to the topic at hand, the OP asked what diabetics are eating for breakfast:

I'm trying currently to get my head around how I can sucessfully eat toast from time to time but the subject is not an easy one, lots of people market products that appear to be healthy and diabetic friendly but are not, titles such as wholegrain, multi-grain, seven grain abound but most usually have refined flour added and other important ingredients left out.

The one product I can vouch for thus far is an imported bread I can find in Tops made by Mestemcher who make a range of mixed and single ceral breads that are sold in eight and ten slice packages, it's very black and dense and not especially inexpensive at around 179 a pack but it's very diabetic friendly and is especially good when toasted - eat it untoasted with some margarine etc and it's a bit like eating crumbly cardboard, I can eat three/four slices easily without any negative effect on my blood sugar.

Edited by chiang mai

Back to the topic at hand, the OP asked what diabetics are eating for breakfast:

I'm trying currently to get my head around how I can sucessfully eat toast from time to time but the subject is not an easy one, lots of people market products that appear to be healthy and diabetic friendly but are not, titles such as wholegrain, multi-grain, seven grain abound but most usually have refined flour added and other important ingredients left out.

Someone posted about flaxseed bread cooked in a microwave on TV a while ago. I've tried it and while I wouldn't feed the dog with it on its own it's quite a good carrier for cheddar cheese as cheese on toast which I really miss. I also miss fish and chips sad.png