Cost of milk in thailand

Minpin

Not in Thailand at the moment. Going to try cheese making when I return. The kit is 10 pounds sterling makes 5 pounds weight of cheese.

It needs 5 liters milk per pound of cheese. What is the cost of milk in a supermarket today.

Wonder if it is cost effective to make.

Maybe less cost and hassle just buying readymade.

It's about 76 baht in Tesco Lotus and I've just paid 84.50 for the same thing in 7/11. If you go to Lotus late in the evening though, the prices are often marked down fairly significantly.

Sadly, I am currently nowhere near a Lotus and am relying on 7/11.

It's about 76 baht in Tesco Lotus and I've just paid 84.50 for the same thing in 7/11. If you go to Lotus late in the evening though, the prices are often marked down fairly significantly.

Sadly, I am currently nowhere near a Lotus and am relying on 7/11.

Not been to Tesco Lotus for years, 60 KM round trip, there is a small Tesco Express 5 KM round trip, but 7/11 is just outside the Village.. mostly shop at Big C Extra 1x week only 35 KM round trip + Makro every other month... problem with 7/11 things like Milk often do not have any.

I am under the impression that most of what is sold as milk here is made from powdered milk. What is not made from powder is rare and I pay 70 baht per liter in the supermarket.

You are under the wrong impression, all the milk sold as fresh milk is exactly that...fresh milk and not made from powder.

How do I know....my GF used work in a milk factory and was responsible for testing the milk as it arrived from the farms.

I am under the impression that most of what is sold as milk here is made from powdered milk. What is not made from powder is rare and I pay 70 baht per liter in the supermarket.

You are under the wrong impression, all the milk sold as fresh milk is exactly that...fresh milk and not made from powder.

How do I know....my GF used work in a milk factory and was responsible for testing the milk as it arrived from the farms.

I've seen this powdered milk assertion many times on Thaivisa. It seems very unlikely that major international corporations like Meiji, Foremost, Allowrie, etc. would allow their milk to be adulterated with powder.

I tried to prove or disprove his rumour using imports of milk powder as a base..

For sure 30 years ago there was little or no fresh milk. The rumour probably started from thoses times. I remember every supermarket sold large bags of powdered milk. The only fresh milk was claimed by the company that used the red cow as their logo. Came in 1/2 litre sachets.

I did come across the NZ milk board website for around 2009, which said they exported 2000 tonnes of powdered milk to Thailand. Dates and amounts could be wrong as I can not be bothered to search the web again. We also have no idea what the powder was used for, maybe baking or ice cream etc