Advice for Teen girl with black menstrural flow

dontcrytry

My daughter is 15 years of age and has been menstruating for a little over 3 years. Until recently there have been no issues to be concerned about during her period. Over the past month, however, although the initial flow was normal with only red blood, the period lasted for 11 days, then stopped for around 6 days, then started again with a steady, though limited, flow of very dark to black discharge, which persists to now. That is accompanied by a lot of thick jelly like sunstance that seems to make an appearance only when she takes a shower in the morning and afternoon. There is no offensive odor involved, so it is unlikely to be of a bacterial origin. Can anyone shed light on if this is a natural occurance brought on by a hormonal change she is passing through, or if I should be concerned that it is something that needs urgent medical attention.

As you are aware your daughters period has been atypical during the last month.

In view of her young age I would suggest you arrange for her to see a female gynaecologist.

If the young lady agrees it would be helpful if you were to accompany her thus ensuring the whole story is told!

(I am presuming your daughter is not yet sexually active)

Black just means the blood is old and in itself is not a concern.

Clear jelly like discharge is completely normal and will be especially noticeable at the time of ovulation.

However prolonged menstruation like this is abnormal and warrants a trip to a gynecologist.

I disagree though with the idea of you going along, may inhibit disclosure of important things to the doctor. Have her Mom or other female relative - one that she is close to, most apt to confide in -- go along. And unless she requests otherwise, let her see the doctor in privacy.

• Like 2

Black just means the blood is old and in itself is not a concern.

Clear jelly like discharge is completely normal and will be especially noticeable at the time of ovulation.

However prolonged menstruation like this is abnormal and warrants a trip to a gynecologist.

I disagree though with the idea of you going along, may inhibit disclosure of important things to the doctor. Have her Mom or other female relative - one that she is close to, most apt to confide in -- go along. And unless she requests otherwise, let her see the doctor in privacy.

Whoops

I had assumed Mum was the OP!

Doubke whoops, I assumed the father, actually we don't know which for sure.

Either way what I was getting it is that however much the parent thinks the girl fully confides in them there may be things behind this that she isn't willing to confide and the important thing is to get her to a doctor, assurred she can speak in confidence to same.

It may not be necessary, but it is possible that there are factors behind this she doesn't wish to share with a parent.

Either way what I was getting it is that however much the parent thinks the girl fully confides in them there may be things behind this that she isn't willing to confide and the important thing is to get her to a doctor, assurred she can speak in confidence to same.

It may not be necessary, but it is possible that there are factors behind this she doesn't wish to share with a parent.

Absolutely agree !

As the OP is well aware of the full details including dates and time it is important he/she attends to make sure all is told... something which is less likely when a 15 year old is talking to complete strangers (gyno and nurse).

It's also important that the parent is there to get all the detailed information first hand that the doctor will disclose about the condition and prescription drugs.

Edited by tropo

Thank you for your responses, which have been helpful. Due to our location (at least 120 km from the nearest real hospital) and the fact the only doctor (who is located in a closer community) is considered by most locals to be 'less than competent' (and by a fair percentage of local women to be, quote: "a dirty old man") - not someone I would want my daughter to be spread out in front of [even if she would agree to such an invasion - which she wouldn't] - I thought I would try to get some information from other mothers and/or young women who might have experienced something similar. There is no pain or other adverse conditions (not already mentioned) that accompany my daughter's discharge.

I have no recollection of going through anything similar during my own transition at that age, but if it is not uncommon and is in some cases part and parcel of growing up for girls passing through their puberty stages then a hospital visit would be fruitless with nothing really achieved. Also, there is no chance of my husband, or I, agreeing to her taking contraceptive pills simply to test if they help, and drugs of any kind are considered a no-go zone in our home and a detriment to overall well-being regardless of what they are.

On the other hand, if this appearance of black/brown blood is abnormal or unusual and could be an indication of a more complicated situation, then a hospital visit would be the only sensible avenue to take. FYI, though: there are no secrets between our daugher and her parents, and it is unlikely that she would even consider a private consultation with a doctor (even if we agreed to allow one).

Thanks again

As the OP is well aware of the full details including dates and time it is important he/she attends to make sure all is told... something which is less likely when a 15 year old is talking to complete strangers (gyno and nurse).

It's also important that the parent is there to get all the detailed information first hand that the doctor will disclose about the condition and prescription drugs.

As stated before, the "black" part is of no concern, but any menstruation lasting more than 7 days is abnormal and needs to be checked out. You state 11 days, and that part -- not the spotting of dark ("black") blood -is what signals the need for medical investigation.

