Five reasons why you'll never last here in Thailand

Darren McKenzie

Reason 1: Exotic Thailand

At first, Thailand seems like an exotic paradise. But the sheen and the gloss and the appeal will wear off. What now seems "exotic" will soon seem mundane and ordinary.

And when the appeal goes, so will you.

Reason 2: You're a Superstar.

You want attention. You crave attention. You're desperate and emotionally needy. This is why girls back home aren't interested in you.

At first, you'll get all the attention you want. But it soon fades. Reality will hit you like a kick in the teeth. No one really cares about you. And when you discover the truth, you'll be gone.

Reason 3: I love Thai culture

Thai culture is great! It's so different! But after a while, you'll grow sick of it. You'll start to hate the Thai concept of "face". You'll loathe the apparent double standards and back stabbing. And you'll be gone.

Reason 4: Everyone is so open and honest.

This is a common pitfall. Thai people will talk to you. They'll tell you things. You'll think that you have their trust. Soon, though, you'll learn the truth. You're just an outsider, and you always will be. And then you'll be gone.

Reason 5: Thailand is wonderful -- I can live here

No. Very few farangs manage to go the distance. Living in Thailand for an extended period of time (ie, a decade or more) requires levels of emotional fortitude and adaptability that few people possess.

You probably do NOT have these attributes. Very soon, you'll be gone.

• Like 2

I really don't know what pleasure you get from making threads like this.

Last night you tried to tell us all that our Wives/GF's don't love us and tonight you are telling us that we will not last in Thailand.

What is your problem? Is it the Members of TV that you dislike so much or Thailand or Yourself?

• Like 2

I was full time for 12 years have been out for one and TBH I am finding it less appealing to return even though I still call it home. Reasons 3,5,1 are all real

At last .. someone gets it.

It's so refreshing to come across a long term expat who doesn't live here in a state of massive self-denial.

You say that reasons 3,5 and 1 are real.

Respectfully, all reasons outlined in my OP are real.

1. People that come here (or any where) for the novelty will not stay iof this remains the reason. This is of course true of anywhere; these sorts of people (itchy feet) will not settle anywhere unless they have to. I would suggest few of these could be considered expats anyway, they are more mid/long term visitors with a view to move on.

2. Yeah well this is your usual take on it - all men are here for the chicks (etc). People like you, those whose interest rarely move away from prostitutes and low class women, will stay as long as they can afford those "luxuries" (or they grow up). As usual you attempt to tar us all with your brush.

3. This is a subset of 1. No culture is perfect - you either prefer the culture here or that back home - the good and the bad.

4. "Tricks and treachery are the practice or fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest" and "Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other" (Ben Franklin). 'Nuf said.

5. Yep.

• Like 1

I was full time for 12 years have been out for one and TBH I am finding it less appealing to return even though I still call it home. Reasons 3,5,1 are all real

It's so refreshing to come across a long term expat who doesn't live here in a state of massive self-denial.

Got to 18 years and all of the above happened to greater or lesser degree. To be honest I have had more assistance in restarting my life in the UK from friends and family in 2 weeks than I got in 18 years in Thailand.

My wife is genuinely astonished. She really is surprised how people will do small favours for friends with no obvious effort at acknowledging the favour.

A hearty thank you, a nice meal and the knowledge that the favour won't be forgotten is enough.

The novelty of a 40 baht bowl of noodles in a filthy road side stall, surrounded by rats and street dogs wore off long ago.

It's not novel, it's just c**p.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

What our Darren McKenzie is describing are the feelings of some foreigners who decide to live in a foreign land that has a completely different culture.

He left out reason 6: It is easy to become isolated and become very lonely in Thailand.

All this should be taken into consideration before deciding to move here for the long term.

As the wise man says; one man`s meat, is another man`s poison, the OP`s analysis doesn`t apply to everybody.

• Like 1

Got to 18 years and all of the above happened to greater or lesser degree. To be honest I have had more assistance in restarting my life in the UK from friends and family in 2 weeks than I got in 18 years in Thailand.

My wife is genuinely astonished. She really is surprised how people will do small favours for friends with no obvious effort at acknowledging the favour.

A hearty thank you, a nice meal and the knowledge that the favour won't be forgotten is enough.

Thanks for sharing that. And all the very best to you, too.

Good luck, my friend.

I'm still here. And on the whole, I'm happy. But I now know exactly what's what. I'm not in denial.

Edited by Darren McKenzie

What our Darren McKenzie is describing are the feelings of some foreigners who decide to live in a foreign land that has a completely different culture.

