The AirAsia website is designed to rip you off

Pinot

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While not a fan of their website I am happy with the company. Back in March I booked a ticket. Their website info for the flight had not been updated to reflect their change in departure times to 1 hour earlier. I arrived 1 hour and five minutes early for my flight walked up to the counter and explained to the shocked agents that I was checking in. The guy said they didn't have a 10AM flight. After several minutes of checking the computer he found that I was booked on the 9AM flight that had just been changed from the 10AM flight. They rushed me through the airport, opened the door of the plane for me and got me to a seat while the plane taxied to the runway. So, I walked in to the airport minutes before takeoff and they still got me on. Not exactly with a smile, more of an anoyed expession, and the girl who ran me through security and the gate to the plane politely explaining that I should arrive early for a flight as if I had no idea that I couldn't just step on at the last minute like it was a bus. I was very impressed with them. If I was them I would have just said "sorry you missed the flight".

I fully agree with the OP on this one. I have rarely been as frustrated as when I've used the AirAsia website. It really does seem to be carefully designed to confound the casual user and, I would even say, "trick" them into buying some of the "unbundled" items. As a consequence I've already taken some of the other posters' advice and always look elsewhere before even considering AirAsia.

RS

• Like 2

I fully agree with the OP on this one.  I have rarely been as frustrated as when I've used the AirAsia website.  It really does seem to be carefully designed to confound the casual user and, I would even say, "trick" them into buying some of the "unbundled" items.  As a consequence I've already taken some of the other posters' advice and always look elsewhere before even considering AirAsia.

RS 

It is my same opinion despite the fact that prices are good if booked in advance and I've never had delays. It does get on your nerves if you want to cancel the insurance but, once learned the trick, it is not an hassle anymore.

AirAsia is one of the few airlines that tell you about the extra taxes and charges (airport tax, fuel tax etc) before you book your ticket. As well as being upfront, they have loads of flights and they are really cheap.

I suppose one of the reasons that they are so cheap is that many of their passengers, accidentally or otherwise, pay for some of their extra services. I'm not complaining.

• Like 2

I agree with the OP, Air Asia would not get away with it in the western world, hence why they were fined a few hundred thousand dollars in Australia for being dodgy.

I cancelled a flight with them once and they would not refund my airport tax. I told them that the airport tax is not Air Asia's and it is refundable. After a bit more chat they then agreed that it is in fact refundable but as I had paid by credit card then they would refund by credit card.

A month went by, nothing. Finally found someone to talk to on the phone and he said that I could have the refund as a credit on my next flight. I agreed.

6 months later I book a flight only to find there is no credit for the refund. I call again only to be told they have no record of it.

It wasn't much, but just the principle of being ripped off.

Never again.

Here we go again! Time for the "monthly moan" about Air Asia. coffee1.gif

I don't find Air Asia's website that complicated, nor do I find it a ripoff, blatant or otherwise. Air Asia is good at what it is; A low-cost regional airline.

AirAsia has some nice low fares if you can book far in advance and can be flexible in your travel dates. That way you can get the "Promo" fares. The deal is the cheap Promo fare is just for you and a carry-on bag. Everything else (like meals, checked baggage, seat selection, etc) is extra. There is no "trick" to it. You just decline the extras as you step through the booking process.

Just last month I booked a round trip flight Chiang Mai <--> Bangkok for a total of 2358.60 baht including airport tax, credit card fee of 180 baht, and VAT. I'm just taking my carry-on bag, and for a one-hour flight I don't need a meal and I don't care what seat I'm in. Works for me!
I used AirAsia last year for round-trip flights Chiang Mai <--> Phuket and Chiang Mai <--> Bangkok. No problems. The day prior to the flights I did a web check-in and printed out the "boarding pass". At the airports, went straight to the boarding gates, no problem.
  • Like 2

They are no different from Easy Jet and Ryan Air all budget airline prices are gimmicks, if you dont like dont use if we all take this stance they will get the message and change, the thing is these airlines are convenient and fly to a lot of places the big boys dont, so i ithink its a case of shut up or get a bus

• Like 1

I find other airlines to be more customer friendly with their web sites. Definately AirAsia preys on users "tricking" them to click on the wrong answer for NOT wanting the insurance; the extra baggage; or seating. One needs more time and to be awake (sober) when booking with Air Asia. This company has so much going for it (new ideas and such) that it is a pity that it has to have such a scum-bag booking website.

Since I live in Thailand, I learned the lesson, that complaing and worrying is useless in Thailand and In SEA generally.

Yes, the companies are different from a Western country, and complaining is useless too.

But if you really have a problem you get help. I once got a ticket refunded, minus the cancellation fee, because I sent them the paper from the doctor, that I had a hospital treatment. I had to fight to get someone on the phone, but after that obstacle, they helped me and refunded.

I agree with you, that they want to sell a lot of add-ons, but I fly often with them and just learned, which buttons to click to avoid it all. And the flights are almost always reliable and the quality ok.

• Like 1

I find other airlines to be more customer friendly with their web sites. Definately AirAsia preys on users "tricking" them to click on the wrong answer for NOT wanting the insurance; the extra baggage; or seating. One needs more time and to be awake (sober) when booking with Air Asia. This company has so much going for it (new ideas and such) that it is a pity that it has to have such a scum-bag booking website.

Some hotel bookers do much the same, ie book with Agoda, and you get the room price, then the small print says plus tax. Better not deal with those sort of people. What is wrong with stating the complete price to start with?

i agree that AA is a pain in the ass but you can bypass all their tricks. just stay cool and think "logic".

Try doing a booking for a group of 8 people like I had to do once.... and if you don't do it quick enough you just get logged out and have to start over again with all the un-clicking of each and every item that is just added and you don't need....

I agree with the just press cancel for the insurance post, but also the change in flight times without updating their website. They don't accept domestic credit/debit cards blink.png whereas the rest of the world does, so took myself along to my nearest agent to find the fare had magically increased by 1700 baht. I've heard you can pay at 7/11's. How? Can't see that option on their page.

Edited by jpeg