This link covers the possible causes of menhorragia in adolescents and recommended diagnostic approach. Among other things she needs to be screened for coagulation disorders and anemia.

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/720869_5

Treatment at less than a "real" hospital is not likely to be worth it. Needs to be at least a provincial hospital.

I doubt much will be lost if another month or two is allowed to go by.

The girls "normal" pattern of menstruation may well become re-established.

If , however , a normal pattern is not re-established within the very near future then medical advise MUST be sought.

Its a pity that the parents seem to harbor some antipathy toward the medical profession.

The rejection of "drugs" would seem to indicate a somewhat extreme stance.

I am left wondering under what circumstances would medication be acceptable ?

Thank you for your responses, which have been helpful. Due to our location (at least 120 km from the nearest real hospital) and the fact the only doctor (who is located in a closer community) is considered by most locals to be 'less than competent' (and by a fair percentage of local women to be, quote: "a dirty old man") - not someone I would want my daughter to be spread out in front of [even if she would agree to such an invasion - which she wouldn't] - I thought I would try to get some information from other mothers and/or young women who might have experienced something similar. There is no pain or other adverse conditions (not already mentioned) that accompany my daughter's discharge.

I have no recollection of going through anything similar during my own transition at that age, but if it is not uncommon and is in some cases part and parcel of growing up for girls passing through their puberty stages then a hospital visit would be fruitless with nothing really achieved. Also, there is no chance of my husband, or I, agreeing to her taking contraceptive pills simply to test if they help, and drugs of any kind are considered a no-go zone in our home and a detriment to overall well-being regardless of what they are.

On the other hand, if this appearance of black/brown blood is abnormal or unusual and could be an indication of a more complicated situation, then a hospital visit would be the only sensible avenue to take. FYI, though: there are no secrets between our daugher and her parents, and it is unlikely that she would even consider a private consultation with a doctor (even if we agreed to allow one).

Thanks again

My wife has had very irregular periods and very heavy, long ones that don't stop (menorrhagia)... and worst of all primary dysmenorrhea.

If there is any doubt, we always go to see a competent gynecologist. I would never visit a regular doctor. Just the piece of mind that everything has been checked out and it's OK is worth the visit. I can just imagine the stress this is causing your daughter.

If I were you I would have had your daughter down to see one long ago. The fact that you're 120 km from the nearest hospital is neither here nor there, because that's a risk (inconvenience) you took when you decided to live in the middle of nowhere. It's your daughters health at stake here.

To be honest, I'm amazed you're still sitting around here talking about it.

My mother would have had me to the doctors before you could spell tampax...

I am seriously worried about this young girl, and i know i can't do anything from thousands of miles away. This could also have repercussions on her future fertility and being able to have children.

• Like 1

Thanks for this information Sheryl. This is one of the 'very few' actually helpful post submitted in this thread and it is much appreciated (most have been nothing less than illinformed stupidity and insulting). We have digested all of the advise available at this link and dicided that, as this is the first time this problem has made an appearence, and that as the dark discharge has now ceased almost entirely, we will wait until next month's period. If it makes its presence again we will take a visit the general hospital for a thorough investigation.

Thanks a lot also to the couple of others who have tried to be helpful.

This thread needs no further input and we will proceed as above from here.

Thanks again.

As stated before, the "black" part is of no concern, but any menstruation lasting more than 7 days is abnormal and needs to be checked out. You state 11 days, and that part -- not the spotting of dark ("black") blood -is what signals the need for medical investigation.

This link covers the possible causes of menhorragia in adolescents and recommended diagnostic approach. Among other things she needs to be screened for coagulation disorders and anemia.

Treatment at less than a "real" hospital is not likely to be worth it. Needs to be at least a provincial hospital.

Thanks for this information Sheryl. This is one of the 'very few' actually helpful post submitted in this thread and it is much appreciated (most have been nothing less than illinformed stupidity and insulting). We have digested all of the advise available at this link and dicided that, as this is the first time this problem has made an appearence, and that as the dark discharge has now ceased almost entirely, we will wait until next month's period. If it makes its presence again we will take a visit the general hospital for a thorough investigation.

Thanks a lot also to the couple of others who have tried to be helpful.

This thread needs no further input and we will proceed as above from here.

Thanks again.

Sounds like a reasonable plan. Do follow up if it recurs, or if there are any other signs indicative of a coagulation problem (e.g. excessive bruising).

Thread closed per OP's statement that all needed info has now been obtained.