free standing stoves (cookers)

triffid

I need to buy one of these and would much appreciate comments, recommendations, warnings, experience, etc in relation to what is available in Chiangmai. My budget is around 30k baht.

Homepro has one model, a 'Teka'; Homikitch has one, a Siemens; this is all I've seen.

Many thanks.

I had an EVE that I really liked. It got flooded in 2011.

I bought a gas Siemens after the flood. I am not very happy with it. The stove top burner adjustment is not even. Not much between full on and low.

The oven is hotter in the back than the front and it takes a long time to heat up.

It serves it's purpose but given the choice I would look elsewhere.

Sorry, I am not in CM so no help there.

Had a Siemans - piece of junk and worthless trying to get any service.

Finally dumped it and got an Elba (Italy) but it was a bit more than your budget at 35,000+ Baht. 3 gas burners, one electric. Oven electric. Works just great!

Having a hassle getting some action now that the paint on the oven handle is chipping. So far haven't started to deal directly with Elba and the local (don't think I can name the baking supply company's name here) supplier is giving me the Thai run around.

Before buying the people from Elba in Italy were most helpful so perhaps I'll have to go with them.

Most of the "local" brands I looked at just weren't very good IMO. Loose knobs, poor finish etc.

Good luck!

I had an EVE that I really liked. It got flooded in 2011.

I bought a gas Siemens after the flood. I am not very happy with it. The stove top burner adjustment is not even. Not much between full on and low.

The oven is hotter in the back than the front and it takes a long time to heat up.

It serves it's purpose but given the choice I would look elsewhere.

Sorry, I am not in CM so no help there.

Thanks for your response. Seems Siemens is not getting any recommendations. Wish someone had a comment on Teka, good or bad.

Yok on the superhighway also sells them opposite big c and index

Thanks for the response, fredge, and I've noted your comments about Siemens. I'm presuming you are in Chiangmai and was wondering if you knew other shops than Homikitch and Homepro that sell decent brands.

Yok on the superhighway also sells them opposite big c and index

Thanks for the response, fredge, and I've noted your comments about Siemens. I'm presuming you are in Chiangmai and was wondering if you knew other shops than Homikitch and Homepro that sell decent brands.

Thanks.

I bought my electric Siemens cooker at Siam outside the Moat, near the Chinese Embassy, three years ago and it's always worked well. Only problem was no instruction book in English so contacted service dept Bangkok and they sent me one free within four days. Cost me 25,500 on promotion. Thai wife found it all a bit baffling at first as never used only electric for cooking before but she's well used to it now and says it's the best after using those filthy gas tanks for many years. Worth remembering too that electricity here works out a lot cheaper than using gas for cooking.

I bought my electric Siemens cooker at Siam outside the Moat, near the Chinese Embassy, three years ago and it's always worked well. Only problem was no instruction book in English so contacted service dept Bangkok and they sent me one free within four days. Cost me 25,500 on promotion. Thai wife found it all a bit baffling at first as never used only electric for cooking before but she's well used to it now and says it's the best after using those filthy gas tanks for many years. Worth remembering too that electricity here works out a lot cheaper than using gas for cooking.

Are you sure that electricity is cheaper than gas? I don't think we use up even one 15 kilo tank per month for our gas range. And we use it a lot. And currently the cost of the gas in that tank is 320 baht. Usually, it's gas that is cheaper. And here, it's still subsidized although that is going away. Unless you're using induction burners which are a lot more efficient than standard electric burners. I like gas better for cooking because the heat is instantly adjustable unlike standard electric burners, Again, induction burners also are instantly adjustable. But aluminium cookware won't work on induction burners.

I've read that electric rates vary depending on where you live in Chiangmai. I can't recall the details, though.

I have a stove that has gas burners and an electric oven. Which I think is the ideal combination because electric ovens tend to be more precise in temperature control.

I wish the machine itself were ideal. It's a SMEG. Don't buy one. Oven is great, but the range is a semi-disaster. I'm not the only person who's had problems with SMEG.

