Mazda CX5 Thailand Introduction When?

OMGImInPattaya

Yes meant to say crossover as was implied with my comparison to crv and rav4s ive driven outside thailand.

Id consider the Pajero, landcruiser including the prado to be SUVs, much more refined than ute based PPV's although with good ground clearance and proper 4wd the fortuner and especially the pjs can make it far off the bitumen as would an SUV. The PPV's just make a lot more sense compared to the premium of suv's so im happy to live with their BOF limitations. Either way the CX5 is amazing value for money when you consider how underspeced especially for safety the locally produced crv and even the ppv's are. I am hopeful that the next gen of PPV's will come with proper safety kit as ford usually offers a titanium trim with curtain airbags and features more in line with what youd get outside thailand. The 1.8m top of the line camry with a mere 4 airbags comes to mind as an example of how shortchanged the domestic market, makes the cx5 a real attractive proposition even if it was slightly oversold in the performance department.

Edited by Retro Reactive

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The CX-5 looks more somilar to the CR-V / Escape / X-Trail size.

The EcoSport is based on a Fiesta so it is smaller again.

All of these are more Crossovers than SUV's.

The original SUV's were based on pickups like the Thai PPV term.

It may LOOK like a SUV and be marketed as one but it is tiny. Have you ever actually seen one in the metal so to speak. The Honda-escape-xtrail are all much bigger than the cx5. No, it's much more like the ecosport, which is tiny also. The cx5 looks to be based on the 2 platform. I really wanted to like the cx5 but its too small for me...and I don't even have any family!

It may LOOK like a SUV and be marketed as one but it is tiny. Have you ever actually seen one in the metal so to speak. The Honda-escape-xtrail are all much bigger than the cx5. No, it's much more like the ecosport, which is tiny also. The cx5 looks to be based on the 2 platform. I really wanted to like the cx5 but its too small for me...and I don't even have any family!

sorry - complete nonsense, did you ever see the CX 5 in original or test driven it - I did? The size is even with the CRV and is it at least 1 class above the Ford Ecosport

Yep, had a look at a CX-5 on display on the week end. I had an older Escape for many years and the CX-5 did not look too much smaller to me. The Escape and X-Trail are more angular and may look bigger but the dimensions are very similar. They are all around 4.5m long for example. The EcoSport is a foot shorter. Have a look at a Subaru XV and the CX-5 will look big!

The CX-5 might miss out on a little cargo space because of the rear window slope but that was about it from what I could see. Personally I would not buy any of these for space or lugging stuff around. They are good as a family run about but if you want to carry or tow loads, a Fortuner / PJS is much better.

Edited by Jitar

To be fair, I have to admit I liked the abundance of space inside as a driver.

I am quite tall and was pleased to have electric lumbar support for my lower back, decent upper thigh support (although its a shame they didnt have power adjustments on the front passenger seat for at least height and travel),

The telescopic steering and seat travel gives near NBA friendly interior dimensions. The lack of a sunroof although a slight gripe (I actually do use them at night time when on expressway away from traffic and smokey buses) adds additional headroom.

Wish more manufacturers would include a sliding armrest for comfort in traffic (an ommision in the current accord unlike the G7 and G8 accords). I think the trunk is also quite decent Compared to a sedan you ride higher but it wont have the road presence of a PPV or the size of the larger 3 row daewoo/chev captiva. The ecosport is definately smaller than the cx5, i remember thinking how much more street cred the ecosport has over the fiesta it is based on, the subtle styling cues like the decorative roof rack, butch front looks and rear tyre reinforces this presence. the cx5 looks good but not something you would take offroad in the slightest.

Edited by Retro Reactive

Ok...I'm just saying that the cx5 is very small...my first gen CRV seems much bigger, at least in term of cargo space. I was hoping to replace the old Honda wi the new x5 but now I just don't see it.

Is it actually smaller or does it, as you say, feel smaller.. CX-5 cargo bay: 505L - 1620L / CR-V MY 2004-2007: 527L - 1568L / CR-V MY 2007-2010 : 524L - 1532L / CR-V MY 2013: 589L - 1669L

CX-5 wheelbase is 2700 mm, Honda CR-V last 3 generations 2630 mm so interior-space space from the Mazda should be adequate.

Ok...I'm just saying that the cx5 is very small...my first gen CRV seems much bigger, at least in term of cargo space. I was hoping to replace the old Honda wi the new x5 but now I just don't see it.
  • Like 1

Is it actually smaller or does it, as you say, feel smaller.. CX-5 cargo bay: 505L - 1620L / CR-V MY 2004-2007: 527L - 1568L / CR-V MY 2007-2010 : 524L - 1532L / CR-V MY 2013: 589L - 1669L

CX-5 wheelbase is 2700 mm, Honda CR-V last 3 generations 2630 mm so interior-space space from the Mazda should be adequate.

Raw size one can judge by e interior dimension measurements...and the curvaceous as opposed to boxy exterior probably makes it look smaller than it actually is. The passenger areas are probably plenty big...but when I popped open the back there was very little room...maybe the same as in a maz 2 or 3 but with a little more height.

I'm sure the mechanicals, safety features, and interior trim are nice...it's just a stretch IMHO to call the x5 a SUV.

Whats the most generous list of extras available for this car. Im assuming there will be additional incentives at the motorshow next month.

As would expect from a high demand (relative to supply) car, not a lot of enticements.

Free

-Insurance

-Tax

-Plate

-Mat

-Film

currious what else people have managed to score in negotiations, I will see if rust proofing and getting the 30,000 optional 7" with dvd/gps can also be thrown in with some cash discount. Pattaya and more affluent areas will be less likely to give deals like up country or in competitive areas of BKK,

Some say he is Clarkson's Malaysian cousin. All we know is he is not a sunbed salesman.

