Organic Thailand

thainomad

Agriculture is Thailand's #1 industry making it the perfect victim for the agro-chemical industry. After WWII, the companies persuaded the majority to buy their products with the illusion of profit increase. Unfortunately, Thais are unanimous in nature. Only a few of the wise, older generation knew the consequences of chemical use and maintained their traditional farming.

About 99% of the food grown in Thailand is inorganic and very toxic. The watermelons are injected with red coloring. Most of the corn is GM. Many farmers apply 2-10 times more pesticides than recommended because they ignore the instructions. Durians are especially drenched. Europe even sent back a case because of the high chemical content. Farmers light fields of sugarcane on fire to burn the dead leaves which makes harvesting easier. If you buy fresh pressed sugarcane juice, it is probably not raw. The market food in Thailand has made me very sick. It is extremely difficult to find organic fruit and veggies in the fresh markets. I knew there was some way to obtain organic. My determination has prevailed.

I am now a member of an organization that is associated with almost every organic farm that exists in Thailand. I have visited several farms and observed their dedication to growing poison-free food. People from about 10 different countries come to attend their training courses on sustainable agriculture. Their website is www.asoke.info Click on Insight Into Santi Asoke.

Right now i am staying in Rayong and Chanthaburi which grow massive amounts of fruit. If you come to one of these provinces in the next 2 months, i can supply you with organic durian, mangosteen, rubutan, dragonfruit, mango, long kong, pineapple, jackfruit, banana, coconut, and other tropical fruits. If you come to another part Thailand now or anytime in the future, i can supply you with organic fruit and vegetables from nearby farms.

Many people come to Thailand wanting to eat organic but dont where to go. They are forced to buy whatever is available in the markets. If you seek out chemical-free food in Thailand, I may be your organic guide.

Is there any place in Pattaya where you can buy organic fruits and vegetables.

I know some of the stuff sold in some of the supermarkets are labeled organic but would like to know if there is a speciality market or store for organic produce in Pattaya?

Agriculture is Thailand's #1 industry making it the perfect victim for the agro-chemical industry. After WWII, the companies persuaded the majority to buy their products with the illusion of profit increase. Unfortunately, Thais are unanimous in nature. Only a few of the wise, older generation knew the consequences of chemical use and maintained their traditional farming.
Fertiliser works mate anyone thats telling you different is quite frankly talking out of their ass. There is probably a much higher percentage of natural fertiliser used here Chicken sh!t and Urea are the biggest two, cow coming behind the both as it tends to promote weeds.
About 99% of the food grown in Thailand is inorganic and very toxic. The watermelons are injected with red coloring. Most of the corn is GM. Many farmers apply 2-10 times more pesticides than recommended because they ignore the instructions. Durians are especially drenched. Europe even sent back a case because of the high chemical content.
Where do you get this info from? Have you seen the cost of pesticides no one in their right mind would put 10X the ammount on.
Farmers light fields of sugarcane on fire to burn the dead leaves which makes harvesting easier. If you buy fresh pressed sugarcane juice, it is probably not raw
It helps drive out the snakes as well and is allmost exclusivly used for processing sugar or rum. The fraction of a percent that goes for sugarcaine juce is usually hand cut without buring. You can get much more per ton without buring but it difficult to find people willing to cut it and more expensive when you do.

Have you ever spent anytime on a farm or are just going off some blurb for an organic marketing company ?

You are both correct from different points of view.

Pesticides and fertilisers will increase the yield for the farmer and he will have more to sell at the market. The mentality that if little is good then more must be better is most likely causing too much fertilizer and pesticide to be used.

From the consumers point of view there is no doubt that pestisides is a health risk. Fertilizers may not be a health risk but is certainly an environmental hazard.

I am not sure what the extra cost is for producing organic food but I am certainly willing to pay the price if I can find it.

Can not see the point in producing toxic food and destroying the environment just for the sake of making it a bit cheaper, not sure how much cheaper as fertilizers and pesticides are quite costly.