He left out reason 6: It is easy to become isolated and become very lonely in Thailand.

All this should be taken into consideration before deciding to move here for the long term.

As the wise man says; one man`s meat, is another man`s poison, the OP`s analysis doesn`t apply to everybody.

Darren McKenzie ... left out reason 6: It is easy to become isolated and become very lonely in Thailand.

This is reason 6.

To survive here, you need to be something of a loner. If you need companionship from other farangs, you won't last. You'll be gone.

Thanks for sharing that. And all the very best to you, too.

Good luck, my friend.

I'm still here. And on the whole, I'm happy. But I now know exactly what's what. I'm not in denial.

Um. The clincher was education and actually an influx of foreigners into where I was living and working. I'm 39 not 69, and had little in common with these new arrivals.

When my kids are coming home and asking if Thailand is as rich as the UK, it's time to take stock and change direction. Thailand is just far too insular.

There is no realistic future for luuk kreung kids educated in Thailand, other than in the media. What I have found, is that to live well in Thailand and to live well in the UK isn't that far away in cost.

If you want to live on somtaam that's one thing, but if you would like to live a normal western middle level life style in Thailand, the cost us virtually identical.

• Like 2

1. People that come here (or any where) for the novelty will not stay iof this remains the reason. This is of course true of anywhere; these sorts of people (itchy feet) will not settle anywhere unless they have to. I would suggest few of these could be considered expats anyway, they are more mid/long term visitors with a view to move on.

2. Yeah well this is your usual take on it - all men are here for the chicks (etc). People like you, those whose interest rarely move away from prostitutes and low class women, will stay as long as they can afford those "luxuries" (or they grow up). As usual you attempt to tar us all with your brush.

3. This is a subset of 1. No culture is perfect - you either prefer the culture here or that back home - the good and the bad.

4. "Tricks and treachery are the practice or fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest" and "Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other" (Ben Franklin). 'Nuf said.

5. Yep.

Sorry, I overlooked this reply. You wrote:

People like you, those whose interest rarely move away from prostitutes and low class women, will stay as long as they can afford those "luxuries" (or they grow up).

Please, where exactly did I express a preference for prostitutes and low class women?

Darren, I have a newsflash for you : there are expats like you all over Asia. Thailand is not unique. Nor are Thai-based expats.

When my plane lands in Penang next year, I know there will be people who would like to tell me to get straight back on that plane and 'cut my losses'. Similarly, there are folk on my Indo forum who have had it with entrenched attitudes to things like corruption and an apparent 'who cares ?' attitude to rampant development. Cambo and PI also have expats who have been there for many years, and they aren't all holding hands and singing 'Koom-Bye-Ya' with new arrivals.

Let me sum it up for you : 'this isnt the Asia I signed up for !'. OK, and Sydney isn't the town I grew up in during the 70s and 80s - I'm guessing London isn't either. LA ? NYC ?

No easy answers on this one, but telling everyone on TV they 'wont last' seems a little cliched for mine.

Um. The clincher was education and actually an influx of foreigners into where I was living and working. I'm 39 not 69, and had little in common with these new arrivals.

When my kids are coming home and asking if Thailand is as rich as the UK, it's time to take stock and change direction. Thailand is just far too insular.

There is no realistic future for luuk kreung kids educated in Thailand, other than in the media. What I have found, is that to live well in Thailand and to live well in the UK isn't that far away in cost.

If you want to live on somtaam that's one thing, but if you would like to live a normal western middle level life style in Thailand, the cost us virtually identical.

I am just a few years older than you (though I was younger when I first moved here to live). Kids educated in a Thai way, and without familial contacts, are always going to struggle to make a decent wage (although often we can afford to put our kids through tertiary education). However, many of our kids are educated under western curricula (British/American/European) and the examining is globally accepted - English fluency along with Thai fluency and Thai ID card gives them a distinct advantage.

I agree that costs can be similar depending on life style. I believe though it is easier to live well here for less than trying to do likewise in the UK. People that come here for the "cheapness" are making a mistake - it is not a reason to be here (although it may well be a reason not to go back home!)

I am just a few years older than you (though I was younger when I first moved here to live). Kids educated in a Thai way, and without familial contacts, are always going to struggle to make a decent wage (although often we can afford to put our kids through tertiary education). However, many of our kids are educated under western curricula (British/American/European) and the examining is globally accepted - English fluency along with Thai fluency and Thai ID card gives them a distinct advantage.

