Russian dive instructor drowns at Racha Noi Island

webfact

Russian dive instructor drowns at Racha Noi Island
Phuket Gazette

racha.jpg
Denis Lipatov drowned at Racha Noi Island, south of popular day-trip destination Rahca Yai, pictured above. Photo: Jeff Gunn

PHUKET: -- A Russian dive instructor who worked in Phuket drowned off Racha Noi Island on Saturday afternoon.

Denis Lipatov, 39, was at the island with friends when he developed a cramp while swimming at about 5pm. By the time he was rescued he was unconscious, and efforts to resuscitate him failed.

His friends returned to Chalong pier with his body, where they were met by police and rescue workers, said Chalong Police Superintendent Kritapas Dazintharasorn.

Racha Noi Island is an uninhabited island south of the popular day-trip island, Racha Yai.

Col Kritapas urged all beachgoers to follow safety precautions when swimming or diving.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Russian-dive-instructor-drowns-at-Racha-Noi-Island-22373.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-30

I don't believe it! Every dive instructor (even the Russians) know how to treat a simply cramp, especially by himself! There must be more to the story...

Anyway, RIP

He was freediving and spearfishing.

Is that not a National Park?

No fishing then?

No, no national park or marine reserve there.

Geez I hope not! I get cramps in my feet every time I go swimming in the pool! It can often be due to the kicking action of the feet.

Apparently if cramping is the result of blood vessels narrowing, then yes, one could be at more risk of a heart attack.

I don't believe it! Every dive instructor (even the Russians) know how to treat a simply cramp, especially by himself! There must be more to the story...

Anyway, RIP

Cramp or shallow water black out? The latter occurs when the diver blacks out due to lack of oxygen which can happen if he free dives too deep and doesn't make it to the surface in time. He doesn't asphyxiate he simply blacks out.