Pesticides and fertilisers will increase the yield for the farmer and he will have more to sell at the market. The mentality that if little is good then more must be better is most likely causing too much fertilizer and pesticide to be used.
the first bit is true, the second is unlikly as the margine are so small any farmer using exsessive amounts would probably go out of buissiness. One of the reasons chicken sh1t is used so much is that its cheap. In fact one of the problems here is persuading farmers that they will actually get a return by using fertiliser. We grew peanuts last year. You have to use pestisides/fungisides or basicaly you dont have a crop. Fertiliser was cow manure first, then ploughed in, urea and trace minerals when they just started sprouting.
From the consumers point of view there is no doubt that pestisides is a health risk. Fertilizers may not be a health risk but is certainly an environmental hazard.
depending on the quantities used
I am not sure what the extra cost is for producing organic food but I am certainly willing to pay the price if I can find it.
The problem is that as far as I know The Department of Agraculture has no rules or Laws that govern what can or can not be called "organic" in Thailand, plus given the track record of actually enforcing any Laws here do you really thing they would be up-held ? Anything you are likley to see labled "organic" here is most likley to be a marketing ploy.
Can not see the point in producing toxic food and destroying the environment just for the sake of making it a bit cheaper, not sure how much cheaper as fertilizers and pesticides are quite costly
The point is that farmers in Thailand are not generaly producing "toxic food" to make any inroads into "organic" farming first they would have to define what "organic" was, then people would have to pay the price for it, but whats the point of say me producing organic peanuts and getting half (if that) my usual yield, when jo bloggs down the road can do whatever he wants and still call them "organic"

ACT povides standards and certification for organic produce

http://eng.actorganic-cert.or.th/index.html

But like you say, this is Thailand and you can never be sure what you get.

did you actually read that site :o I down loaded the ACT standerds....total garbage, well at least the farming bit was, looked like it had been writen by some Uni Grad NGO type person who had never set foot onto a farm in his life. Has'nt been ammended since 2003 as well.

Just an other group trying to justify their existance IMO

Agriculture is Thailand's #1 industry making it the perfect victim for the agro-chemical industry. After WWII, the companies persuaded the majority to buy their products with the illusion of profit increase.

also the fact that you can switch fertiliser factories very easy to factories for explosives. That was a gouverment interest in the cold war. And yes the profit increases

Unfortunately, Thais are unanimous in nature. Only a few of the wise, older generation knew the consequences of chemical use and maintained their traditional farming.

wise, older generations knew the consequences?? I have doubts that knowlege about pesticides and fertiliser comes with age"

About 99% of the food grown in Thailand is inorganic and very toxic.

not good for the health if you eat it all the time, yes but very toxic??? What is the LD50 value of your toxic watermelons? How many gram watermelons are needed to kill someone?

The watermelons are injected with red coloring.

never heared that! I would say thats bs

Most of the corn is GM.

that does not mean that it is unhealty

Many farmers apply 2-10 times more pesticides than recommended because they ignore the instructions. Durians are especially drenched. Europe even sent back a case because of the high chemical content.

no doubt about that, just 10 times sounds very expensive

Farmers light fields of sugarcane on fire to burn the dead leaves which makes harvesting easier. If you buy fresh pressed sugarcane juice, it is probably not raw.

beside that it is stupid but common to burn leaves, it is not a problem for the health.

The market food in Thailand has made me very sick.

what did you get exactly?

It is extremely difficult to find organic fruit and veggies in the fresh markets. I knew there was some way to obtain organic. My determination has prevailed.

depends on the market and area, in some places no problem if you know about it

I am now a member of an organization that is associated with almost every organic farm that exists in Thailand.

So you know every backward farmer in Kwai-buri? Every old granni, who sell the bananas from her hugh land, where she just take them before they are falling down? You must know millions of farms, impressive

I have visited several farms and observed their dedication to growing poison-free food.

what poision now? Usually I don't like poision in my food.

People from about 10 different countries come to attend their training courses on sustainable agriculture. Their website is www.asoke.info Click on Insight Into Santi Asoke.

religion and farming are two different kind of shows.....

