Greasing the Long Shaft - How to Do

David48

Greasing the Long Shaft - How to Do - When to Do

post-104736-0-85933800-1379933359_thumb.

One of the main transport options at the Farm is the Long Tail Boat.

Keeping that shaft properly lubricated is vital to the efficient operation of the machine.

The Farm Father explains how ... that is if you speak Thai ... if not ... just watch what he does.

• Like 1

Bit of tongue in cheek there David, by the way what is the motor, looks VW,ish.

Thailand definitely me to be less PC ... rolleyes.gif

As for the motor ... not sure.

It's a 'boxer twin' with 1800 separation.

There is no liquid cooling system.

I think there are heat sink fins on the heads.

This is what it sounds like when it fires up ...

In Part 2, at 1:33 he said "...people who are lazy won't do it like this, they will just use a grease gun..."

You see what he is using is a standard threaded grease cup, tightening down the cup pushes the grease into the shaft contact point and ball-bearings encasement, and you need to do it cup by cup. It's alright when he only have one long tail shaft...

But if you have 6 long tail pipes and 6 Honda engines like me and 3 contact points on each long tail shaft, 5 cups in each contact point... that's one hell of a maintenance work.facepalm.gif I switched the grease cups for grease nipples and pump in the grease with the grease gun. In my case, it is not a matter of laziness...it's about working smart, being productive and putting time into good use. thumbsup.gif

That's a top range quality grease he's using by the way, Trane HT Grease (colourless,translucent). Expensive stuff, 1kg container retail for ฿170, 2kg container retail for ฿330 and 5kg bucket retail for ฿710......because I'm selling them. laugh.png

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1

I had not thought of the grease cup method in years. The water pumps on tractors used to be set up this way for lubrication. Grease fittings, better quality bearings, and the lubricant itself have improved immensily over the past decades. How many of you have seen the wooden blocks with grease fittings?

I see methods and equipment used here in Thailand, that I have not seen since I was a pup on the farm, pulling implements designed for horses, behind a W 30 steel wheel International tractor.

How many of you have seen the wooden blocks with grease fittings?

I know what you mean ... but some of the best (and cheapest) engineering solutions are also the simplest.

post-104736-0-58108700-1379980320_thumb.

It's the standard still round this Farm.

Just check out the length of the welded pipe driveshaft.