Brit v Brit Bar Brawl over unpaid bill in Central Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd sure like to see the bill...

Either a very expensive bar or a pair with a remarkable capacity for alcohol.

Exactly. Or they went crazy ringing the bell?

5.660 is a sizable tab for most beer bars. A go-go would be a different matter...

Years ago I ran a bar in Pattaya. A customer had a very good time over several hours. Hourly we told him how much his bill was. At the very end of the night, the customer pulled out hundred dollar bills and said "How much is that in real money". Paid the bill and was back in the next evening, and several evenings after that. I saw the customer 2 weeks ago, he asked 'Have you met my son"?

Good customer :)

I am glad to see that not only Russians have alcohol issues.

That's right - most countries sadly have people with alcohol problems. However, there is a difference between those who have succumbed to a dangerous drug and allow it to blight their lives and those who use it for recreation that turns into violent thuggish behaviour.

In either case, it's a somewhat strange reaction to "be glad" that people have issues with alcohol. Schadenfreude ?

yes. Schadenfeude is too generous.

One should recognise also the powers of observation and reason in support of personal happiness . .

The law of attraction probably determines that people that drink the most alcohol, are attracted to a the most alcoholic country in Asia.

I love Thailand and I like a "quiet" drink every now and then, but these are the sodden facts.

It's not hard to run a bill up like this just ring the bell !! done it loads of times pissed up !! Thinking I'm in a good bar and in good company to find I have bought every one a drink at lady drink prices including the cleaner and the other ten people I have not noticed all night :) just pay and don't go back

Never run a TAB even if the insist.

100% right. First year I was here, went with the tab system as I assumed it was the done thing. But after a few nights out began to think, "hello, where did that 5,000B go to". Assuming even an expensive Singha at 120B each, that is one hell of a lot of Singha and I know I don't have that sort of capacity for alcohol. So I have now told the few Bars I go in to, "I order and get beer and pay straight away - no bar tab". They don't like it, but the option is I don't go there, so they have now come around to what I want and lo and behold, the next morning I wake up and have spent a damn site less than previously. Fellow imbibers make note to self in diary!thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Bar Owner Punched by a British Tourist

A British tourist punches the owner of a bar after being asked to pay his bill, however the son of the owner was able to catch hold of the tourist.

PATTAYA- September 23, 2013 [PDN]; at about 3 AM police received reports of a tourist who denied paying the drink bill and punched the owner of the bar leaving him with a swollen eye and bruises around his body. The incident occurred at Big Easy bar located in Soi Bua Khao behind the Kasikorn bank.

At the incident Mrs.Kaewrin 67 years old the owner of the bar was performing first aid on Mr. Robert 70 years old, a German citizen and her husband whose right eye were swollen and most parts of his body were bruised after being attacked by the tourist. The son of the bar owner was able to catch hold of him. It was identified that the suspect is Mr. Jim Margetts, British citizen who was found drunk.

After inquiring Mrs. Kaewrin she claimed that the suspect Mr. Jim visited her bar with a few of his friends. After a while his friend made their way out and when Mr. Jim asked for the bill, a slip of 5,660 baht was shown to him but he denied paying.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/09/24/bar-owner-punched-by-a-british-tourist/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-09-24

no mate, you dont get it... so many farang <deleted> come to these bars for getting drunk themselves (of course), but they pay more to the bargirls drink than their own drinks !!! And then they are surprised when they get the bill.... coffee1.gif

Few bars i know in Pattaya had their Tabs unpaid. They were locals (Expat Falangs) , One was <deleted> INN bar at LK Metro Pattaya with tab unpaid of 12,000 bt. He was a local but not anymore, he is in the hiding in the darkside bar. Usually the bars willing to take the credit until the end of the month. They all end up getting overpaid credit unpaid.

what a load of nonsense - i didn't punch anyone, i guess they added about 5,000 to my bill because i was an easy target, drunk and alone! whether you believe it or not - please stay away from this bar, they're a bunch of crooks. i have broken ribs, several cuts and bruises all over after being jumped on by a load of locals nearby, i am forced to pay their bill and then they try to make me look like the bad one. i guess they needed a reason for beating the hell out of me so they came up with the punching the 70 yo story. gotta love pattaya!

Never run a TAB even if the insist.

100% right. First year I was here, went with the tab system as I assumed it was the done thing. But after a few nights out began to think, "hello, where did that 5,000B go to". Assuming even an expensive Singha at 120B each, that is one hell of a lot of Singha and I know I don't have that sort of capacity for alcohol. So I have now told the few Bars I go in to, "I order and get beer and pay straight away - no bar tab". They don't like it, but the option is I don't go there, so they have now come around to what I want and lo and behold, the next morning I wake up and have spent a dam_n site less than previously. Fellow imbibers make note to self in diary!thumbsup.gif

Even better,count/check your barbill yourself,and count in thai,promise u,that bar will never try to rip you off in the future

what a load of nonsense - i didn't punch anyone, i guess they added about 5,000 to my bill because i was an easy target, drunk and alone! whether you believe it or not - please stay away from this bar, they're a bunch of crooks. i have broken ribs, several cuts and bruises all over after being jumped on by a load of locals nearby, i am forced to pay their bill and then they try to make me look like the bad one. i guess they needed a reason for beating the hell out of me so they came up with the punching the 70 yo story. gotta love pattaya!

