california drivers license expired 5 years ago, renew?

stevehaigh

hi, does anyone know what i'll have to do when i get back to California about my long expired license?

can i renew without a test or do i need to take the written and/or driving test again?

i'll be going with a IDP from bangkok, will that help?

thx steve

(if you are going to tell me i don't need a CA DL, don't bother, i want one to buy and insure a car and its easier with CA license)

"...you must renew your license within 60 days of the day it expires."

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/renew-license.php

You should look in to the ramifications re: paying state taxes and filing state tax returns and jury duty.

That quote is regarding 'to legally get behind the wheel'.

I checked your link, and can not find the info the OP is looking for, it may be on form DL-44. But they are for sure not making this easy. Looks like application has to be done in person, address is required, etc.

Do agree with you that he would be wise to consider the ramifications regarding taxes etc.

Edited by stevenl

i hold a ca license but always keep it up to date,

last year i had to renew in person ( first time in 20 years) an they asked me to take the written test ( first time since i was 16!!!!)

all u can do is make an appt and see what they say.

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/drivers-permits.php#Lost-or-Expired-Permit

If your permit has expired, you must start the entire process again. This means resubmitting documents, paying the application fee of $32, and taking the required tests.

Dont think an idp would matter, but a thai license might help u avoid the drivng test

I file fed tax return yealry ( so my daughter gets grants/aid for college) but have not paid tax's in the states since 1998 after i lived there for 1 year,

have not filed ca tax since then.

as an american ur entitled to $92,000 or so before u have to pay livng as an expat.

I recall i was once called up for jury duty back in the late 80's but never went, nothing came of it

• Like 1

"...you must renew your license within 60 days of the day it expires."

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/renew-license.php

You should look in to the ramifications re: paying state taxes and filing state tax returns and jury duty.

That quote is regarding 'to legally get behind the wheel'.

I checked your link, and can not find the info the OP is looking for, it may be on form DL-44. But they are for sure not making this easy. Looks like application has to be done in person, address is required, etc.

Do agree with you that he would be wise to consider the ramifications regarding taxes etc.

i pay my taxes (or at least file returns) and i'm still registered to vote in CA but good point about jury duty, didn't think about that. still what can they do if they call me up? i'll be back in Thailand by then.

i saw some other place that i will have to take the written test again but may get out of the driving test, not sure

Edited by stevehaigh

as an american ur entitled to $92,000 or so before u have to pay livng as an expat.

Believe this is related to the IRS/Federal 1040 rather than any particular state, and it of course only covers the exemption on foreign-earned wages, salary, etc. rather than say investment income, and may not absolve one from the requirement to file a state return.

I know nothing about California, I merely recommended that the OP "look into the ramifications...".

You may be required to prove residency, like with an address and utility bill? They may issue a temporary license, and then mail the official license to your address of record.

still what can they do if they call me up? i'll be back in Thailand by then.

Not sure, maybe best to consult a lawyer. I've heard of some folks missing jury duty, then having a bench/arrest warrant issued, then other issues follow. Assuming you never want to go back, or renew a passport you should be fine.

Edited by lomatopo

If you had a CA driver license in the past, you do not need to take the driving test, but you will have to go in and take the written.

You will also need some prove of residence, although I think bank or credit card account showing a CA address will do.

Be not sure where or when you will be in CA, but be sure to make an appointment on the DMV website before you go, and don't go to a DMV office in a crappy area, as it will be a nightmare.

Once you get it, you can renew online.

Good luck!

• Like 1

You DO need to take the DRIVING test if your license is expired AND the written test.Dont let anyone tell you that you dont because from personal experience you must take the driving portion again if yours expires beyond the 2 month grace period. this is a FACT. learn it, know it, live it. I made a special trip there just this year to get my license. now let me tell you to save you some hassle and you can thank me later. you need all kinds of new documentation PROVING you live at the CA address that you say you do. go to their website and find out what. it aint pretty or easy and was mandated federally 2 or 3 years ago almost as a federal ID program. watch out.i almost didnt get mine. the good thing is that a portion of the documentation you need to show only one while other stuff like credit card and utility bills in YOUR name you show every 5 years. here is where it gets fun. an expired license gets you NOTHINGi.ALSO LET ME ADD that the eye test machine is like looking at balls of fuzz so have fun with that one.I failed the 1st try. my eyes are perfect, never worn glasses and I'm 51. fun stuff that drivers license nonsence. I was lucky that I'm in a lenient state with no sttate tax. I hate to think what CA is like. you'll be glad you read this post or you may hve wasted a trip. I wasted one but fortunately I had 1.5 years b4 expiry and came back. NIGHTMARE

Edited by Nana Cowboy

You DO need to take the DRIVING test if your license is expired AND the written test.Dont let anyone tell you that you dont because from personal experience you must take the driving portion again if yours expires beyond the 2 month grace period. this is a FACT. learn it, know it, live it. I made a special trip there just this year to get my license. now let me tell you to save you some hassle and you can thank me later. you need all kinds of new documentation PROVING you live at the CA address that you say you do. go to their website and find out what. it aint pretty or easy and was mandated federally 2 or 3 years ago almost as a federal ID program. watch out.i almost didnt get mine. the good thing is that a portion of the documentation you need to show only one while other stuff like credit card and utility bills in YOUR name you show every 5 years. here is where it gets fun. an expired license gets you NOTHINGi.ALSO LET ME ADD that the eye test machine is like looking at balls of fuzz so have fun with that one.I failed the 1st try. my eyes are perfect, never worn glasses and I'm 51. fun stuff that drivers license nonsence. I was lucky that I'm in a lenient state with no sttate tax. I hate to think what CA is like. you'll be glad you read this post or you may hve wasted a trip. I wasted one but fortunately I had 1.5 years b4 expiry and came back. NIGHTMARE

really. hum.

well all i want to do is buy an RV (cash), dive it from CA to NY (6 months) and sell it and of course insure it.

doesn't anyone know if i can do all that on a Thai license and IDP ?

UPDATE

look like i can register it

http://www.ask.com/answers/75124401/can-i-register-a-car-in-california-if-i-m-not-a-minor-and-have-no-drivers-license

although i may have to ask around a few places to get insurance without a CA DL

Edited by stevehaigh