I agree that costs can be similar depending on life style. I believe though it is easier to live well here for less than trying to do likewise in the UK. People that come here for the "cheapness" are making a mistake - it is not a reason to be here (although it may well be a reason not to go back home!)

My kids are bilingual. Reality is I know of several luuk kreung of older work colleagues who are massively struggling to get remotely close to the level of earnings comparable in the west.

One guy is 21 running an internet magazine in a very senior role, 38k, another works for a company in Bangkok, 24k. Ones daughter works in a hotel for 22k and another has given up after 3 years and is in the USA having quadrupled her salary instantly.

International school all in. The jobs just aren't there unless you have the connection. Paying 600k for international school of dubious quality is not value for money in my opinion.

If my kids want to come back to Thailand after they are educated that is up to them.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Darren, I have a newsflash for you : there are expats like you all over Asia. Thailand is not unique. Nor are Thai-based expats.

When my plane lands in Penang next year, I know there will be people who would like to tell me to get straight back on that plane and 'cut my losses'. Similarly, there are folk on my Indo forum who have had it with entrenched attitudes to things like corruption and an apparent 'who cares ?' attitude to rampant development. Cambo and PI also have expats who have been there for many years, and they aren't all holding hands and singing 'Koom-Bye-Ya' with new arrivals.

Let me sum it up for you : 'this isnt the Asia I signed up for !'. OK, and Sydney isn't the town I grew up in during the 70s and 80s - I'm guessing London isn't either. LA ? NYC ?

No easy answers on this one, but telling everyone on TV they 'wont last' seems a little cliched for mine.

Good. Well written.

I still maintain that very few farangs who attempt to settle here in LOS go the distance.

Maybe more go the distance in Malaysia; maybe not. I really don't know.

What I do know is that it's very unusual to come across farangs who've been here for a decade or more.

Sorry if this simple truth shatters any illusions. But that's just the way it is.

IMO, you need a small but well defined set of attributes (or personality characteristics) to live here "long time". Most dreamers (AKA love-struck tourists) do NOT have these character traits.

Good luck with Penang, by the way.

5. Yep.

People like you, those whose interest rarely move away from prostitutes and low class women, will stay as long as they can afford those "luxuries" (or they grow up).

Please, where exactly did I express a preference for prostitutes and low class women?

I didn't say you did state it directly - but your posts recently (as mentioned earlier by someone else) are related to such women and the misconception that this is the pool we fish in - and your point 2 is another example I feel. You must see that this infers quite loudly that it is the only area that you know (and a bitterness at having been burned from such association). I apologise if this is not so, but the inference is certainly there. If this is incorrect, and you do not intend such an inference, then maybe you should look at phrasing your OPs differently.

Good. Well written.

I still maintain that very few farangs who attempt to settle here in LOS go the distance.

Maybe more go the distance in Malaysia; maybe not. I really don't know.

What I do know is that it's very unusual to come across farangs who've been here for a decade or more.

Sorry if this simple truth shatters any illusions. But that's just the way it is.

IMO, you need a small but well defined set of attributes (or personality characteristics) to live here "long time". Most dreamers (AKA love-struck tourists) do NOT have these character traits.

Good luck with Penang, by the way.

You are right, I could not do 10 years here - I will move on as I have already lived in 7 different properties in 3 years in 4 different regions as I just get bored quickly.

My kids are bilingual. Reality is I know of several luuk kreung of older work colleagues who are massively struggling to get remotely close to the level of earnings comparable in the west.

One guy is 21 running an internet magazine in a very senior role, 38k, another works for a company in Bangkok, 24k. Ones daughter works in a hotel for 22k and another has given up after 3 years and is in the USA having quadrupled her salary instantly.

International school all in. The jobs just aren't there unless you have the connection. Paying 600k for international school of dubious quality is not value for money in my opinion.

If my kids want to come back to Thailand after they are educated that is up to them.

Sure. In my case I have two teenage daughter which I home school (British IGCSE curriculum). They will go back to the UK at 16 for their A Levels (I can also teach them - I have taught to college level), but that will qualify them to go to a British University as a citizen rather than as an international student (i.e. much greater cost). We have family in the UK (and several; other companies), so they will be able to decide whether to work in the UK or back here in Thailand. If back here, I would think they would aim for an international company rather than a Thai one (of course I have no idea what career they will choose and that will make a difference).

ASEAN in 2015 will probably make a lot of difference here at the corporate level and I think it unlikely wages will remain so stagnant for educated and qualified roles - English will become so much more important! There will also be more foreign companies over here recruiting - and Thai old-school-tie will be meaningless to them for all bar, possibly, fixers. Thai ID card, native English fluency, western qualifications they can trust -- I really think Thailand does not know how much 2015 will impact them!