Your right at the moment it sounds like you are the bad one so can we have a detailed version of what happened. It would be nice to hear your side of the story.

Ever heard of lady drinks?

Ah, 'lady drinks'. The scam perpetrated by lowlife scumbags who rely on prey rather than customers?

Yes, I've heard of those.

You may have heard of them but you obviously know nothing about them or how the system works.

I know how it works, you buy a lady drink approx. 150 bath (containing red water), the lady use 5 sec. to finish it and then ask for another one, and one more until you tell her to get lost, all scam bah.gif

• Like 1

Sounding more like a clip joint than a bar...

And the plot thickens. Thanks for sharing your side of the story.

Your right at the moment it sounds like you are the bad one so can we have a detailed version of what happened. It would be nice to hear your side of the story.

ok - for what it's worth - me and my friend had about 2 or 3 drinks, then he went back to his apartment, i stayed alone and had a few more then was going to go home so i asked for the bill. the bill was a bit crazy to say the least so i refused to pay it. the next thing - someone (i didn't get to see him but there were a load of local people playing snooker right beside me) gets me by the neck and drags me to the floor where i get strangled and kicked many many times - after this i don't remember much, i think i blacked out as i had many kicks to the head, the next thing i remember was an ambulance guy waking me up on the floor. the police showed up too and eventually took me to the police station soi 9. the old thai lady from the bar was there and was giving a statement i think - i didn't even get to say anything, they just asked me to sign which i stupidly did - just wanted to get the hell out of there.

if i had beaten up a 70 year old man - why did they let me get away with it and not press charges? does that seem likely? also where are the pictures of this man with all his injuries? i am not a violent person. i am not a tourist either, i have lived close by for several years with my family. i have heard about these things happening but not experienced it myself personally. now i have. believe it or not that's what happened. cheers.

ok - for what it's worth - me and my friend had about 2 or 3 drinks, then he went back to his apartment, i stayed alone and had a few more then was going to go home so i asked for the bill. the bill was a bit crazy to say the least so i refused to pay it. the next thing - someone (i didn't get to see him but there were a load of local people playing snooker right beside me) gets me by the neck and drags me to the floor where i get strangled and kicked many many times - after this i don't remember much, i think i blacked out as i had many kicks to the head, the next thing i remember was an ambulance guy waking me up on the floor. the police showed up too and eventually took me to the police station soi 9. the old thai lady from the bar was there and was giving a statement i think - i didn't even get to say anything, they just asked me to sign which i stupidly did - just wanted to get the hell out of there.

if i had beaten up a 70 year old man - why did they let me get away with it and not press charges? does that seem likely? also where are the pictures of this man with all his injuries? i am not a violent person. i am not a tourist either, i have lived close by for several years with my family. i have heard about these things happening but not experienced it myself personally. now i have. believe it or not that's what happened. cheers.

You are asking for sympathy and/or understanding when you signed what probably amounted to a confession? Sorry chappie, you won't get any from me.

Well I am inclined to believe you. I understand how much pressure you were under to sign a statement. I hope you can continue to enjoy living here after your injuries have healed.

Ever heard of lady drinks?

Ah, 'lady drinks'. The scam perpetrated by lowlife scumbags who rely on prey rather than customers?

Yes, I've heard of those.

There is no scam in the theory of buying lady drinks. For the price of a drink you get the company of a lady (or ladyboy if you are so inclined) for as long as it takes her to drink it. Seems like a good deal to me. Yes there are scams but these can easily be avoided if you ask the right questions.

ladydrinks are more expensive than your drink even if its same drink ..she gets a cut from each one drank .. its a scam , no getting away from it ..

do you want to run a tab? the first 3 drinks are FREE!!

oh, sure...that sounds great. you seem very nice.

#3 hours later: bill, 40,000 baht.

what???!!!!

listen, our rules state: if you accept 3 free drinks, you buy ladies drinks for 3 hours. now pay or i call my friends and police!!!

haha

I imaging it was the principle and not the amount that was the issue.

Of course, the principle being blown out of all proportion courtesy of both parties being hammered..

"Of course, the principle being blown out of all proportion courtesy of both parties being hammered."

Had he been Thai, someone would get his knickers in a knot going on about "saving face." When it's a farang, it's a question of principles and when it's a Thai it's saving face ... not that there's really any difference between the two or in the pointless posturing that sets it into motion.

Im inclined to think that Squeezer is telling the truth here, unfortunately this is the way many Thais operate in Pattaya, seems they made a mistake attacking someone that lives here rather then a passer through and hopefully they will pay for it

• Like 1