Right now i am staying in Rayong and Chanthaburi which grow massive amounts of fruit. If you come to one of these provinces in the next 2 months, i can supply you with organic durian, mangosteen, rubutan, dragonfruit, mango, long kong, pineapple, jackfruit, banana, coconut, and other tropical fruits. If you come to another part Thailand now or anytime in the future, i can supply you with organic fruit and vegetables from nearby farms.

as it is a religous thing I hope you sell at non-profit prices. Anyway you don't need such evil capitalistic things like, cars, mobile phone, as well no fertiliser. So I think it is even cheaper than on the market.

Many people come to Thailand wanting to eat organic but dont where to go.

I would buy organic food, beside that I don't like your post, I love good food and maybe you can sell me something.

They are forced to buy whatever is available in the markets.

lucky me: today I bought some beer and looked at the food in tops supermarket. The security man looked dangerous, but lucky me he did not force me to buy something.

Maybe he force Thai people but can not speak enough english to force me :D

If you seek out chemical-free food in Thailand, I may be your organic guide.

mail me your price list :D

Else:

:D for my cynical post but it is :D and :o should be in the commerical buy and sell section

No RC I did not really read the site, had a quick look but I'm not an expert and trust you are correct.

Anyway, the idea of non toxic, organic food makes sense somehow. The NGO's are helping even if they often can be a pain but like you say what really is needed is some action from The Department of Agraculture.

• 2 weeks later...

The main center of Asoke is in Bangkok shared with the Vegetarian Socieity of Thailand. They have a vegan restaurant that serves 100% organic food. The address is:

67/48-49 Soi Nawamin 44-46

Thanon Nawamin

Khlonggum Bunggum Bangkok 10240

Tel. 02-374-5230 ex. 164

The organic store is located right next it. It has the biggest selection of organic fruits and vegetalbes i have seen in Thailand. The restaurant is open from 6am to 2pm and closed Mondays. I dont know what the hours are for the store but it is probably similar.

My Thai wife comes home from the local fresh market with loads of fresh vegetables. The vegetable are riddled with holes and don't look very appetizing. There are vendors there who sell beautiful looking vegetables. I asked her why she doesn't buy the nicer looking produce and her simple answer was that if the bugs don't want to eat those vegetables that she doesn't want to eat them either. :o

My Thai wife comes home from the local fresh market with loads of fresh vegetables. The vegetable are riddled with holes and don't look very appetizing. There are vendors there who sell beautiful looking vegetables. I asked her why she doesn't buy the nicer looking produce and her simple answer was that if the bugs don't want to eat those vegetables that she doesn't want to eat them either. :o

Interesting comment there. My wife is very wary of the veggies in Loei - apparantly they are grown by farmers who won't eat their own vegetables - because they know how much chemicals are put on them...

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out the hours for the organic store next to the restaurant. 6-11am, closed 9-11 for brunch, and reopen from 11-4pm.

If you would like to make a large order the farms can probably deliver to you anywhere in Thailand.

• 5 months later...

My reason for wanting to have my own organic setup sooner rather than later.

I have heard all the same stories and not secong hand from paranoid farangs, my missus gets it from the market, from the people who sell the shit at times.

Certailnly heard the watermelon story before, also a chemical that is given to pork to make it look healthier, richer in colour than it actually is.

Anyway, true or not, I care enough for my kids to try something different.

I also think that many thai farmers would not give a toss about what they put on their produce, when it is going to sell and make them some cash to feed their family. At the end of the day there are people out there that would do this to survive and that combined with little knowledge on current chemicals and the good and bad side of them, is a dangerous situation.

I also read about a group of organic farmers which arranged for their food to be delivered to members of its 'club' so to speak. Could this be a possibility here, with the OP organising it and maybe turning it into a biz for himself. But only if he is not a vegan.....needs the energy.

Well, I have to agree with H90. I smell more of an advertisement and a rant with unsubstantiated facts, than an actual concern for people's health here. I myself am an organic farmer - or have been back in the USA. I compost -hot compost - and have even done some vermiculture. I'm all for it. And in fact am trying to be in contact with the right Thai organizations to help spread similar programs here. It will do alot of good for the Thai people, their land, and all of us who eat the produce, no doubt.

