Thailand: Bt2.28 bn seized from drug traffickers in two years

webfact

Bt2.28 bn seized from drug traffickers in two years
The Nation

30215520-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Authorities have confiscated assets worth more than Bt2.28 billion from drug traffickers over the past two years, exceeding the target of Bt2 billion.

The haul of drugs has also exceeded the target.

According to the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB), 180 million methamphetamine tablets, 708 kilograms of heroin and 25,000kg of marijuana were seized during the period.

In the past two years, more than 700,000 drug abusers have undergone drug-rehabilitation programmes.

"Yet, the spread of drugs continues," ONCB deputy secretary-general Permpong Chaovalit said yesterday.

He said some people who had completed rehabilitation programmes were found to have returned to using illicit drugs. Permpong said in 2014, the ONCB would seek cooperation from foreign nations and international organisations such as the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime in suppressing drug trafficking.

He said the ONCB was very concerned about the spread of crystal meth-amphetamine.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-24

and yet not one MR BIG has been nicked...i wonder why

Because they are the ones in the Police and Govt.

There's also the slight matter of seizures that are never officially recorded and find their way back into the trafficking chain.

I also enjoy footage of boxes of drugs etc being destroyed by fire, well the boxes at least are but what, if anything, is insdie is another question.

The Thais throw around these numbers and photos to "prove" that they are on top of it. The numbers and value is never validated and disclosed how and what was the basis used to establish those numbers. Second thing is Thais don't realize that everyone knows that they never haul off and bust a Thai Mr. Big. So how do they expect to remain credible that they are serious about stopping drugs? Even more laughable is the Thai press and their failure to note this conspicuous absence of Thai Mr. Big busts.

"In the past two years, more than 700,000 drug abusers have undergone drug-rehabilitation programmes."

If you are going to make up statistics...How about 7,000,000.

There is no possible way the Thai university system turns out enough substance abuse professionals to work effectively with 700,000 people identified as drug abusers.I would like to see what is considered to be a "drug-rehabilitation program " in Thailand. Just another example of making up statistics to make a government agency look good.wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

• Like 1

There's also the slight matter of seizures that are never officially recorded and find their way back into the trafficking chain.

I also enjoy footage of boxes of drugs etc being destroyed by fire, well the boxes at least are but what, if anything, is insdie is another question.

Well. I was just sure that it all went up in smoke. tongue.png

What happens to the revenue from seized assetts.

Does it go to help the poor or ( silly of me to ask ) the hi so in government circles.

2 bn baht would help update the hospitals

Just love posters with a good sense of humor!thumbsup.gif

Thanks mate, you made my day. wai.gif

Your comment brought to mind a piece from a book available free online in pdf form, " The Golden Triangle Opium Trade" by prolific author Bertil Lintner, which I highly recommend. In the segment he recounted a very public "drug burning" in which witnesses, who were experienced enough to know the difference, claimed to have smelled the very distinct aroma of burning rice and straw.....not the opium and ganja that was supposed to have been destroyed.