555 smile.png you left out the "and" bit though, allow me to try:

Some say he is Clarkson's Malaysian cousin, and that he invented power windows. All we know is he is not a sunbed salesman.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got our white 2.2 L Diesel 10 days ago. It replaces our Mazda 3 2.0.

With about the same footprint, the CX-5 has a lot if more space.

The driving experience is great. More fun than the CR-V. The Diesel engine is very powerful. Fuel coma prion after 700 km (urban/sub-urban) 7.2 l per 100 km. The fuel costs are about 30% lower than with the Mazda 3 (9 l per 100 km, E20).post-38989-13860442249107_thumb.jpg

The driving experience is great. More fun than the CR-V. The Diesel engine is very powerful. Fuel coma prion after 700 km (urban/sub-urban) 7.2 l per 100 km. The fuel costs are about 30% lower than with the Mazda 3 (9 l per 100 km, E20).attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1386044222.689524.jpg

Looks nice and I hope you enjoy it. It's a medium sized car (I wouldn't call it an SUV) so I hope you never have much to haul around.

The driving experience is great. More fun than the CR-V. The Diesel engine is very powerful. Fuel coma prion after 700 km (urban/sub-urban) 7.2 l per 100 km. The fuel costs are about 30% lower than with the Mazda 3 (9 l per 100 km, E20).attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1386044222.689524.jpg

Looks nice and I hope you enjoy it. It's a medium sized car (I wouldn't call it an SUV) so I hope you never have much to haul around.

I notice there's a few cars you "wouldn't call an SUV", but so far no-one has taken the bait.

Maybe you should start a new topic to debate the definition of SUV? :)

Seriously Underpowered Vehicles.biggrin.png

Mazda CX-5 2.2. L Diesel: 175 HP, 420 Nm torque for 1540 kgs is not really «underpowered», isn't it? biggrin.png

On Paper No, they are not,but when Thais fill em up with half the Village they are.They cant hold on to a Mitsu Mini on our Mountains. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Seriously Underpowered Vehicles.biggrin.png

Mazda CX-5 2.2. L Diesel: 175 HP, 420 Nm torque for 1540 kgs is not really «underpowered», isn't it? biggrin.png

On Paper No, they are not,but when Thais fill em up with half the Village they are.They cant hold on to a Mitsu Mini on our Mountains. biggrin.png

Whats a Mitsu Mini and why can't the CX-5 hold onto it..... are there many CX-5's in your area AOP ?

You should make a test ride with the CX-5 Diesel. You will feel then the «zoom zoom». The CX-5 has really a big punch and the engine also likes to rev.

The CX-5 Diesel has the same torque as many of the quite heavier pickups and big SUVs (PPVs).

Edited by juehoe

I was wondering why diesel so came to ask and see that you have done what we plan to do; go from 3 to cx5. The advice is 'get the diesel' but it doesn't come from 'petrol heads' so why? The old car is eight years old with about 180,000km on the clock and we seem to have left it too long because it is in for air conditioning repair now, I expect to have the new car for seven years to do similar mileage is the extra 400,000 bt for diesel justified?

Side note: why are diesels more expensive, are they not simpler engines and don't they produce more lethal emmisions?

Congrats !!! Please keep us updated about your impresssions ....Merci

Side note: why are diesels more expensive, are they not simpler engines and don't they produce more lethal emmisions?

Diesel engines are more expensive to manufacture - much stronger and heavier blocks & heads, expensive commonrail systems (though, on par with GDI cost), more expensive emissions control parts in Euro4+ spec ones like this, and they also have turbos and intercoolers which the other CX-5 engines don't have,

Then it all gets multiplied by taxes.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Diesel engines are more expensive to manufacture - much stronger and heavier blocks & heads, expensive commonrail systems (though, on par with GDI cost), more expensive emissions control parts in Euro4+ spec ones like this, and they also have turbos and intercoolers which the other CX-5 engines don't have,

Thanks for that. The more expensive emission controls is interesting. Does that come with an increase in servicing costs, or perhaps dictate an optimum time to keep the car? The a/c is the first problem but I feel now that we should perhaps have stuck to the plan and changed the old car after five years.

Thanks for that. The more expensive emission controls is interesting. Does that come with an increase in servicing costs, or perhaps dictate an optimum time to keep the car? The a/c is the first problem but I feel now that we should perhaps have stuck to the plan and changed the old car after five years.

There's diesel particulate filter (DPF) that will need to be replaced at some stage, but Mazda don't put an official life expectancy on it - it might last 2 years, it might last 10.. They also couldn't give me a price for it when asked. All they said is "it's covered under the 3 year warranty".....

You should make a test ride with the CX-5 Diesel. You will feel then the «zoom zoom». The CX-5 has really a big punch and the engine also likes to rev.

The CX-5 Diesel has the same torque as many of the quite heavier pickups and big SUVs (PPVs).

At last, someone whos seen the Light , well said that Man.

• Like 1

At last, someone whos seen the Light , well said that Man.

Yes very refreshing to have someone speaking from actual experience isn't it AOP.

That's coupled with the fact that they don't benefit from economies of scale in Thailand. Honda's quite happy with the 2.0 and 2.4l CRV because people buy them. The same reason why Toyota knock out the same crappy 1.5l engine and 4 speed gearbox in a Vios as they can as poorly educated consumers still buy it. Until consumers stop buying or until new entrants/competitors change the market we'll still have the same options of not very powerful inefficient engine. Once one major manufacturer changes things and it catches on then its game on!