Bill Gates admits Control-Alt-Delete was a mistake, blames IBM

webfact

Is my memory better than that of Mr Gates ? I am so old, I can remember using desktop computers before the IBM-pc was introduced. These early desk-top microcomputers ( as they were called, to differentiate from the "under the desk" minis in use at that time) gave the option of using either MS-DOS or CPM as operating systems. I am fairly sure this early MS-DOS included CTRL ALT DEL. It was a Gates invention, before IBM became involved. I still have a 5¼" boot disk somewhere, but no microcomputer to run it. Can any of our mature readers confirm if any part of my memory is correct ? Oh ! nostalgia,,,,,,,

Edited by bumpkin

bumpkin, on 28 Sept 2013 - 19:21, said:

Is my memory better than that of Mr Gates ? I am so old, I can remember using desktop computers before the IBM-pc was introduced. These early desk-top microcomputers ( as they were called, to differentiate from the "under the desk" minis in use at that time) gave the option of using either MS-DOS or CPM as operating systems. I am fairly sure this early MS-DOS included CTRL ALT DEL. It was a Gates invention, before IBM became involved. I still have a 5¼" boot disk somewhere, but no microcomputer to run it. Can any of our mature readers confirm if any part of my memory is correct ? Oh ! nostalgia,,,,,,,

The CTRL ALT DEL key combo was being intercepted by the BIOS during the MS-DOS days and had nothing to do with the operating system. It's purpose was to reboot the computer (stil does actually). Starting from Windows 3.1 this combo would invoke the task-manager and later it was used for the Windows Logon procedure plus other tasks..