But as for all the 'food made me very sick' claims....I'm not so sure. Thousands of Thais are not dropping dead from poisioning. Nor are people intestinally sick here all the time. Perhaps you are just sensitive - ac ondition that follows you wherever you go. As for injecting watermelons, I've heard this before. Who, Where ? How many baht per melon ? You know a pierced melon dribbles juice, which attracts fruit flies like nothing. They decay quickly. It seems anybody with a little experience around watermelons would have the common sense to see through this argument. It would be watermelon-cide, and create a huge loss in profits. Granted that pesticides are used, but how much is still a topic for debate.

H90 has a good point in addition, that so much Thai produce is sold by Mom n Pop types who just pick their backyard Kanoon, Coconuts, Durian, and Bananas, and then sell it at market without ever having exposed it to any chemicals at all. Same goes for backyard gardeners too. This accounts for alot of produce in markets here. Sure there is comercially farmed produce with pesticides, but this is EVERYWHERE around the world.

So, as far as organic produce, there is one GIANT ORGANIC PRODUCE SUPPLIER, that someone not advertising should have mentioned, and that is Doi Kham organic produce, supplied by the Royal Project, under the support and supervision of His Majesty, the King. The ROyal Project produces tons of organic produce for great prices every year. It was begun 36 years ago as a research opportunity to help eradicate opium growth by the Hilltribes, and persuade them to gorw sustainable, profitable crops. This was then seen as a further benefit for the Thai people by improving land use and food supply as well. It's a very well thought out program which has had the help of many top scientists and world leaders throughout the program's history. It is also part of the reason His Majesty was given a UN award this last year.

They market the organic produce - including coffee, sugar snap pees, thyme, smoked trout, the list goes on !! - under the name "Doi Kham." Most of the products are grown in the Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai regions of the country, but the Royal Project reaches throughout the country these days and ties together many farms that offer superior and organic products. You can find Doi Kham stores in Chiang Mai Airport, and there was also a branch in Don Muang Airport. I suspect Suvannabhumi Airport has one too, but not sure. In Chiang Mai, Tesco Lotus now sells their produce too. It is beautiful stuff. The Thais who know to seek it out for its frieshness, taste, and natural vitamin content. I don't have a list but I know that Doi Kham produce is sold throughout the country now, especially around major cities. Look for it by name, and support the intelligent efforts of His Majesty.

And I especially recommend the Lychee Jam ! It's the best on a piece of crusty bread. Also makes a great gift for friends when you travel home - small jars with just enough to make your friends happy and feel the exoticness of where you live.

Here's a link I found with a little more info, but you are all welcome to google more yourself and post a list of stores if you can find it.

http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/vines/...istory9.htm#mar

There you go, Doi Kahm is self-serve, you don't have to contact anybody to get it. You just go find it yourself.

Cheers

Anybody tried the Japanese apricots....I love apricots, hate the Israeli ones but and some of the California ones.

Also what is the average price cost over normal produce. Organic produce has always been priced higher where ever I have been, so just wondering what the percentage might be on average if anyone knows ?

realthaideal-glad to read your post.

I'm not stuck on the word organic and if lots of it is Mum and Pop type stuff that is cleaner thats all I want. :o

Mum and Pop meat etc available?

As I'm sure you know Monsanto is in Thailand (I did a check) so that alone says watch out for the chemicals (and the lies).

On thier site you can read articles on how GM is good for you!!!!!! crazy crazy bs

Its sad that the Thais are copying the sickly west.

Meat?? - grass fed non-medicated prefferably, if not organic a second. And I am not so concerned with certifications as to how its raised etc

Thanks!! feel better heading out that way again.

• 11 months later...
Their website is www.asoke.info Click on Insight Into Santi Asoke.
The main center of Asoke is in Bangkok shared with the Vegetarian Socieity of Thailand. They have a vegan restaurant that serves 100% organic food. The address is:

67/48-49 Soi Nawamin 44-46

Thanon Nawamin

Khlonggum Bunggum Bangkok 10240

Tel. 02-374-5230 ex. 164

SPAM

• 4 weeks later...