Sure. In my case I have two teenage daughter which I home school (British IGCSE curriculum). They will go back to the UK at 16 for their A Levels (I can also teach them - I have taught to college level), but that will qualify them to go to a British University as a citizen rather than as an international student (i.e. much greater cost). We have family in the UK (and several; other companies), so they will be able to decide whether to work in the UK or back here in Thailand. If back here, I would think they would aim for an international company rather than a Thai one (of course I have no idea what career they will choose and that will make a difference).

ASEAN in 2015 will probably make a lot of difference here at the corporate level and I think it unlikely wages will remain so stagnant for educated and qualified roles - English will become so much more important! There will also be more foreign companies over here recruiting - and Thai old-school-tie will be meaningless to them for all bar, possibly, fixers. Thai ID card, native English fluency, western qualifications they can trust -- I really think Thailand does not know how much 2015 will impact them!

The western education with the Thai passport and language is worth 10 times more than the international school in Thailand. I went to boarding school in the UK and met up with a Thai kid who was there who is now working for a major bank.

He's an unbearably arrogant bangkok kid who got virtually nowhere in the British system. He brings clients and his daddy is part of Chang beer. He gets paid a fortune because he is known to have been schooled outside for a lifetime not just university.

ASEAN won't make any difference because the Thais won't let it rain on their parade. At the end of it, Thailand will not be the regional centre for businesses because the legal system doesn't allow it.

Singapore wins and if you want to go work down there, Thai high school and university is pointless.

• Like 1

It's the OP, Darren, it's right there.

The western education with the Thai passport and language is worth 10 times more than the international school in Thailand. I went to boarding school in the UK and met up with a Thai kid who was there who is now working for a major bank.

He's an unbearably arrogant bangkok kid who got virtually nowhere in the British system. He brings clients and his daddy is part of Chang beer. He gets paid a fortune because he is known to have been schooled outside for a lifetime not just university.

ASEAN won't make any difference because the Thais won't let it rain on their parade. At the end of it, Thailand will not be the regional centre for businesses because the legal system doesn't allow it.

Singapore wins and if you want to go work down there, Thai high school and university is pointless.

Thailand have signed up to ASEAN, and like the EU there are free trade agreements and companies will be able to come here from other ASEAN companies (as will workers). I know someone (a farang) that consults with businesses here about it (he says that Thai companies have no idea what the Gov. has signed up for - and they are in no way making the right moves to be ready for it). They will have to follow those rules or fall fail of the penalties. Singaporean companies will very likely come here because of the cheap land and work force, and it has better international connections than most of the other areas that ASEAN brings them. The biggest problem of business in Singapore is the expense of land (it is tiny) and the cost of the work force (and the local laws to protect workers/minimum wage etc there is much more restrictive than here - but ASEAN will change that a little I would think). I really think there will be big changes for Thailand, like it or not - even if they pull out it will affect them.

Agreed Thai qualification is not beneficial. My kids qualifications are all British - IGCSE is marked by Cambridge Exam Board and is no different from kids taking them in the UK. Thai companies would not know if they were educated in the UK or not - both were born in the UK and privately schooled from 2 in the UK until about 5 years ago. They speak fluent English with English accents - and also Thai.

The only thing against them could be contacts (assuming ASEAN makes no difference) - in our case that's OK as we have some, but many look-kreung will not. BTW many Singaporean private schools do the IGCSE examinations.

I think the wally in your story above, the western educated Bangkokian, has the job because he both had the right qualifications and language skills but more so that he had the contacts (which is, as you show, his real benefit to the bank). If he had got the same from Prem, he would likely still have the job.

It's the OP, Darren, it's right there.

I know what you mean. You're referring to this:

=====================================

Reason 2: You're a Superstar.

You want attention. You crave attention. You're desperate and emotionally needy. This is why girls back home aren't interested in you.

At first, you'll get all the attention you want. But it soon fades. Reality will hit you like a kick in the teeth. No one really cares about you. And when you discover the truth, you'll be gone.

=====================================

But what you fail to understand is that the above quote isn't about me. It's about you. The above quote crystallizes your presence here in Thailand.

Do not EVER tell me that you come to Thailand for the food or the culture or the history. I know exactly why you come here.

I know too that you wouldn't come here if Thailand were affluent or predominantly Muslim.

I'm sorry Mr Dancealot - but I know exactly who and what you are.