Abhisit postpones 2010 crackdown deaths trial

webfact

Good that you conveniently omit Mr T would also be facing a host of serious charges had he actually returned to Thailand after he used the excuse of attending the Olympics & promising to return.

None of them anywhere near as serious as those faced by Abhisit and Suthep.The human rights offences with which Thaksin might have been charged with (drugs war, repession in the South) have never been followed up on, possibly because his persecutors were enthusiastic proponents of these policies.The honest answer is of course that the charges against both Thaksin and Abhisit are politically motivated.We know for certain from Wikileaks and elsewhere the old guard was out to "get" Thaksin and were desparate to find some hook to hang a case on.I daresay a similar process took place to "get" Abhisit, though not much searching around is needed given his personal role in presiding over a massacre.In a sane world there would be some kind of negotiation.But sanity is not a easily found commodity in Thai politics.

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 2

I'm not quite sure what principles are being upheld by Abhisit refusing to turn up at the courts - just like the Red Bull youth.It seems a little ironic that Abhisit boasts of his respect for the courts and Thai justice, and then finds a weird excuses to avoid his case being considered.Perhaps I am being premature and he will turn up next month - we shall see.But as several members pointed out months ago everyone in this game knows Abhisit will never serve a day in prison - even though his alleged crime is far worse than the relatively trivial crime with which Thaksin has been charged.He knows it, the educated Thai population knows it and Thaksin knows it.the only group that don't know it are the usual suspects.

I didn't realise that Abhisit was hiding in Singapore after missing 5 other court appearances ... just like the Red Bull youth.

I also didn't realise that the prosecution not being ready was a weird excuse to avoid a case in the courts.

I'm not quite sure what principles are being upheld by Abhisit refusing to turn up at the courts - just like the Red Bull youth.It seems a little ironic that Abhisit boasts of his respect for the courts and Thai justice, and then finds a weird excuses to avoid his case being considered.Perhaps I am being premature and he will turn up next month - we shall see.But as several members pointed out months ago everyone in this game knows Abhisit will never serve a day in prison - even though his alleged crime is far worse than the relatively trivial crime with which Thaksin has been charged.He knows it, the educated Thai population knows it and Thaksin knows it.the only group that don't know it are the usual suspects.

I didn't realise that Abhisit was hiding in Singapore after missing 5 other court appearances ... just like the Red Bull youth.

I also didn't realise that the prosecution not being ready was a weird excuse to avoid a case in the courts.

He doesn't need to hide.He knows he is safe as far as the Thai courts are concerned.We have no real idea what his weird excuse is - but he clearly isn't taking the matter seriously.Why should he? He's untouchable notwithstanding the seriousness of his alleged crimes - though I think the case he's skipped is just the footling one relating to alleged evasion of national service.

The prosecution position was mentioned only as a secondary event.Abhisit took the initiative in postponing the proceedings.

He doesn't need to hide.He knows he is safe as far as the Thai courts are concerned.We have no real idea what his weird excuse is - but he clearly isn't taking the matter seriously.Why should he? He's untouchable notwithstanding the seriousness of his alleged crimes - though I think the case he's skipped is just the footling one relating to alleged evasion of national service.

The prosecution position was mentioned only as a secondary event.Abhisit took the initiative in postponing the proceedings.

In other words, nothing like the Red Bull youth.

It seems you're having trouble reading, since his "weird excuse" is in the OP.

"However, the lawyers representing the pair have postponed the trial, citing the busy schedule of Mr. Abhisit and Mr. Suthep who are serving as MPs."

The prosecution position was mentioned by the journalist as a secondary event, but it is quite relevant to proceedings.

A lot of folks here seem to be presuming that Abhisit actually committed some crime during the Red Shirt riots...

Ultimately, the courts will decide whether he did or didn't.

But IMHO, it was the protesters who were the ones committing the crimes, and the government trying to cope with that.

Are we going to start calling it "murder" every time a policeman kills an armed criminal in the course of committing a crime?

Did innocent people get killed in the Red Shirts melee because they were mixed in with the rioting criminals... undoubtedly so. Can any reasonable person call the government's response at that time to the Red Shirts riots a case of intentional mass murder... not likely.

Even if some Army personnel overreacted and began shooting indiscriminately, I'd think it's going to be pretty hard to prove or show that Abhisit through his official actions somehow directed or condoned that kind of conduct.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

A lot of folks here seem to be presuming that Abhisit actually committed some crime during the Red Shirt riots...

Ultimately, the courts will decide whether he did or didn't.

But IMHO, it was the protesters who were the ones committing the crimes, and the government trying to cope with that.

Are we going to start calling it "murder" every time a policeman kills an armed criminal in the course of committing a crime?

Did innocent people get killed in the Red Shirts melee because they were mixed in with the rioting criminals... undoubtedly so. Can any reasonable person call the government's response at that time to the Red Shirts riots a case of intentional mass murder... not likely.

Even if some Army personnel overreacted and began shooting indiscriminately, I'd think it's going to be pretty hard to prove or show that Abhisit through his official actions somehow directed or condoned that kind of conduct.

Some perspective here guys!

No international court would uphold a murder charge against Abhisit . It would be the thin edge of the wedge for countless national leaders, not least Thaksin himself who is still vilified in the south for his part in the Tak Bai incident.

The charges were brought to scare KA but some seem to forget he's a Geordie boy educated in England and made of sterner stuff than your average Thai.

• Like 1