As someone who goes through literally tons of fruit a day, I would be interested in any organic suppliers who can provide wholesale, daily at a market price (bangkok). PM me and as an fyi, we do check our suppliers...

On a seperate note, I have personally visited several farms in the Chiang mai area, which are run under the royal project and while I am not a farmer, and do not have x ray eyes, it looked as natural as can be. Also, I have been to the packing plant of the royal project in Chiangmai and they have a 100% HaCCP compliant facility and no, they didn't know who I was, or if I was coming.

Remember to keep your mind open, as that is lacking some times in this board and country...

Edited by hotgeekus

• 1 month later...
Hello anyone reading this, I need 60 kilo of fresh organic chicken a month. Can anybody give me a number for a farmer who can supply me?

Would be great and save me a lot of money buying from a small organic shop I visit twice a week.

I just sent this to you on your other post as well:

Hi, My name is Christian Shearer. I run a sustainable education center about 60km north of Chiang Mai, called the Panya Project. www.panyaproject.org We are currently in the process of working chickens into our system, and would love to be your supplier. We are not ceritified organic, and neither would the chicken be, but you are welcome to come to our farm and see that we make our own compost, use a ton of mulch on our veggies, and stay as far away as we can from any of the industrial poisons and medications that are generally used to produce vegetables and meats.

We will soon start a pastured poultry project integrated into our farm, so that the chickens would be kept in a mobile pen, but still have access to fresh pasture every day. This raises their nutrition, their overall health, and improves flavor. It is a step beyond even the industrial organic model of chicken rearing.

I am currently away from the farm, but will be back by the end of January, and would be happy to discuss this with you more.

Feel free to e-mail me at the farm's e-mail address: [email protected]

Best to you, and thanks for supporting the organic food movement.

Christian Shearer

This might be of interest to all who are talking on this thread. It was taken from a site called: www.aqsolutions.org

The newest editions of two of AqueousSolutions’ papers are available for download from the Resources page: Pesticide Use in Thailand and the US: Ecological and Human Health Effects, and Agrichemicals of Concern in Northern Thailand.

These docs are packed full of all kinds of factoids, tid-bits and statistics you don’t wanna know about the insane degree to which we’re poisoning ourselves and our environments with toxic agri-chemicals.

Some highlights from the reports:

At latest count, out of the 58 pesticide products we’ve identified as commonly used in Thailand and in our region here in the north around Pun Pun Farm in particular…

32 are moderately to highly acutely toxic to humans

14 are possible human carcinogens, and 9 are known human carcinogens

15 are cholinesterase inhibitors (indicating neurotoxicity)

19 are suspected endocrine disruptors

8 are reproductive or developmental toxins

30 are classified as “Bad Actors” by the Pesticide Action Network

and 19 represent known or potential threats to groundwater contamination.

Our big emphasis at AqueousSolutions is to develop drinking water purification systems that are DIY (Do-It-Yourself) and affordable to most people in the world. Well check this out:

A 1988 report estimated that nearly one-half of the ground water and well water in the United States is or has the potential to be contaminated by pesticides. A 1992 report calculated that if monitoring and cleanup activities were carried out in the US such that all pesticide-contaminated groundwater were cleared of pesticides before human consumption, the total cost would be approximately $1.8 billion annually.

That’s a lot of money! Chances are, Aqueous’ designs for inexpensive, DIY water filtration systems could provide safe water for folks in the US for way, way less than $1.8 billion a year.

Providing clean water, promoting self-reliance and saving taxpayers a boatload is what AqueousSolutions is all about!

About 99% of the food grown in Thailand is inorganic and very toxic. The watermelons are injected with red coloring. Most of the corn is GM. Many farmers apply 2-10 times more pesticides than recommended because they ignore the instructions. Durians are especially drenched. Europe even sent back a case because of the high chemical content.

Your sources, thainomad?