Visit of an unknown length...

Hi all,

I have lived in Thailand previously on tourist visas, and more recently on a Non-Imm 'O' (Marriage) visa. However, since April I have been working on contract in the US. I am due to head back to Thailand (with my wife) on the 5th November. My US visa states that I must leave the country once my contract expires, and my employer has already booked my onward travel. So I have no time to visit a US based consulate to apply for a visa.

I am a UK Passport holder and 26 years old. I have an account with Bangkok bank that I keep 450k THB in for visa purposes. But due a medical emergency with the inlaws that dipped below 380k last month. All other money is in the US, UK or Cash (USD).

We expect to stay in Thailand for no longer than four months, probably closer to 90-days. Is the easiest option for me to just get my 30-day tourist visa on arrival and then extend it? What extensions are available these days?

I will be arriving (by plane) at BKK from MIA.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.

Easiest would be to apply for a non-immigrant visa by mail, based on your marriage to a Thai.

The problem with a visa exempt entry (it is not a tourist visa you are referring to) is that the airline might require to see a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival or deny you boarding.

Can I apply for the Non-Imm visa, based on marriage, by mail, whilst in Thailand?

What financial points would I need to meet? I know my previous one was 400k in my bank for six months (from Kuala Lumpur). I spotted on other threads it is now as high as 800k!

Either way I would not meet even the 400k marker as my account dipped below that mark last month.

Thanks, Tom.

Note: Whilst in the US, my employer holds my passport until the day I leave.

Edited by vexape

Sounds like Loas would be a good option. What evidence would I need for the Non-Imm 'O' there? Wedding certificate, passport, photos?

I will be traveling with my wife, so that may assist?

Thanks again, Tom.

"Note: Whilst in the US, my employer holds my passport until the day I leave."

I would be interested to learn if what is described is actually legal.

I have worked in many places around the world but my passport has always remained within my personal possession.

i would demand the return of the passport . you could then obtain an appropriate visa via post.

Sounds like Loas would be a good option. What evidence would I need for the Non-Imm 'O' there? Wedding certificate, passport, photos?

I will be traveling with my wife, so that may assist?

Thanks again, Tom.

Having your wife with you will certainly help.

See for a recent report about obtaining a visa there here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/658691-non-o-multiple-entry-savannakhet-now-requires-proof-of-finances/page-2?p=6703547#entry6703547

• Like 1

Hi Sceptict,

Annoyingly it is legal. I am the Communications Manager for a large cruise ship company. Whilst on contract I live aboard their ships whilst updating and testing the systems.

I am however a UK citizen which means I am allowed to carry two passports at once. I will be applying for a second passport. One for me to carry, one for the company to 'hold'. Although I will only have this in time for my next contract, not this one.

Tom.

Edited by vexape

You could easily get 60 day extension of any type of entry or you could change to 90 day O visa with 400k on bank for the day on basis of later extension of stay after 60 days. The only 'if' is getting on flight so if a problem you could buy ticket in 30 days airport and use for visa trip or just throw away or refund.

"Note: Whilst in the US, my employer holds my passport until the day I leave."

I would be interested to learn if what is described is actually legal.

I have worked in many places around the world but my passport has always remained within my personal possession.

i would demand the return of the passport . you could then obtain an appropriate visa via post.

It's,of course, completely illegal. Recently, a pricess from a mid-east country got arrested in California just for that, plus various mistreatment to an employee.

You Have the Right to:
Keep your passport and other identification documents in your possession;
Also, if one need to stay in the USA after the work period has expired, can file for a change of status. Depending of the Visa details, is some case that is not even necessary.

Unfortunately we fall under Bahamian employment law, not US employment law. Althought we are based in the US, the various ships that we operate are flagged in the Bahamas. And therefor fall under Bahamian law.

I will approach and see if I can get my passport for the purpose of obtaining a visa. I only have 40 days remaining here, so hopefully I can get it done in that time.

Does anyone have any experience with the speed of postage visas in the US?

Tom.

Forty days is plenty of time to get the visa. A couple of days is enough in person.

What port are you operating from?

Here is a list of consulates in US. http://www.visetkaew.com/wp/directories/

The honorary consulates cannot accept mail in applications. That leaves the embassy and 3 official consulates than can be slow but you have plenty of time.

Edited by ubonjoe

Unfortunately we fall under Bahamian employment law, not US employment law. Althought we are based in the US, the various ships that we operate are flagged in the Bahamas. And therefor fall under Bahamian law.

Not to insist, but when ships are docked in port (internal waters - check definition in link below), they fall all under all the US and State laws. Your case is further enforced from you having an US work Visa but not the passport in your possession while on US soil. I understand you may not want to stir trouble with your employer, but they are in the wrong by holding your passport while in the US. If you don't believe me, just have a chat with the local Port Authority.

http://www.gc.noaa.gov/gcil_maritime.html

Edited by paz

Not to insist, but when ships are docked in port (internal waters - check definition in link below), they fall all under all the US and State laws. Your case is further enforced from you having an US work Visa but not the passport in your possession while on US soil. I understand you may not want to stir trouble with your employer, but they are in the wrong by holding your passport while in the US. If you don't believe me, just have a chat with the local Port Authority.

Agreed, and even in the Bahamas they are not allowed to keep it against our wishes.

We are only in US waters for eight hours, twice a week. When we arrive/depart US waters my passport is required to be in my possesion (or in our case, held by the ships HR unit). So I still cannot send my passport off to an embassy whilst on contract here. If I did, I would not be allowed back on the ship (to enter the Bahamas or leave the US).

I am able to access my passport at any time. But I'm not able to travel without it being on the ship. The easiest way for the company to make sure all 860 crew have their passports is to have them all in the HR office.

Tom.

Agreed, and even in the Bahamas they are not allowed to keep it against our wishes.

We are only in US waters for eight hours, twice a week. When we arrive/depart US waters my passport is required to be in my possesion (or in our case, held by the ships HR unit). So I still cannot send my passport off to an embassy whilst on contract here. If I did, I would not be allowed back on the ship (to enter the Bahamas or leave the US).

I am able to access my passport at any time. But I'm not able to travel without it being on the ship. The easiest way for the company to make sure all 860 crew have their passports is to have them all in the HR office.

Tom.

Tom

It was me who originally raised the question of the legality of your company retaining your passport.

Having read your explanation (above) I think (only think!) I now understand your problem. smile.png

It would seem you are an ideal candidate for a second (justifiable) passport if your country of origin allows.

Best wishes

Hi Sceptict,

Thanks, it is a bit of a strange situation that not many people are familiar with, understandably.

For this trip back to Thailand I'll either head to Laos and get a Non-Imm 'O' - Marriage visa. Or head to Kuala Lumpur for a week holiday to get a tourist visa (if they still do them there?).

All I need now is to find out when my next contract begins, so I can plan my stay in Thailand! It could be as short as two weeks!

As mentioned, hopefully, by the time I next have a holiday I will have two passports, and will then be able to obtains visa's through post. Much easier.

Cheers, Tom.