I've heard good things about Mex brand.

One thing to look for is if the company has a branch in Chiang Mai. That way you get their technicians instead of some guys from the store that sold it to you.

Global House had some expensive imported stoves last time I was there.

Edited by butterisbetter

Are you sure that electricity is cheaper than gas? I don't think we use up even one 15 kilo tank per month for our gas range. And we use it a lot. And currently the cost of the gas in that tank is 320 baht. Usually, it's gas that is cheaper. And here, it's still subsidized although that is going away. Unless you're using induction burners which are a lot more efficient than standard electric burners. I like gas better for cooking because the heat is instantly adjustable unlike standard electric burners, Again, induction burners also are instantly adjustable. But aluminium cookware won't work on induction burners.

I've read that electric rates vary depending on where you live in Chiangmai. I can't recall the details, though.

I have a stove that has gas burners and an electric oven. Which I think is the ideal combination because electric ovens tend to be more precise in temperature control.

I wish the machine itself were ideal. It's a SMEG. Don't buy one. Oven is great, but the range is a semi-disaster. I'm not the only person who's had problems with SMEG.

I've heard good things about Mex brand.

One thing to look for is if the company has a branch in Chiang Mai. That way you get their technicians instead of some guys from the store that sold it to you.

Global House had some expensive imported stoves last time I was there.

Lots of info there - many thanks. Thanks for warning me off Smeg - though I think it does quite well in sales in England thanks to its design and price attractions. I don't feel tempted to switch to electric burners either though one out of the four would be ok.

Does any of the stove manufacturers have a branch in Chiangmai?

Finally, I'll look in at Global House too.

I have a gas stove top and electric oven made by Teka and have had no problems with them for 5+years. Stove top adjustment could be better but it works, just could be easier to adjust. (the dial has 180 degree range, a little more than 90 of which is lighting so the adjustment is in less than 90 degrees) They have a service center in CM near Pratu Chaang Puak and have fixed my microwave satisfactorily. Parts come from BKK promptly and they have a technician who can handle most things. They have catalogs for viewing the line, pleasant service and you can order from them.

I too wonder about electric being cheaper than gas having used gas for years and never found it expensive. If it is cheaper is can't be by much because gas cooking does not cost much.

I have a gas stove top and electric oven made by Teka and have had no problems with them for 5+years. Stove top adjustment could be better but it works, just could be easier to adjust. (the dial has 180 degree range, a little more than 90 of which is lighting so the adjustment is in less than 90 degrees) They have a service center in CM near Pratu Chaang Puak and have fixed my microwave satisfactorily. Parts come from BKK promptly and they have a technician who can handle most things. They have catalogs for viewing the line, pleasant service and you can order from them.

I too wonder about electric being cheaper than gas having used gas for years and never found it expensive. If it is cheaper is can't be by much because gas cooking does not cost much.

Thanks for this useful info on Teka. Can you tell me more precisely where near Changpuak the Teka service centre with the ordering catalogue etc is, please?

Thanks for this useful info on Teka. Can you tell me more precisely where near Changpuak the Teka service centre with the ordering catalogue etc is, please?

Google "Teka service center chiang mai", if google does not help, try Bing, they have it on the top

Google "Teka service center chiang mai", if google does not help, try Bing, they have it on the top

Googled. Find that they are up at the foot of Doi Suthep. Will ring them to get precise directions etc. A look at their catalogue and prices will be very worthwhile in my search for the right product for me. Thanks for your help.

Googled. Find that they are up at the foot of Doi Suthep. Will ring them to get precise directions etc. A look at their catalogue and prices will be very worthwhile in my search for the right product for me. Thanks for your help.

You are welcome. Do call first because they were not at the foot of Doi Suthep a few months ago.

Hope maybe some can help, am looking for freestanding gas/electric/wood fireplace. Been thinking of building fireplace for 10 yrs and these old boans telling me its time. Have one of them electric heaters from Global but its realy ugly. Any ideas on where I can find something? Phil