Bangkok: Prominent businessman Chaikiri Srifuengfung commits suicide

webfact

Prominent businessman Chaikiri Srifuengfung commits suicide
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Chaikiri Srifuengfung, a businessman whose family founded Thai-Asahi Glass Plc, reportedly killed himself in a condominium on Sukhumvit soi 31 on Thursday night.

Police said Chaikiri, 69, was found dead on the rooftop of Kiat Thani Mansion City. He had shot himself through the chin with a .38 pistol.

Pol Col Chumpol Phumphuang, superintendent of Thong Lor police station, said an initial examination by a doctor had ruled out foul play.

The preliminary assumption was stress was the motivation behind the suicide, Pol Col Chumpol said.

Chaikiri was the chairman of resort developer Horseshoe Point, which is researching the construction of an Eco Village in Pattaya using renewable power from sunlight, wind and biomass and storing it in a vanadium-redox flow battery to power the development and sell the surplus output to the Provincial Electricity Authority. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/09/20/prominent-businessman-chaikiri-srifuengfung-commits-suicide

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-09-20

"The preliminary assumption was stress was the motivation behind the suicide, Pol Col Chumpol said."

Now the police think they are psychiatrists or psychologists just because they wear a uniform? It is ridiculous for anyone who is not: 1) Trained in mental health; 2) Familiar with the individual and his mental status and 3) Examined all the facts, before coming to a conclusion as to how this person died.

Plus, an autopsy wasn't performed as of yet. So, no one can conclude that this truly was a suicide.

Typical shoddy and irresponsible work by the police again.

Stress. Case closed.

Sad

"The preliminary assumption was stress was the motivation behind the suicide, Pol Col Chumpol said."

Now the police think they are psychiatrists or psychologists just because they wear a uniform? It is ridiculous for anyone who is not: 1) Trained in mental health; 2) Familiar with the individual and his mental status and 3) Examined all the facts, before coming to a conclusion as to how this person died.

Plus, an autopsy wasn't performed as of yet. So, no one can conclude that this truly was a suicide.

Another TV trainee Sherlock, the site is full of them

Edited by darrendsd

I knew this man personally for quite some years.

Focused, with clear visions and yet friendly with a warm heart. Together with the family fortune which he chaired and his Horses in Pattaya which were his retreat I have no idea what makes a man like that to take is own life.

Deeply saddened about this loss I wish the family strength to overcome this difficult time.

I also knew him personally for many years.

He and his family are all very down-to-earth, approachable, and friendly.

I noted that Cherie is the manager at the condo where he died and I hope she did not witness any of this.

A real tragedy.

Condolences to the family.

He and his family....down to earth? Really? I knew hom and his family especially his kids....and I beg to differ. Were you their employee?

No, I was not his employee. Why do you ask, were you?

As another poster said, people react differently to different people.

I to knew this person for many many years, he was a gentleman and I had great respect for him. In business he was always fair and understanding and treated his employees with due respect and they had great admiration for him. I hope he is now at peace wherever he may be, to his family I offer my condolences.

• Like 2

Seeing this from the outside looking in, I don't feel qualified to judge the police investigation. It is easy to prejudge without more information or experience in these matters.

I knew him and he was the kindest, most generous person I have ever met. He was down to earth, approachable, friendly and practiced what he preached. He always tried to make the world a better place for future generations. He was completely selfless in his quest of sharing what was good. I was shocked to hear the news, absolutely devastated. What a loss. He was one of the greats and I wish that he didn't feel the need to do this, he shared so much happiness. I'd hate for anyone to say any less about him. I will never forget his wise words and what I learnt from watching him. Family, education, success.

• Like 1

With no inside information he may have had a terminal diagnosis and took the painless route.

Shooting urself true the chin is hardly painless , neither deadly .

If a gun such as a .38 is placed under the chin and pointed upward toward the brain, it's all over.

I don't have any idea what caused that to happen, but may he RIP.

Could be that a family member told police he'd been very stressed and so they mentioned this. Nothing at all wrong with that. They aren't claiming they know, only their initial assessment. If they didn't say anything, then the trolls would be out saying how it was a cover up. The police just can't win with the thai visa crowd.

You don't have to be trained in mental health to be able to tell that someone is stressed. It's usually pretty easy to tell. Maybe they are familiar with the individual and maybe they did examine the facts.

And maybe it's you that should stop jumping to conclusions without knowing the facts yourself. Seems like you're doing what you think the police shouldn't do.

How exactly do you know that your 3 points above aren't true? I bet you don't know at all.

*Deleted post edited out*

Well said Jon,

I first met him 20 years ago at a R.C. dinner, we both shared a love of horse riding. He was a real gentleman and certainly down to earth. But perhaps not so down to earth as yourself i.e. in the mire with the low lifers.

Edited by Scott
Deleted post edited out

RIP and my deepest condolences to the family in this tragedy.

Nobody knows what happened. When eco energy reformists die there is always the background suspicion on the vested interests who would prefer oil/gas power, and those interests have of course been implicated in the deaths of hundreds of environmentalists and energy-reformists over the years, and the suppression of new forms of clean energy science, in an effort to keep dominant the mummified spectre of the oil industry.

However, nobody knows the circumstances here, maybe he had stress or health problems that caused this tragedy. I would discount the 'he was so ill he wanted to escape the pain' theory, as there are clinics right here in Thailand where morphine etc. can be administered and 24/7 care to make your final years comfortable, if you were indeed very sick. In the case of suicide I would say a sudden and unpredicted stress-related breakdown, which happens a lot and often to people who seemed stable and happy. But obviously the police don't know what happened and neither do we. It is terribly sad, as we lost a good person who seemed to care a lot about protecting his native land from the ravages of the heavily polluting tourist resorts.

I knew him and he was the kindest, most generous person I have ever met. He was down to earth, approachable, friendly and practiced what he preached. He always tried to make the world a better place for future generations. He was completely selfless in his quest of sharing what was good. I was shocked to hear the news, absolutely devastated. What a loss. He was one of the greats and I wish that he didn't feel the need to do this, he shared so much happiness. I'd hate for anyone to say any less about him. I will never forget his wise words and what I learnt from watching him. Family, education, success.

Extremely well said. I too knew him and couldn't have put it better. I'm going to Wat That Thong on Monday and have printed a copy of your quote to give to the family. Thank you.

• Like 1

Extremely well said. I too knew him and couldn't have put it better. I'm going to Wat That Thong on Monday and have printed a copy of your quote to give to the family. Thank you.

My grandmother is a srifuengfung - hopefully I'll see you there?